Sign in to follow this  

Why is the 757 so neglected?

The 757 seems like the ugly stepchild of Boeing. I know there is a fantastic freeware one just released, but it seems very neglected by the payware community and I also heard Boeing was thinking of stopping production?What's wrong with it? I thinks it an awesome plane.

My theory about the 757 is that any payware product would have to beat the 767PIC from Wilco, since they would be closely compared. From what I know the 767 and 757 cockpits are quite similar. I have the same theory regarding a business jet. A payware company would have to go well above and beyond what Rob Young and Yannick Lavigne were able to do with their excellent Falcon. But of course my theory is just that, I have no definite answer. I would love to see a company take a stab at a 757. I do like the way developers are going back and developing older planes such as the DC9 and the 727 without FMCs. Flying without the aid of an FMC is great fun.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

PSS had a 757 Payware for FS2000 and decided not to update/patch it for 2002.IMO the time they spent on the 757 was ultimatly wasted. Im certian that they would have had market for it.Regaurds

Well, speaking as a Real World passenger who's flown in just about every type now flying (and many that are not) I can honestly say that, for me, there is nothing worse than flying coach in a 757. I didn't mind 'em when the company was paying for the seat up front, but now that I'm retired and paying for the seat in the back I'll never fly one again. It's a terrible, awful, cramped, no-fun airplane. I'd tell you what my wife thinks about the 757 but it would get the post deleted.Trip

Trip, having flown my share of 757's with BA inter-Europe and to the mid-east, I agree with your wife. :)

Man! I'm 6 ft tall, 225 lbs, and I haven't had an experience like that in 757. Even when I spent all day on one on the ground at ORD, before finally flying to SEA - and that plane was packed! Every seat. I've sat anywhere other than coach. That was UAL. I recently flew with AA on a 757 that had the "expanded" coach section, and it was pretty decent. As long as I don't have sh*t stuffed under the seat in front of me, I can stretch my legs all the way out. I think that the mood you're in has a LOT to do with how comfortable you feel. :)

BobK

Guest flightpro08

I totally agree with the original poster here. I'm amazed that no payware company has stepped up and created a good 757 with a good panel, VC, model, and FDE. I would think (as I've talked to quite a few people about this subject) that the market for a 757 would be very large. Sure there's already a great 767 on the market, which is actually the best Flight Sim addon in history without question, but I (and many others) would still love a good 757 in our hangars.One of the most frusterating things in seeing companies "duplicate" aircraft. While I won't name any examples here, as that wouldn't be very "nice", we all know of a few instances where two companes have come along and made the exact same aircraft (yes, some have been by accident, but some have not.) So the argument that there's already a good 767 (which is similar to the 757) out on the market really doesn't have any basis IMHO.

***The Message Above was NOT a Rant*** :-)

Ryan-Flightpro08 :-cool VATSIM Pilot/ControllerZLA ARTCC Senior Controller (C-3)SAN TRACON Lead ASRC (Advanced Simulated Radar Client) Beta Tester-----------------------------My "Home Made" System Specs:Intel Pentium 4 2.2GHz ProcessorTurbo Gamer ATX Mid-Tower with 420W Power SupplyEPoX 4G4A Motherboard with Intel 845G ChipsetVisiontek XTASY GeForce4 128MB Ti4600 (Det 41.09 Drivers)512MB PC2100 DDR RAM40GB Matrox 7200RPM Hard DriveWindows XP Home Edition SP1*No CPU or GPU Overclocking*3dMark2001SE Score: 11298-----------------------------Click [link:ftp.avsim.com/library/esearch.php?DLID=&Name=&FileName=&Author=Ryan+Fretwell&CatID=Root]Here to Download my American Eagle POSKY CRJ-200!

