Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dreamboy

Multiplayer voice bitrate

Guest Dreamboy

The other day I was trying shared cockpit with a friend to give him some lessons. The idea of a shared cockpit is really great and very funny to try.But the experience was very frustrating and the voice communication was a total disaster.I've seen that the bitrate options are very strange. They go from a very poor 3,6kbps to a ultra high 128kbps quality.Of course at 3,6k the sound is very pool and at 128k I need a very realiable upstream connection to use it.How is possible that there's not a normal bitrate as 24kbps or 36kbps?Is there some way to force another bitrate not available from the setup menus?This problem and the disconnections are frustrating my online experience with FSX.Regards!

Guest scottmm73

>The other day I was trying shared cockpit with a friend to>give him some lessons. The idea of a shared cockpit is really>great and very funny to try.>>But the experience was very frustrating and the voice>communication was a total disaster.>>I've seen that the bitrate options are very strange. They go>from a very poor 3,6kbps to a ultra high 128kbps quality.>>Of course at 3,6k the sound is very pool and at 128k I need a>very realiable upstream connection to use it.>>How is possible that there's not a normal bitrate as 24kbps or>36kbps?>>Is there some way to force another bitrate not available from>the setup menus?>>This problem and the disconnections are frustrating my online>experience with FSX.>>Regards!Yes, I do agree that the voip communications do suck. Even over a LAN my friends and I could not get it to work satisfactorily. I'm sorry I can not be of any help with what you are asking however, I can give you an alternative voip communication program called teamspeak. This program is freeware and a very functional alternative. You can go here to download the Teamspeak server and client:http://www.goteamspeak.com/index.php?page=downloadsJust so you know, someone will have to run the TS server on his/her computer, preferably not the computer running FSX. Than both clients can connect via IP address to the TS server. Hope this program makes your muliplay experience more fun.Scott

Guest Dreamboy

Thanks a lot for your reply Scott. It's a shame that voice comunication on FSX are not working as expected. The idea of a shared cockpit is really great and I was trying to give some fliying lessons to a friend but the bad voice quality ruined the experience.I will try TeamSpeak as you suggested.Angel

Guest N6722c

The Voice Communications in FSX are perfecty OK, provided you have you audio set up correctly at both ends.The 3.6K Compressed rate is fine for voice communications.The FSX voice communications were significantly improved with SP1, so make sure everyone in your sessions have updated to SP1.Note: ALL FSX voice communications go through the HOST's machine. If the HOST has a slow computer, or has his scenery sliders set too high, then EVERYONE will experience poor and choppy voice communications.WE have had up to 75 players in our Multiplayer sessions on FS-MP< and all players have experienced clear & reliable voice communications.It's all a matter of setting correct Mic Levels in your Sound Control Panel, and having a Host whose computer is up to the task.For futher information on FS-MP, and how to join, see our website at http://fs-mp.com "Real ATC for Virtual Pilots"

Guest Dreamboy

Nice suggestions and it's nice to see that people are organizing multiplayer comunities for FSX. It's really a mess to enter some of the GameSpy sessions. I will read the site you suggested.About voice communications... There's no problems with mic settings or connection speed. In fact we always had perfect IP voice communication with Live Messenger or TeamSpeak with the same mic and computers.What I really noticed is that FSX takes absolutely all the resources and this is what generates poor voice. As you suggest this is on the host side. Lowering the sliders definetly fixed a lot the problem.But for me this is still a problem of FSX as I consider it should give CPU preference to voice encoding and reduce simulation performance. This way people will notice the problem and lower the sliders without wondering why the voice communication is so horrendous.Thanks a lot for your reply!

Maybe I am too stupid, but where can I set the voice quality to 128kbps instead of 3,6kbps?

Sorry, thats not the answer I was looking for.

I know teamspeak very well and we use it all day.

But as long as there is no teamspeak plugin available for FSX I would like to use the fsx radios to communicate with my student.

So please, where can I set the voice quality to 128kbps instead of 3,6kbps?

Thanks