Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

Expendable launch vehicles ?

Hi guys. I am interested in Orbiter, but I haven't downloaded it yet. What I would like to know is if expendable launch vehicles are simulated in Orbiter. If so, how many different types are available ? I love the thought of watching realistic launches of multi-stage rockets, complete with accurate stage separations and so forth.Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Hi Chris,Doesn't cover precisely what you need to know but take a look at the video created by Azimuth and uploaded to Avsim today. Pretty cool and certainly provides a flavour of what Orbiter can provide in spades.To try to answer you more specifically I do know that the:APOLLO 16 COMPLETE MISSION PACK for NASSP v3.0 and ORBITER BUILD 021202by Rodion M. Herrera (rodion@my.msuiit.edu.ph)...worked well in Orbiter build 030303, but I haven't tried it yet in the latest version. Many of the Apollo series were covered in other downloads and stage separations were portrayed very convincingly as were the launches of each vehicle.Hope this helps a little.Mike

Thanks for the information, Mike. I have since had a look around this site, and also the main Orbiter webpage (with associated links), and the Orbiter Forums. I have now downloaded a fair amount of stuff, and I haven't even installed Orbiter yet !I intend to install the basic package first, and then have a good, long read of the instruction manual. I get the feeling that this simulation will require some concentration :-)As far as recreating past missions is concerned, what I would really like to be able to do is create my own missions that utilise various launch vehicles. For example, I would love to be able to develop a spaceprobe mission that utilises several planetary flybys. I have always been fascinated with gravitational assist for planetary missions, so some kind of orbit calculator would be needed. Do you know if there are any utilities capable of handling such a complex task ? I have already downloaded an orbit calculator, but I have no idea how detailed this is. Apparently, there are also a couple of utilities that calculate fuel burn times for orbital correction manouevres, so these would be useful too.Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Hi Chris,I'm afraid you are asking the wrong guy. Much as I like Orbiter from the visual standpoint, I know my limits :)I suggest you head over to the Orbiter Web Form and post your questions there:http://orbit.m6.net/v2/boardtalk.aspGood luck!Mike