God! I'm 6"4 and 225 lbs and I can tell you not one a/c I've flown with makes my legs feel comfortable. And I can't get my company to buy me first class tickets either! Better start my own:-)Regards

Everyone I have met who flew the 757 (from the front 2 seats) loved the airplane. Lots and Lots of power. I once heard it described by a pilot that it looks like a skinny girl with big ....umm, wait, you can't say that! :-doh Sad to say that I think Northwest may take the last delivery of the 757 line when it delivers a 757-300 later this year. As far as I knowm, no other operators have any orders for the 757 at this time. Too bad. I really hope that PMDG might take up this project for FS2K2 since the 757 for Fly II was so much fun to have and compared pretty well with the PIC for FS2K2 in functionalilty. Maybe some Day :-)RegardsPaul:-cool

Paul Gollnick

Manager Customer/Technical Support

Precision Manuals Development Group

www.precisionmanuals.com

PMDG_NGX_Dev_Team.jpg

I'm with you on the 757 vs. comfort... But its cousin, the 767, is the most comfortable aircraft I've ever flown, especially when I've flown it transatlantic. Sadly, it is not used much out of Phoenix, as pax density/flight distances rarely justifies its use.For transcon flights, the A320 is probably one of the more comfortable single aisle aircraft I've flown. The MD series is also nice, especially if you are seated in the port seats, which are only two abreast.For shorter flights, I think the Embraer regional jets, or the CRJ-700, are about the best. I'm partial to Embraer again because of the seats on the port side.... A single seat... Very nice....What I do like about the 757 is its cruise comfort. Being able to climb into the higher flight levels (370-410) really makes a difference when you're in a lot of chop...-John

Guest N247BK

I think the 757 has seen its market come and go. It's too big for short haul markets, and too small for longer and higher density.I recently made several trips between Atlanta and Orlando, and flew a 777 each time. On a Richmond (Virginia) to Orlando roundtrip, booked for this week, I am scheduled on an ERJ-145.I would love to have sat front office on a 757, however. It is, I'm certain, a true pilot's airplane.

>>I would love to have sat front office on a 757, however...I think thats what Flight Simulation is all about!! I agree with the posters who say that it's not the most comfortable plane in coach, but we use FS2k2 to be the pilots, right :)I look at it as a sort the "hot rod" of Boeing. And for some reason when flying the 757 in real life, I always feel really safe.

"...but we use FS2k2 to be the pilots, right..."I prefer to use FS2002 as a pax simulator. To this extent, I have created a new hardware add-on, with a USB interface. I call it the "pax max" seat add-on for FS2002.Basically, it detects the type of aircraft being flown in FS. It then adjusts the seat to the width of the appropriate aircraft. You have the option to reduce that width by one or two inches, to simulate being seated next to a pax who is....well....my size. Inflatable bags plus movable side rails are used to simulate the effect.This seat also supports dynamic wing views via dual monitor setups... A "window", which is actually a CRT, is linked to the side view in FS. The window is on a swivel arm, so you can support port and starboard views. The main monitor, instead of displaying the forward view, displays any number of in-flight movies, which can be ordered from my website and downloaded as mpg's.The seat has an LCD "stripe" controlled by the software, so you can color coordinate it with existing decor in your virtual cabin. I initially offer the stripe in one of two colors--hot pink and burnt orange. You can purchase additional "Stripe liveries" for $15.00, which can then be downloaded into the software. No arguments about my seat livery pricing. I've determined that the FS community has deep pockets, and will pay anything for a seat livery if I tell 'em it has the value of a Porsche... :)What the heck were we talking about....757's?

I would say the MD11 is more neglected in the flightsim community than the 757. At least you have the 767PIC panel that you can use with that aircraft. We've never had anything good for the MD11 (Panel wise or Payware) brought out in resent years or versions of FS.The MD11 is by far the most unrepresented and the L1011 is not far behind...

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

LOLActually, I DO do the pax thing too, but it's never cramped in my nice big soft computer chair, so I should be able to stand the 57! Plus the drinks keep flowing and are ALWAYS cheap on my jets.