Sign in to follow this  
Guest Peter Wilding

Poor frame rates/stutters and broken ATC

Guest Peter Wilding

I've been experimenting with multiplayer and found some issues.It's fine using it for flying with a friend in the shared cockpit so long as the is nobody else in the game/ session as mentioned in my other post. That issue stated;When using a session with more than about 3 or 4 people the ATC and voice communications get very broken. There seems little or no guidence of how to set a good clean session up.For example what options do we set to get better voice packets and how do we connect to get better packets?So far, pretty much eveyone using multiplayer is using the main lobby for free flight. It is chaos trying to find and join a session as people are entering and leaving so ofter.I would suggest to aces that a better method of showing what's happening and who is online is needed.I get the impression that the multiplayer is very much like an untested beta plug in. It certainly does not feel like a finished and tested module of the game.Peter

Hi Peter,First off, I'm a big fan of GEPro. Amazing work you do!As for your multiplayer issues, I asked one of the more techy guys on the team to look into it.I agree that the Free Flight lobby is a zoo. It's interesting to me that nobody is using any of the other lobbies. I wonder if people even notice they exist?Stay tuned and I'll try to get you some answers to improve your multiplayer experience.Mike

Hi Peter,I fly multiplayer sessions with two buddies at least three times a week. I'm not an expert at it by any means but just wanted to share a few things we've noticed.Becasue of the chaos you mentioned, we never use the main lobby. If there are only two of us flying we will opt for the shared cockpit and instead of the FSX voice we use Google Talk.If all three of us are in the session, we fly in separate aircraft and use the FSX voice. It's a little tinny compared to Google Talk and occasionaly a transmission will be slightly garbled but with only three in the session the FSX voice isn't too bad. We've noticed a few things while in the shared cockpit.If the co-pilot tries to select an approach procedure on the gps, a lock-up will occur. It took us a few sessions/lock-ups to pin it down. Now only the pilot in command selects the approach and the lock-ups have stopped.Another thing we've noticed, again in the shared cockpit, is a difference in the speed control settings. If I set the speed for 250kts my friends speed setting will show 230kts. If he sets the speed for 250kts my setting will show 270kts. Doesn't happen everytime but it does happen.One other thing we've noticed is the aircraft sinking into the ground upon landing. The pilot in command will make a picture perfect landing. If the co-pilot watches the landing from the spot view he will see the aircraft sink into the ground. Sometimes it will sink almost out of sight. Other times only the wheels will sink in and other times there will be no sink at all. We're guessing a difference in connection speed is causing this. This sinking only happens while in the shared cockpit and only at touchdown.We've only scratched the surface with the ATC part of FSX multiplayer and don't have any comments on that.I've been simming since the early days with the Sub-Logic version on a Commodore 64. To sit here making comments about differences in speed settings or lock-ups caused by the co-pilot trying to select an approach procedure on the gps reminds me of how far we've come.Doc G

Guest Peter Wilding

Thanks Mike,I'll be happy to help you guys here in any way I can with a co-pilot intructor of mine Bill Hall.We think the potential for fun and realism here is awesome. Just a few niggle to fix and this could be awesome.Peter

Guest Peter Wilding

Perhaps we could join you in some sessions. Bill Hall any myself I mean. Perhaps we could help the ACES team to de-bug some of the remaining issues and log the issues in an organized manner.Also, it would be great fun to fly with some other guys.Contact me on p.wilding@btopenworld or PM me.The sinking in the gound could be due to not having the same mesh as your co-pilot. Just a thought.Looking forward to meeting up with you guys.Peter

Guest Peter Wilding

I forgot to say Mike,Thanks for the complement for GE PRO. If it wasn't for FS9 and FSX there would be nothing for me to do. It's a great platform to work on. I enjoy the work I do. Always a pleasure to be appriciated.Peter

Guest 6722c

Peter,At FS-MP.com, we often run with 30-50+ players in a session, and achieve good unbroken audio.Make sure you do NOT have your sliders too high. Typically, you need to reduce them futher than you would in Free Flying, so that your Graphics do not STALL, and overload your system, resulting in Audio Stutter.There are 100's of Internet articles about "FSX SLIDERS"... all I would say is, DO NOT PUSH your system.... accept it for what it is, and give it a change to run without being over extended.In MP, good, clear Audio, if far more important than High Autogen rates.It also helps if the HOST has a decent Upload rate, and a good connection, and a decent Video card !!!!Geoff