Sign in to follow this  
Guest rightnumberone

FSX on Gamespy

Guest JSPuonti

On the topic of disconnects, I've been doing some experimenting lately as FSX multiplayer for me has always been and remains to this day a bitter-sweet experience; it's really, really sweet when it works, but unfortunately those occations are few and far between. I started out from the same conclusion as you guys seem to have come to - it's all or in large part Gamespy's fault. I came to this conclusion for a number of reasons:1) Disconnections from hosts due to "Host closing the session" - which is more often than not utter BS, since the host is very much alive when I check the server list again and never went anywhere according to other users (if I manage to reconnect afterwards)2) The server list being hyperactive and fidgety to put it mildly. There seems to be no end to the updates it does - it just keeps on going and going and I wouldn't be surprised if it kept updating the list even while you're already connecting to a host, causing unnecessary traffic3) Getting disconnected (often) from the master server with the message "You've been disconnected, possibly because you connected from another computer" (or something to that effect). Which, of course, is nothing but hogwash4) Once I managed to connect to a host, it was USUALLY smooth sailing. Sure, I still occasionally ran into trouble, but it was rare. The real hurdle was to actually get this far without the lobby tripping all over youSo, with this in mind, I got to testing a theory - the lobby is supposed to be a central list of all hosts currently available, but once you get past that all communication SHOULD in theory be between your computer and the host's (this doesn't seem to be how it works in FSX - hence all the trouble). The plan was to cut Gamespy out of the loop as soon as it wasn't required, and I already had the tool to get this done - a program called PeerGuardian 2, a security software that keeps tabs on all net traffic in and out of your computer and blocks that which originates from or is sent to... well, "undesireable" companies or computers. I'm sure I don't have to tell you about the security and privacy risks on the internet. As luck would have it, IGN Entertainment's servers are already included in the program's blacklist so no fiddling about was required from me.Turning the program on gave me instant results - I was unable to log on to the multiplayer lobby, as the gamespy server was "unreachable". That, of course, was a problem, so I temporarely disabled PG2 and logged in. After the server list had populated itself with a handful of hosts I located a suitable server, selected it and clicked on the button to connect to it. As soon as the connection popup appeared, I re-enabled PG2. Great success! The connection completed without an incident and I was able to set myself up for some multiplayer fun. PG2's log window showed several blocked attempts to connect to IGN's server, which was proof of FSX still trying to talk with the master server. A few moments later FSX even popped up an error message that connection to the master server had been lost, but that I could continue with my session if I wanted to. How nice of them!Of course, considering the way ACES and Gamespy have set up the whole multiplayer deal, there ARE some definite downsides to this approach. Since Gamespy's server is what maintains knowledge of every player's presence, when you use PG2 (or some other similar program) your friends list won't work. Assuming each client takes care of informing the master server of their status I suspect that you won't show up on your friends' lists either. Another (somewhat surprising) issue is that you won't have access to text chat; you can see the userlist and enter a message, but it never appears in the chat box nor do messages from other users. I was fully expecting to be unable to monitor the lobby while connected to a host's briefing room, but apparently ACES decided to run ALL text chat through Gamespy's servers. Instead of your client sending your in-game chat message to the host for redistribution to other players, the message APPEARS to go to Gamespy's lobby server which then transmits it to those who are in the same session with you. A de-centralized approach would have been better in my opinion, as then hosts would not have to rely on Gamespy for ANYTHING. But I'm sure someone had a REALLY good reason to do it this way. Pretty sure.You will also experience strange behavior when exiting a session. The few times I've tried this, pressing ESC and choosing "End flight" while in-game sends you to the multiplayer log-in screen (obviously, since you're no longer logged in to the master server), but you're STILL connected to the host! You can hear people talking in the background if they're using voice comms. When you log back in, you're sent to the host's briefing room, from where you can select "Leave session" to get back to the host list.Despite these abnormalities I'm personally very excited with the prospect that I am actually ABLE to use the multiplayer feature, instead of banging my head to the wall whenever Gamespy's servers decide that I logged out, logged in or the host dropped (when nothing of the sort happened). I'm still experimenting though and can't promise the same results for everyone and absolutely can not take responsibility for any mishaps; there might be other issues I haven't ran into yet. After all, I've seen some people claim they have NO problems with the lobby, as amazing as that sounds, so "your mileage might vary" in regards to this workaround, too. Should someone here decide to try this method I would be happy to hear about your results in this thread! If SP1 doesn't fix the multiplayer component (fingers crossed!), atleast there's SOMETHING I can do about it myself.EDIT:Oh, and while I'm at it, there IS of course the theoretical possibility that you might be able to get the multiplayer to work through VPN software such as Hamachi. That would of course mean more work for everyone involved, as you would not have access to a central list of hosts but would rather have to organize games on discussion boards or a special "FSX Hamachi Community" website. I haven't tried this yet myself; I'd definitely be interested in hearing if someone has succesfully participated in a "Local Network" game ran through Hamachi.

Guest GOZR

GameSpy is a total shame and we should just boycott it, then they may think of changing something.

