Sign in to follow this  

I feel betrayed. (A Rant)

Guest RonB49

I'm a little ticked off by what I read on the AVSIM front page<

Guest BC_KBOS

Relax!Why not suggest another file header, something like: "Tweaked Aircraft"?Then you can have the original work, repaints and then, tweaks.We are getting into serious file management here, but repaints (by the billions, it seems) should not be thrown in with tweaks or "enhancements".I agree, the aircraft directory was getting absurd. Throwing everything else into one directory stops short of a good solution.Winnow the stuff down to logical areas and I believe we can all be happy.The down side, the developers/tweakers are going to HAVE to be specific when they upload stuff. The staff at AvSim don't have time to figure all this stuff out on their own.So #####, moan, kvetch and wail, but the guys at AvSim are working on a happy medium. Positive solutions are in order. This was mine.BC

Guest Lindy

I too was a bit surprised to learn that the "Repaint" category contained more than just repaints. However, so many great new planes get released I figure if I overlook something because it was in the "Repaint" category, so be it. Another and possibly even better craft will be released in the future if I'm just patient. But then again, I'm not a collector of planes to fly -- so I guess I'm in the minority.I'm pretty sure the Avsim guys/gals are doing their best to keep things straightforward and simple for us ungrateful wretches known as flight simmers - :-lol - and basically I think they're doing a darn good job.Just my two cents.-Lindy :-wave :-rotor

>AVSIM Library Category Clarifications some clarification, i read it and got a headache. :)

Guest Edam

A simple solution (maybe)...put:© Complete(CP) Custom Panel(S) New Sounds(AF) New Air Fileor(RO) Repaint Onlywith the description on the Main Page.or, just (RO), if there is not enough room, which will mean that there are other modifications to those without that tag.

>Not only will it be impossible for me to examine these >"repaints" that have scrolled off the first of the library >pages, but I'm told that the practice will continue. It >seems to me that this makes the category worse than useless. > How am I to know if a "repaint" is just a repaint or if it >contains some gem that I want or need? Must I open each of >the 20 or more "repaints'" ZIPDIVEs and hope that the author >put a note in the README. At least in the 2002 Aircraft >category you expect to get certain things (such as >aircaft.cfg and *.air files) and usually, the description >will mention if a custom panel is included. Please allow me to introduce a radical concept that you may have overlooked... it's rather cleverly called the "Extended Search."By entering in the keyword "panel" in the description field, and limiting the searh to only the "FS2002 Repaints, Textures and Modifications" category, it took all of maybe 30 seconds to locate 156 files that use the work "panel" in their description.Creative use of other keywords will undoubtedly yield even more relevant interests, such as "custom panel," "sounds," etc.There, your problem is solved... :)

I'm sorry for your feelings of indifference and betrayal but if you would have taken just a few moments to look a bit further at the repaint category and its content you would have found that the category is not limited to textures files only.For the sake of simplicity we would have liked to keep all aircraft in just one category but that really didn't make sense then and it doesn't make sense now either. Furthermore the category titles need to be short and simple and we don't have the luxury of being able to explain our intentions in the content of the category title.But as Bill so rightly mentioned, it's amazing what the extended search feature can do to assist you in finding what you're looking for and it even narrows it down to the category of interest!The point I'm trying to clarify in that news piece is yes, there are a lot of folks and authors that don't realize that a repaint is a repaint regardless of its content. Textures only or a complete self contained aircraft is a repaint or modification if it's not an original aircraft file from the original author. I would estimate that more then 85% of the content in the repaint category are self contained aircraft! But there not original aircraft which is why there placed in the repaint category.Repaint authors continue to try to sneak there files into the aircraft category because they feel that there files are not receiving the proper exposure in the repaint category. That should not be the case if everyone understands what the intended content of the repaint category is.We thought about yet another category to catch all the modified aircraft files but that would be too confusing for most readers and authors, not to mention myself! :)Also, before someone mentions it, yes there are still a number of residual repaint files that are stilled housed in the aircraft category since we first made the new repaint category. We are currently working overtime in order to get those remaining files moved over but it is very time consuming and difficult to do so as we are also very busy with the normal daily duties of managing the library.In closing, the "FS2002 Aircraft" category is for original aircraft only. The category of "FS2002 Repaints, Textures, and Mods" is for any aircraft that has been repainted and therefore not an original aircraft file by the original author.Regards, Rick RossnerSr. Library ManagerAVSIM Onlinewww.avsim.comrick@avsim.com

Guest eko

Basically, if this is carried out... then the repaints/mods category is going to be the hot category.The amount of repaints, modifications, etc. etc. which come out on a daily basis is MUCH greater than "original" aircraft that have not been done before.I like this idea... a category which houses only "original" works, and then a category for derivative works of the original. So, for example, it should be easy to find the "original" file on which repaints, etc. are based.To go one step further, I would classify into three categories. "Originals", "Derivatives", and "Repaints". Originals would be exactly that, brand new, designed from scratch in GMAX/FSDS airplanes, with, or without panels and sounds. "Derivatives" would be complete airplanes (with or without panels and sounds, although I figure that most derivative works would be a repaint that adds a panel, or something like that) that are based on an original. "Repaints" would be texture files only, for which you would HAVE to go to the originals category and download the original model/package.This system, I think, would work great! The way the upload system is structured at AVSIM, it could easily be done, because authors choose categories already... if there was an informational paragraph when you choose the category, that could explain it to any uploading authors, it would be smooth as silk.The only problem with its implementation is getting all the files already in the library retroactively organized into the new categories... this is no small feat but extremely important, for consistency.

Hi,I sort of understand the need for a repaint category, but it does have some shortfalls that frankly, I don't really know what the solution would be short of just putting everything in an "aircraft" category.I recently uploaded several new planes on the same day, they were the same type of plane, but they each had different paint schemes. I uploaded them as distinct planes for folks who were using slow connections so they wouldn't have to download a bunch of liveries they did not want. I thought they should go in the FS2002 aircraft category, but they all ended up in the "repaint" category. Now, based on what I've read about the repaint category, that certainly seems to imply that there ought to be at least one of these planes in the "aircraft" category, since you'd think there must be an "original" plane that all of these repaints are based on.I'm not faulting avsim, I'd have probably done the same thing with a bunch of planes that all showed up at the same time, but it does seem to show that there are some holes in the repaint category.David R

I feel betrayed too... My goldfish died on me... on top of that my milk went sour and my toliet is plugged....I sure wished someone would have told me my goldfish would die one day, and the Milk I've been saving for a year would go bad.. I got ripped off....