Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Problem setting up a LAN session

Positive results. As often happens, this problem cured itself as I was working on another unrelated FSX problem. I encountered a nasty situation that required uninstalling FSX and the Acceleration pack in my main computer (#1). When I reinstalled, I added only SP#1 to FSX, and I uninstalled SP#2 from computer #2; thus, both computers have the same service pack installations. After ensuring that firewalls were turned off in both computers, I found that I had no difficulty connecting the two, through GameSpy and on the LAN. I'm now able to set up on my two computers the multiplayer sessions I had in mind at the outset. Another difficulty soon emerged, however. When I reinstall the Acceleration pack in computer #1, I'm very likely back at square one. Computer #2 barely handles FSX and chokes on the Acceleration pack; computer #1 handles both well, and I like the extras the expansion pack provides. I think I'll worry about that another day and be happy for now that the baffling multiplayer mystery has been solved.Lincoln
And with FSX listed among the Windows Security exceptions on both computers, I don't even have to worry about turning of the firewalls.Lincoln

Guest PPSFA

You only need to install SP2 for FSX, not the whole Acceleration pack, on the second machine

You only need to install SP2 for FSX, not the whole Acceleration pack, on the second machine
It's not working that way for me. I reinstalled the Acceleration pack in computer #1 and added SP2 to computer #2, and I'm back to square one. No connection. Multiplayer was working beautifully, through GameSpy and on the LAN, before the reinstallation. Stymied again.Lincoln

I can't ignore the static IP - nor can many people who have multiple machines in their house and are going to connect over LAN (not direct connect). If you are going outside your router as in hooking up with someone else outside of your house via LAN (as I do) the router needs to know what ports to forward to what machine. In this case, however, you are probably however. Provided you always check your local IP before you go to to connect, you should be fine. It will change xxx.xx.xxx.101 versus xxx.xx.xxx.102 on up the chain depending on how things are power up and shut down.Any way - lwestdal is correct on the FSX SP@ vs. Acceleration. They should see each other between those versions. Benjamin

Benjamin Van Eps

I can't ignore the static IP - nor can many people who have multiple machines in their house and are going to connect over LAN (not direct connect). If you are going outside your router as in hooking up with someone else outside of your house via LAN (as I do) the router needs to know what ports to forward to what machine. In this case, however, you are probably however. Provided you always check your local IP before you go to to connect, you should be fine. It will change xxx.xx.xxx.101 versus xxx.xx.xxx.102 on up the chain depending on how things are power up and shut down.Any way - lwestdal is correct on the FSX SP@ vs. Acceleration. They should see each other between those versions. Benjamin
I'm afraid I don't understand, Benjamin. Could you clarify. I'm still in the dark about static IP. I'm lost after: "Provided you always...." There has to be a way around this situation of mine, and it does seem to have to with ports. Thanks.Lincoln
I'm afraid I don't understand, Benjamin. Could you clarify? I'm still in the dark about static IP. I'm lost after: "Provided you always...." There has to be a way around this situation of mine, and it does seem to have to with ports. Thanks.Lincoln

Guest kublakan

Hi This is my first post on this forum, I too have been trying to connect two computers together on the lan so I can fly with my son, Gladly I can report I have done it! and this is how.I am using XP progo to firewallclick on configuration/ advanced settingsselect:- Ports and protocols then make sure these are selectedselect:- file and printer sharing for local network/ subnet file and printer sharing for subnet and internet IP security protocol Pragmantic general multicast protocol (PGM) Remote desktop from local network Streaming video/ audio (IGMP)I am not sure which of these or which configuration of these solved the problem but it seemed to work and is still workingI have made no alteration to my router or any other componentOn the host open Flight sim fsx and go to multiplayerSelect local networkType in a name ( any name)Click sign inClick host a session I just give it the name 'daddy' In session availability select 'on your local network'Select your aicraft airport etc as normalclick nextClick your preferences and nextClick fly now.On the guest computer open FSXGo multiplayer select local network and type in a nameSelect sign in Select/ click on the game as you would on an internet connection The game you just registered on the host should be the only one there? do not select the connect directly button click next insteadSet up aircraft as normal and click okclick join and ..... 'chocks away'It has made my little boy very happy and I'm chuffed as I know sweet FA about computers.Best of luck, but no guarantees with other software though. and if you bend it you mend it!

Hi,Have done lots of hours online on IVAO but never tried the built-in multiplayer in FSX and thought I would try to setup a LAN session to be able to fly together with my son.When I choose to host a session on my computer he doesn't see my session and when he hosts a session I do see it on my computer but when trying to connect to the session it just says "Connecting..." and then nothing happens.We are on a wireless network using a D-Link router but can't see why it would be a port or similar problem since we're on the same network and on the inside of the router.Can someone tell me what the trick is to setup a LAN session in FSX? We're both using Vista Ultimate, I'm using the 64-bit version and my son the 32-bit version if that is of relevance.Thanks in advance for any input
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t685...hybridquot.htmlLook here - it worked on my computers (two on a netgear wireless).