Guest Redvan

>OK,>>Having spent most of the night playing (first time)>multiplayer on GameSpy, here's what I mean:>>1) FSX is unable to stay connected for any length of time to>GameSpy. Why? I have no idea really, but it appears that>GameSpy sucks and is spewing its suckitude all over FSX. Why>Microsoft, a company with literally billions of dollars spent>on R&D, can't afford a few FSX servers to host its own>sessions, and would rather partner with a company that does>nothing but make them look bad, is beyond my comprehension.Yes, I do get random disconnects, usually only after leaving a game though... not in a game. It has happened before, but not very often. I'd say this is a problem that should be looked into though as it does happen.>Does GameSpy run XBox360's shared gamespace (I really don't>know)? But I wonder why a 25-year franchise requires a 3rd>party gamespace provider that can't keep folks connected and>is constantly nagging me for my email address so that I can be>spammed.No idea.>2) Now ... to the UI suckitude: Enter a multiplayer lobby and>just sit there for a few minutes. Now, attempt, I dare you, to>click on the servers in the list to ponder which you'd like to>enter. It's nigh impossible, as the list is refreshed every 2>seconds. Try it yourself. You will come to know where the term>"suckitude" originated. I invented this word after fruitlessly>attempting to click on a particular server for about 5>minutes; but couldn't because the list keeps jumping around.I posted about this weeks ago... it refreshes way too fast... guess it's their way of keeping pilots on their toes, when you're flying, you have to be able to react quickly... ;) But seriously, it does suck. I've noticed that either after hours of online flight time, or me adapting to it, it doesn't bug me AS much... Not sure if using it causes it to slow down over time or I just got used to it... lol>3) More UI issues: It seems to me that if I'm going to join a>hosted session that has a tower, that the tower should be>REQUIRED to specify in the lobby what its freakin frequency>is. But the host of the session isn't required to specify what>the tower frequency is (or ground, or ATIS, etc.) The very>first thing EVERY SINGLE player does is a comm check, and>because they usually have no idea what frequency the tower is>on thanks to the UI not allowing the tower to specify this in>the session setup, the comm checks get broadcast to all>frequencies by use of the Shift-CapsLock maneuver. This>clutters all frequencies and creates a DDOS situation. The>"create host" options should include the option of specifying>freqs as part of the session settings; and this info should be>in the lobby. (Some hosts have compensated by including freq's>in the comments ... spotty at best.)There should be a text box specifically for frequencies used I think... that way when someone hosts a game, they just fill in the blank as to what freq ATC is on. That'd be handy.>4) Searching for appropriate sessions: Can't be done because>of the jumpiness of the list, but even if the list would sit>still for longer than 1500 miliseconds ... it's still barely>functional. The player should be able to filter the list of>hosts to EXCLUDE a) locked sessions for which a password is>required :( "pro" sessions where pilots are expected to adhere>to FAA-like ATC rules c) sessions at foreign airports where>the tower does not even speak English d) sessions that do/do>not support voice, e) host sessions that are too latent to be>even considered playable f) by VFR/IFR conditions g) by>day/night settingI agree... a much better search function could and should be had... Right now it's essentially just a luck of the draw choice... "that thar looks good!" then you hope you can click on it before its at the bottom of the page...>5) Cancel Buttons. Hit cancel a few times in the multiplayer>UI, and you'll see what I mean. Some programming loop occurs>that is so time consuming that the game appears frozen (it>probably isn't, but it appears that way.)Never experienced that... but then I've never tried hitting cancel more than once...>So ... that's just from my first few frustrating howers of>experience. This is not an exhaustive list of suckitude; but>indicitive of the frustration to come, I suppose.>Having said that ... once I did find a session that was fast>enough, had a tower, had an English-speaking tower, had a>competent tower, was in VFR conditions, in daylight and I>actually got permission to operate my craft in that pattern>... it was FUN AS ####.Usually by that time I have to get off because I have studying to do... ;) But I would recommend you to detroitvirtual.com. We encourage professionalism and fun. It is a locked server, you have to check out the web site to sign up, and get admitted to know the password. We are currently working on getting the server more populated so it'll be more fun and so that we'll hopefully someone on ATC most of the time...Swearing and bad attitudes are not viewed as professional behavior on the server, in the TS server, or on the forums... I'm sure you wont have a problem adhering to those rules though :)

Guest Luggage

1) true.2) well I little niftyness on your part helps here, if it's too jumpy use the up and down arrow keys to highlight the desired server and click the join button bottom right of the screen.3) This is not an issue with fsx, multiplay, the atc's etc.. but a pilot issue imho.Real world, frequencies are set for airports and don't change around too much, therefore you can find then on real world charts. FSX is easier still, airports never change. Thus every airport has it's agreed upon frequencies which you can find on your charts or the fsx built in gps, it lists all the frequencies you'd ever need and in the real world, it's actually expected of you to know the frequencies beforehand along your planned flight path.Decreases workload in real life as well.Why no one bothers to check their gps for the frequency they need is beyond me, the asking for frequency is very annoying but I don't blame this on the atc's who can't even change the tower frequencies. they are set and listed in your gps and/or on your printed charts. On our server we also agree on a universal unicom frequency which is listed in the server description. I don't like it personally preferring to tune to the airspace I'm in and if no tower follow appropriate procedures but this would need everyone to do this too. It seems to real even for the so called "pro atc" servers so far. A global freq is practical for the game though, it's just not my preference.(the problem here is no one ever reads serve descriptions it seems so they still ask, the mic checks if done properly I can appreciate though, I reply according to icao stating readability 1 through 5 and any specifics.4) Again keyboard work around might help you on that.The lobby being full bugs me far more with it's vague you might be connected from somewhere else error. It should say sorry lobby is full since that is the cause. So for me it's not the jumping and scrolling but the being dropped from gamespy every time you return to an of course full free flight lobby.5) Not sure, load pause?Hope it helps, find a good server, dedicated, a server which removes nuisances etc. and stick with it. The one I joined has a forum and a direct connect ip/server status to check when you have joined enabling you to partly circumvent gamespy.For the rest I feel your pain, I hope the tips eases it a little.Alternatives are fshost which I don't really like, unicom with third party voice etc.. or vatsim e.g. I haven't tried vatsim yet, not comfy on the mic yet lol.Cheers!