Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Problem setting up a LAN session

Hi,Have done lots of hours online on IVAO but never tried the built-in multiplayer in FSX and thought I would try to setup a LAN session to be able to fly together with my son.When I choose to host a session on my computer he doesn't see my session and when he hosts a session I do see it on my computer but when trying to connect to the session it just says "Connecting..." and then nothing happens.We are on a wireless network using a D-Link router but can't see why it would be a port or similar problem since we're on the same network and on the inside of the router.Can someone tell me what the trick is to setup a LAN session in FSX? We're both using Vista Ultimate, I'm using the 64-bit version and my son the 32-bit version if that is of relevance.Thanks in advance for any input

Richard Åsberg

Guest PPSFA

I hope you get an answer, I have never been able to get it to work and I would love to bypass GamespyXP Pro SP2-FSX SP2AMD FX60-8800GTS-2 Gigs RAMFEX-GEX-UTUSA-FSGenesis-and a bunch of other stuffComputer optimized by www.fs-gs.com

So do I but doesn't look that promising considering the number of replies I've got so far...will have a look over att Microsofts site and see if I can find anything there...feels strange why they would implement a functionality in FSX that doesn't work...?!

Richard Åsberg

I have had this same problem! I would love to get an answer because I use to be able to get it all to work. In fact, you have to do LAN connection if you want to do a shared cockpit on Vatsim... a good time, but if the co-pilot cant see the LAN then it's all for not.Any rate, I have opened every port needed..234562300-24006073nothing.. I run porttest and all is correct but the other person can never see my setup... I will keep trying.Benjamin

Benjamin Van Eps

Hi Benjamin,Yes, would be great if one could have this work but still no go and guess I've kind of given up by now but please post here if you eventually find a solution.All the best,

Richard Åsberg

I use it all the time, normally in tandom with a gamespy session but that dosn't stop you having lan to lan sessions. I suspect you are having trouble with firewall software on either pc. Suggest the following action.Work out the ip addresses of each pc and prove you can ping each one. Run ipconfig from dos.If this works try and connect to the host pc using the ip address.If this dosn't work then disable any firewall software on both machines and try again. Note, disconect your lan from the internet while you do this.It's more than likely this will work so now search the internet on what ports you need to unblock for fsx and how to do this on your firewall. It's not as easy as it should be but lets face it you'd be playing on a PS3 if you wanted easy!

Indeed...indeed! We found this out last night. Gamespy + FSInn = no problems. We managed to eliminate the double aircraft by the co-pilot logging on as an observer. He used the same callsign +1 additional character.For the sound we used a private PTT channel.So, both co-pilot and pilot ATC and private communication. It worked great.Regarding the LAN... ugh. You have no idea. We have tried it all. We have enabled DMZ, added all the required ports, turned off all firewalls - software and hardware, flashed router firmware, tried connecting directly to the modem w/o router.... we have tried and tried again.We can ping each other but we are done with it now that we found that FSInn + Gamespy worked just fine. I really don't know what else to try on the LAN. I suspect this is something completely unrelated to FSX. I really think it's XP + SP3 that's causing some conflict. I have this issue with more than one person - of which we can all ping each other.Go figure.Benjamin

Benjamin Van Eps

I doubt it's XP +SP3 since I have the very same problem and have tried alomst all what you guys did and I'm running Vista Ultimate with SP1.For my life I can't really see why this should be so hard...to simply connect two PCs on the same network and I have no problem connecting these two PCs in any other situation except for FSX multiplayer - both file & print sharing for example works great.

Richard Åsberg

That's a true point. Perhaps it's something related to FSX SP2. I use to be able to get this to work. The biggest issue that I faced at that time was the port forwarding - now that I have that understood and set - what else could there be.Do you have FSX SP2? Do SimConnect versions have an impact on what goes on with the LAN connection? Benjamin.

Benjamin Van Eps

Yes, I do have FSX SP2. As for SimConnect versions I haven't a clue.What I also find strange is the low feedback we have in this thread, seems strange to me we would be the only ones with this problem and find it equally strange if lots of people have the same problem we have but don't discuss it...did some searching when we talked about this last time but didn't come up with much at all...very strange!Will do some further testing/troubleshooting next weekend even though I don't know where to start nor what to try that I haven't already...will of course report back should I find a solution!

Richard Åsberg

I completely agree on the lack of response. My hunch is that people are either playing on Gamespy without shared cockpit - which is a fine platform and serves the purpose of hosting a private game on the any network or people are flying on Vatsim in which case you don't need the LAN game.I guess the question is what does the LAN serve that the other options don't? Regardless, you would think it wouldn't be this difficult. I have dedicated a good 4-5 hours the past 3 nights trying to get this to work with two other simmers. We have had no luck trying the myriad of options and configurations.I have posted in these locations:http://www.flightsimworld.com/forums/index...howtopic=152678http://forums.vatsim.net/viewtopic.php?t=3...4a0f114cb67ddadhttp://www.techspot.com/vb/topic111000.htmlhttp://forums.linksys.com/linksys/board/me...d=70795#M108555http://www.flightsimworld.com/forums/index...howtopic=152820Not for a lack of trying here for sure... hmm.

Benjamin Van Eps

Up until now I have always when it comes to online flying spent that time on IVAO. Reason I wanted to try this out is it to me seemed like a simple way to connect to another PC on the same network with FSX for some multiplayer fun but how wrong I was ;)Well, let's hope either one of us eventually find out how to have this working!

Richard Åsberg

I'm 99% positive I tried connect using the IP address but will do some more testing this weekend and will also try connecting with a cross over cable like you suggest, that's a good idea!

Richard Åsberg

I'm running FSX on Vista Home Premium and I had this problem when I first set up my LAN, but it wasn't long before I got a firewall exception in place for FSX. I'm using only the firewall which came with Windows. I opened up the Network and Sharing Centre, clicked on the Windows Firewall link at the bottom of the page and then clicked on the Allow a program through Windows Firewall link. From there it was a simple matter of adding FSX to the list of firewall exceptions on both machines.Now I enjoy setting an aircraft on AP on one computer, and hunting it down in an intercept bird on the other. Terrific!Mike.

Mike Beckwith