Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Problem setting up a LAN session

Guest N6722c
I use it all the time, normally in tandom with a gamespy session but that dosn't stop you having lan to lan sessions. I suspect you are having trouble with firewall software on either pc. Suggest the following action. Work out the ip addresses of each pc and prove you can ping each one. Run ipconfig from dos.
If you are planning to connect to a frend, who is NOT on your own local HOUSEl network, I would suggest NOT using IPconfig, as this only showns your local PC's IP, ( Typically a 192.168.1.x address) which will NOT be the same as your Public Internet IP.To get your INTERNET IP ( the one that the other player should PING), use something like http://www.whatismyip.comGeoff

Hey guys~ I am still having this problem. My co-pilots and I have just about given up on Gamespy platform to get connects and then join Vatsim network. we are still looking for better options to join each others aircraft through the FSX multi interface.... so the options are limited. We have been flying multiplayer with Shared Cockpit .... while on the Vatsim network. It's been successful but the Gamespy option gives us small glitches along the way. In general we are looking for better more stable solutions for the shared cockpit functions. I really think our options are either Gamespy network or LAN game. Are there are other servers out there we can use as out springboard to Vatsim? The LAN network is proving to be difficult (no amount of open ports, port forwarding, DMZ enabling etc) allows the connecting persons to see the game session (FSX + SP2 + XP(SP3). We are using the correct IPs for sure but there is something still blocking us at some point. All firewalls are off... and ports are open. Who knows? Look for suggestions, options, ideas...ThanksBenjamin

Benjamin Van Eps

I'm 99% positive I tried connect using the IP address but will do some more testing this weekend and will also try connecting with a cross over cable like you suggest, that's a good idea!
Have you had any luck setting up a LAN session since your last post? I'm having all the same problems you and the others in this thread describe. I tried the cross over cable and nothing changed. In my situation, computer #1 sees computer #2 if #2 is the Host, but there is no recognition in the reverse case--computer #2 can't see #1 if #1 is the Host. Despite that apparent connection, the two computers will not join in a multi-player session. My #1 computer uses Vista and #2 is older and uses XP; #1 has the Acceleration Pack but #2 has only FSX Deluxe. I'd appreciate whatever new information you could pass along. Thanks.

My #1 computer uses Vista and #2 is older and uses XP; #1 has the Acceleration Pack but #2 has only FSX Deluxe. I'd appreciate whatever new information you could pass along. Thanks.
You need service pack 2 on fsx deluxe to connect to fsx acceleration. Have you done this?

Davethewave is correct - that's the first issue. Both persons need to have SP2 (for FSX installed). The player with Acceleration installed already has SP2 (it comes with Acceleration). So make sure the deluxe version gets SP2 installed.That's the first thing to take care of. If from then on you are having problems with others connecting, my solution was to install a registry fix that reset the built in microsoft firewall. On of the hotfixes that I installed over the various updates apparently made the firewall active in spite of shutting it down. Once I reset the registry, open the specific ports on the router, it was no problem - all gamers around the globe could see my direct LAN hosted game. A little bit more difficult than gamespy but way more stable.Good luck and let me know if you have any problems.Benjamin

Benjamin Van Eps

You need service pack 2 on fsx deluxe to connect to fsx acceleration. Have you done this?
Thanks to you and Benjamin for the help. I tried earlier to install the Acceleration pack with SP2 in my computer #2, but the installation was blocked for some reason; I have no idea why. At the moment, I'm downloading SP2 from fsinsider and will install it as soon as the dl is complete. I'll let you know what happens. Again, thanks.

Davethewave is correct - that's the first issue. Both persons need to have SP2 (for FSX installed). The player with Acceleration installed already has SP2 (it comes with Acceleration). So make sure the deluxe version gets SP2 installed.That's the first thing to take care of. If from then on you are having problems with others connecting, my solution was to install a registry fix that reset the built in microsoft firewall. On of the hotfixes that I installed over the various updates apparently made the firewall active in spite of shutting it down. Once I reset the registry, open the specific ports on the router, it was no problem - all gamers around the globe could see my direct LAN hosted game. A little bit more difficult than gamespy but way more stable.Good luck and let me know if you have any problems.Benjamin
I downloaded SP2 and tried to install it, but I get a screen saying I must have an English version of FSX in order to install the SP2 file. I have an English version, of course, so I'm mystified. I'll post again on the LAN problem after I solve this one.

Guest PPSFA
I downloaded SP2 and tried to install it, but I get a screen saying I must have an English version of FSX in order to install the SP2 file. I have an English version, of course, so I'm mystified. I'll post again on the LAN problem after I solve this one.
You have to have SP 1 installed first.

PPSFA is correct. Let us know how it turns out!Benjamin
I've successfully installed SP1 and SP2, as you suggested, but results are the same. My computer #1 recognizes a session hosted by #2, but cannot connect. On the #1 monitor, I see information about the session hosted by #2--name of the session, host aircraft type, etc.--but when I select the session and press the JOIN button, the page does not advance to the next step. The button itself becomes blue briefly when I press it but nothing else happens. I've tried connecting #1 to #2 directly by entering the IP address for #2, but all I get then is a box saying, "Trying to Connect," which remains on the screen for 15-20 seconds, then disappears without any action. Whatever is blocking the connection remains a mystery.

