Sign in to follow this  
Guest buck1107

Problems with the program

Guest buck1107

I am running Win 98, and Orbiter sometimes runs fine, while at other times, it fails to start. I've made several separate installs (clean ones) in order to make certain that I wasn't writing over anything, etc., but that hasn't made a difference. I start Orbiter, set the scenarios, etc., and then click on the "Orbiter" button, and then nothing happens. Once in a while, the program will run, however.Would anyone have any suggestions as to something I could do for this?Thanks,Buck

Make sure you have the latest DirectX and video drivers installed. Also, see if some scenarios will start while others don't.Peter http://bfu.avsim.net/sigpics/PeterR.gifBFU Forums ModeratorRenegade/Seawolf Design Group (RSDG)[table border=2 cellpadding=0 cellspacing=1][tr][td][table border=0 cellpadding=8 cellspacing=0][tr][td bgcolor=#6f0000]http://bfu.avsim.net/sigpics/logo75t.gif[/td][td align="center" bgcolor=#FFFFF6]Bush Flying Unlimited"At home in the wild"Looking for adventure? Come join us! * [link:bfu.avsim.net|Web Site] * [link:www.cafepress.com/bfu,bfu2,bfu3,bfu4|BFU Store] * [link:bfu.avsim.net/join.htm]Join!][/td][/tr][/table][/td][/tr][/table

Guest buck1107

Hey thanks,I'll sure try those options. :)

Guest buck1107

Hi,Well, I've upgraded the DirectX and my video driver, and have a basic install of Orbiter (latest release) in a "backup folder." I've duplicated the folder in the "orbiter folder" with some additional missions. Some work fine, while in others, there is no ship. Also, on a few of them, after they're selected, nothing happens. Would this be a video card problem?Thanks,Buck

Guest ChristopherT

>Hi,>Well, I've upgraded the DirectX and my video driver, and have>a basic install of Orbiter (latest release) in a "backup>folder." I've duplicated the folder in the "orbiter folder">with some additional missions. Some work fine, while in>others, there is no ship. Also, on a few of them, after>they're selected, nothing happens. Would this be a video card>problem?>>Thanks,>Buck What are your system specs? Mine: P2 Celeron, 300mhz with 64meg RAM Win98 on a 4 gig WD hard drive with 600 megs free SiS 6326 SVGA AGP card with 8meg VIDRAM (DirectX 8.0) CMedia Soundpro sound system with Soundblaster emulation. Are you at least getting the Launchpad to start when youfirst doubleclick on Orbiter.exe? If so, what happens when you select a scenario and hit the "Orbiter" button to startthe simulation? Did you unzip the Orbiter archives usingthe "USE FOLDER NAMES" option checked on in Winzip? Christopher

Guest buck1107

>>Hi,>>Well, I've upgraded the DirectX and my video driver, and>have>>a basic install of Orbiter (latest release) in a "backup>>folder." I've duplicated the folder in the "orbiter folder">>with some additional missions. Some work fine, while in>>others, there is no ship. Also, on a few of them, after>>they're selected, nothing happens. Would this be a video>card>>problem?>>>>Thanks,>>Buck> > What are your system specs?>> Mine:> P2 Celeron, 300mhz with 64meg RAM> Win98 on a 4 gig WD hard drive with 600 megs free> SiS 6326 SVGA AGP card with 8meg VIDRAM (DirectX 8.0)> CMedia Soundpro sound system with Soundblaster emulation.>> Are you at least getting the Launchpad to start when you>first doubleclick on Orbiter.exe? If so, what happens when >you select a scenario and hit the "Orbiter" button to start>the simulation? Did you unzip the Orbiter archives using>the "USE FOLDER NAMES" option checked on in Winzip?>> Christopher>> Hi Christopher,I am useing a 13G HD with 128M RAM, running Win 98. My video card is Voodoo 3. I have about 1G of HD space free. I'm not sure off hand, how much Ram my video card has.I've selected the "create folders" option in Winzip, as well.I'm wondering if I need to download the ships separately? I know many are included with the scenarios, but... :)Thanks,Buck

I think the Voodoo3 might be limited to 256x256 textures. If you're using any hires textures, try removing them.Regarding scenarios, make sure that you have the ships to which they refer. If not, you'll need to download them.Another source of potential problems is a scenario that starts with an invalid radio frequency selected. When this happens, OrbiterSound could crash since it can't find a sound file to play for that radio frequency. I haven't run into this myself so I'm not sure how to fix it beyond selecting a different frequency.Peter http://bfu.avsim.net/sigpics/PeterR.gifBFU Forums ModeratorRenegade/Seawolf Design Group (RSDG)

Guest buck1107

>I think the Voodoo3 might be limited to 256x256 textures. If>you're using any hires textures, try removing them.>>Regarding scenarios, make sure that you have the ships to>which they refer. If not, you'll need to download them.>>Another source of potential problems is a scenario that starts>with an invalid radio frequency selected. When this happens,>OrbiterSound could crash since it can't find a sound file to>play for that radio frequency. I haven't run into this myself>so I'm not sure how to fix it beyond selecting a different>frequency.>>Peter http://bfu.avsim.net/sigpics/PeterR.gif>BFU Forums Moderator>Renegade/Seawolf Design Group (RSDG)>Thanks Peter,The hi-res textures work ok, although on some the seams are a little "shifty". Thanks for the tips on the OrbiterSound settings - I'll have a look at that. For some reason the one scenario that's always given me problems has been the "2001 - A Space Odyssey" one. It just won't start.Thanks again,Buck