Sign in to follow this  
Guest byoung

How do I get started Multi Player?

Guest byoung

I am looking at joining in on the Multi-player features of FSX.What can you do specifically? Do they have ATC, ie actual people doing ATC in a multiplayer environment? How does that compare to VATSIM?I need ideas on what I need to do to get started. I am a total newbee at multiplayer.Thanks!Barry

Hey Barry, just dive on in, the water's fine hehe.There are as many kinds of servers online as there are personalities. They range from being hosted by tactless screaming eleven year olds, to full pro atc sessions and just about everything in between. In some sessions people just clown around, others you have a host running ATC, often in an IFR environment, and with some you're taking trips from place to place in a formation and discussing philosophy enroute (my personal favourites). :) FSX multiplayer is generally pretty easy going compared to vatsim, though the FS-MP server seems to be devoted to creating a total realism experience. They're too strict for my personal taste, but many speak highly of their operation.Just jump into the free flight lobby, find a server that doesn't look too busy, and that has a good ping time (green bar), and try it out. Some sessions aim for total realism, others are considerably more relaxed, whatever suits your fancy. It's free, you already paid for it, so you may as well try it out.Use caps lock to speak, make sure to read the session comments before joining to find out what frequencies are in use, and try to observe the universal rule of not using runways as your starting point as it messes up people on short final.Anyway, its tremendously fun. I haven't flown on my own once in 5 months. Singleplayer FSX just doesn't cut it anymore for me. :)

Mike Johnson - Lotus Simulations