Hmm, you are out of my league when you begin to directly connect two computer with a cable. I only know how to do it via LAN.Things to check1) Make sure that firewalls are off (or make sure exceptions are working between computers)2) Set your computers as static local IP addressOutside of that, I don't really have much to offer. If you have an instant messenger send me a message at vanepo2001@yahoo.com and we can see if you can connect to me via private LAN game (which works across the internet - not just across the room). That way we can start to eliminate potential issues.Benjamin

Benjamin Van Eps

I've successfully installed SP1 and SP2, as you suggested, but results are the same. My computer #1 recognizes a session hosted by #2, but cannot connect. On the #1 monitor, I see information about the session hosted by #2--name of the session, host aircraft type, etc.--but when I select the session and press the JOIN button, the page does not advance to the next step. The button itself becomes blue briefly when I press it but nothing else happens. I've tried connecting #1 to #2 directly by entering the IP address for #2, but all I get then is a box saying, "Trying to Connect," which remains on the screen for 15-20 seconds, then disappears without any action. Whatever is blocking the connection remains a mystery.
I also get that "trying to connect" box, after that i get another one that says the connection was sucessful but then another one opens up saying it is searching for the host's airplane list and then the connection is lost.What i do to fly with my wife is opening up a session with FSHost, i have no problem with that at all besides the fact that we have to fly in windowed mode.

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

Hmm, you are out of my league when you begin to directly connect two computer with a cable. I only know how to do it via LAN.Things to check1) Make sure that firewalls are off (or make sure exceptions are working between computers)2) Set your computers as static local IP addressOutside of that, I don't really have much to offer. If you have an instant messenger send me a message at vanepo2001@yahoo.com and we can see if you can connect to me via private LAN game (which works across the internet - not just across the room). That way we can start to eliminate potential issues.Benjamin
I turned off the firewalls -- two of them, in fact -- but nothing changed. Exactly the same pattern. I'm not familiar with "static local IP address." Is that different from the IP address I get when I do the "ipconfig" procedure? I use those addresses when I try the direct connect. I connected to GameSpy and hosted an internet session on my computer #1; my #2 computer recognized it and seemed ready to connect but couldn't because, according to the screen that popped up, the two computers have different versions of FSX. Computer #2 has SP1 and SP2 but not the Acceleration pack. That's the only difference I know of. I would like to connect via a private LAN game and try to work out these problems. Right now I'm off to deal with a "Honey, do...." I'll post later and work out the connection details. Thanks, Benjamin, for hanging with me. I appreciate your help.Lincoln

I turned off the firewalls -- two of them, in fact -- but nothing changed. Exactly the same pattern. I'm not familiar with "static local IP address." Is that different from the IP address I get when I do the "ipconfig" procedure? I use those addresses when I try the direct connect. I connected to GameSpy and hosted an internet session on my computer #1; my #2 computer recognized it and seemed ready to connect but couldn't because, according to the screen that popped up, the two computers have different versions of FSX. Computer #2 has SP1 and SP2 but not the Acceleration pack. That's the only difference I know of. I would like to connect via a private LAN game and try to work out these problems.
Ignore the static IP suggestion, this just means you assign an IP address manually to your pc. Can be useful to do if you want to ensure the IP address of each machine never changes but not needed for a Lan session. If you don't know gateway and subnet's do you'll be guessing what to do!Someone said does it depend on the version of simconnet. answer: Not used for Lan multiplayer.So , I'm assuming you are running 2 PCs connected to one broadband router? Run ipconfig from a dos box and make a note of the ipaddress of each machine. Still from Dos try pinging each machine from the other. Do you get a reponse from both?If you do and you are running fsx sp2 and acceleration on the other and they don't connect then its very very very likely to be a firewall on either machine. If you can't ping each machine then post the results of ipconfig here. You can quickly stick results into a text file like thisipconfig > text.txtThen I guess you upload as an attachment to this forum.Do for both machines.

I turned off the firewalls -- two of them, in fact -- but nothing changed. Exactly the same pattern. I'm not familiar with "static local IP address." Is that different from the IP address I get when I do the "ipconfig" procedure? I use those addresses when I try the direct connect. I connected to GameSpy and hosted an internet session on my computer #1; my #2 computer recognized it and seemed ready to connect but couldn't because, according to the screen that popped up, the two computers have different versions of FSX. Computer #2 has SP1 and SP2 but not the Acceleration pack. That's the only difference I know of. I would like to connect via a private LAN game and try to work out these problems. Right now I'm off to deal with a "Honey, do...." I'll post later and work out the connection details. Thanks, Benjamin, for hanging with me. I appreciate your help.Lincoln
Positive results. As often happens, this problem cured itself as I was working on another unrelated FSX problem. I encountered a nasty situation that required uninstalling FSX and the Acceleration pack in my main computer (#1). When I reinstalled, I added only SP#1 to FSX, and I uninstalled SP#2 from computer #2; thus, both computers have the same service pack installations. After ensuring that firewalls were turned off in both computers, I found that I had no difficulty connecting the two, through GameSpy and on the LAN. I'm now able to set up on my two computers the multiplayer sessions I had in mind at the outset. Another difficulty soon emerged, however. When I reinstall the Acceleration pack in computer #1, I'm very likely back at square one. Computer #2 barely handles FSX and chokes on the Acceleration pack; computer #1 handles both well, and I like the extras the expansion pack provides. I think I'll worry about that another day and be happy for now that the baffling multiplayer mystery has been solved.Lincoln