Sign in to follow this  
michal

where to buy a good quality fresnel lens ???

Could you inform the site address and the model name / number please ?Thanks,Ulisses

Sorry, I couldn't find the correct model, can you help me ?Thanks again,Ulisses

>Sorry, I couldn't find the correct model, can you help me ? I am afraid you have to do some digging yourself. They offer many different shapes and "models" - what worked for my 19" may not work for your 21". You have to get dimensions, compare prices and select the one you want. Remember to buy a lens with about 50 grooves per inch since they also have lenses with 200 grooves - those are not good for imaging.Michael J.http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

Hey all,I'm close to ordering a enlarger from maxaid...But I am unsure as to what size to buy..(Yes I have searched!) :-) I have a 17" flat screen w a fair amount of room to move it. I assume at some point the Lens can be too big for the monitor behind it.Is 30" pushing it? Would I be better off going down in size ?Thanks!!Walt,

Guest jaapverduijn

Greetings Walt!The diagonal of your fresnel lens should be about the same as the diagonal of your monitor screen. A 30 inch lens with a 17 inch screen is an enormous overkill, and a major waste of money.Jaap Verduijn.

Thanks so much for the info Jaap!My diagonal is 17" so 17" more or less for the Lens also. Now from what I can tell from calling around so far that a TV Fresnal Lens is more on the range of 50". If I cut equally both top, sides and bottom..(In order to keep the center in the middle.)Could I cut something like that down to say 18"? The quality should be that same I assume...ThanksWalt,

A quality fresnel lens is so thick it would be difficult to cut without a saw. My lens is almost 1/6" thick - you can't even bend it.Michael J.

Hey Michael,I've got the tools to do it fer sure! But now a new question has cropped up it seems..Of the TV shops that are aware of what I am talking about, they ALL tell me the the image quality will be very poor. So what do you guys think that means ? A. TV Fresnel lenses are not high enough quality?B. On a computer monitor boxed in for flight sims it would be OK?C. I should just buy one online from Maxaid and be done w it.Uuughhhhhh!! :-zhelp Walt,

Good quality lens will cost you $ (read my posts above). It is your choice what you want to buy and how much $ you are willing to spend. I know nothing about the "TV fresnel lens".Michael J.

I gave up going the TV route...Big pain in the rear.Maxaid is the next choice. SO I called and began to order the same one CharlieZ mentioned. The lady asked what it was for..I told her and she stopped me and said I didn't want that one...That I needed the PC one which I see is quite a bit different.The TV enlarger will work fine correct ? I told her I'd have to call back to make sure I knew what I was ordering!One question If anyone can answer please... W my 17" monitor do I want the 25" or the 30" screen enlarger?Thanks !Walt,

Guest jaapverduijn

Take the smaller lens, Walt. Even that one will be (much) larger than you actually need. You'll be surprised at the enjoyment a good quality fresnel lens adds to the sim. I got mine about a year and a half ago, and I gladly trade in a little bit of sharpness and brightness for the large view I have now. You'll love it!Jaap Verduijn.

Thanks thats what I'll do !Oh btw how are the edges of the lens? Is there a blurry area around them?Walt,

I have been using a 30 inch TV enlarger on my 19 inch monitor for the past 2 years and it is 12 inches away from my monitor with a cardboard shadow box on the top and sides. I do not get any blurry edges and my monitor appears to be a 24 inch one.The reflection you see on the screen is due to the flash on my digital camera.

Guest jaapverduijn

Greetings Walt!I agree with Charlie: there's no really perceptable blurring at the edges. IN GENERAL a picture seen through a fresnel lens is a little less sharp than when you look directly at the monitor, but that's easily compensated for by the advantages.Jaap Verduijn.