Sign in to follow this  

Why is the 757 so neglected?

I agree with what most have posted here. I'm 6'6" and 335 lbs (offensive lineman, for you football fans out there), and I have a hard time finding a seat to fit into. However, I can make myself small when I need to.For those looking for good international legroom, Air NZ and Finnair provide the best. On Air NZ's 744's, I can sit in a regular seat in comfort, and even with a bag under the seat in front of me, I can put the tray table down. Same goes for Finnair's A319/A320/A321 range (all of which I've had the good fortune to fly on). Domestically, the A319s/A320s I've flown (NW, AmWest, UA) have been good to me. Otherwise, find yourself an Exit Aisle seat. More room there. On the 757 (my favorite a/c to fly in FS, and best looking in real life, IMHO), if you get an exit aisle seat, there's nothing in front of you, so you can stretch out. My worst flights of all time:1) CSA A310 from JFK to Prague - No legroom between the seats. Just in a normal sitting position, my knees were up against the seat in front of me. I ended up standing in the rear of the a/c for 6 1/2 hours watching the movies. Thank goodness for subtitles. 2) Delta 763 from Frankfurt to Atlanta - Similar story. No legroom between the seats. Longer flight than above, too, and I was shoved into a corner (they said they had no aisle or exit row seats available, and then I come to find a couple of 5'5" high schoolers sitting there; I really don't like Delta any more, and will not fly them), made worse by the unlucky fact that the aisle next to me was taken up by a woman with a cane who had to keep her cane in the crack between our seats. Other than all that, service was bad pretty much the whole way.3) United 777 from Auckland to Los Angeles - Especially in row 41, where the aisle seats have solid sides, and as always, there is no legroom between the seats. Had it not been for a nice person sitting in front of me who gladly switched seats, this would have been the most uncomfortable 12 hours of my life. And that's the news... ;) Just glad I can now sit in my comfy computer chair, stretch my legs, and fly the beautiful IFDG 757 (just did the SJU-MIA run in the American version with the new LP panel; SWEET!).Rob D.:-beerchug

My best coash oceanic hop was on a USAir 767 from KPIT to EDDF--very spacious seat legroom wise. Made even better by having no seatmate coming and going...My worst--a NW flight between SFO and Narita. The return was booked solid, and I was wedged up against the window by two non-English speaking souls with all their earthly belongings. They refused to move and understand all international sign language for "I gotta get up now!" I was wedged in that seat for something like 12,13 hours... I spent the next three days in a sitting position :)My favorite seating story. I had to fly one of SWA's longer 737-700 routes--BWI to PHX. Forecast headwinds made for a six hour, "full" flight. As I boarded the aircraft, I saw someone in the back of the a/c who had the appearance of a gangbanger from the 'hood, including the bandana, sitting in an aisle seat. I gestured to the window, asked if it was vacant, and he grunted "yes". Only word he spoke the whole flight.My thinking was that others might make the same assumptions based on his appearance (guy probably was just a very quiet, albeit sinister looking doctor). Of the 50,60 pax that boarded after I did, not one would sit between us. Only vacant seat left on the plane, as it turned out. Of course, perhaps the pax didn't want to sit next to me :)

Hi All,I would just like to say that the real 757 is my favorite aircraft to fly on. I like it sleek looks, performance and comfort. And I have flown on almost every type of larger western aircraft, except the 777 and the Concorde. Here's the trick to a comfortable ride on a 757 - I always request (if available) a seat in an exit row no matter what type of aircraft, lots of leg room there. Try it on your next flight no matter what type of aircraft. It works for me.FredCAT_II 2KORD

Honestly, I have been on one 757 flight, Delta from Seattle-Salt Lake City, and it wasn't bad at all, from stories I've heard on 757 and esspecialy Delta anything :-lol(lol) but it was flawless, I enjoyed it actualy! then from SLC-LAS that was different, I was in the last row on the #2 side, window seat in a Delta 737-300 ancient one too :-lol paint was peeling off the sides of the windows lol, reminded me of flying on Tupolev's in Russia (Without the noise and the cigarette smoke :-hah LOL)Best Regards Derek Beal :-wavePROUD RUSSIAN/CANADIAN! :D

Hmm,I don't think the 757 has been completely ignored.If you are not adverse to using more than one sim, PMDG's 757 for FLY 2 is quite nice.I have never messed with my (perfect imho) 767 PIC beyond the Posky merge, but I hear that their are many who have converted their models to 752s. Flight decks of the 200 series 76 & 75 are identical, so it's not too far a stretch.As for flying on them, I'm 5'10 , so I enjoy just about everything with wings, with a little room to spare :-lolCheers,Roger

Guest tcable

I'm 5'8" and no airplane passenger seat has been designed for a human.Best trip(s) I used to get lucky frequently and have teh entire row to myself on an otherwise full plane. There was even one time where I was one of a dozen passengers on a 757 (1998- BOS-BWI) on that return trip from Atlanta, (on USAirways) I was ona direct flight through Philly. ON the leg from PHL-BOS, I had a boarding passs for a seat that did not exist- it was teh aft galley! they did have a set though that didin ot recline. We were also the last flight in that night to Bos due to WX...Tim

Guest Eugen

Bill Grabowski is working on MD 11 panel check his forum on www.fsnordic.netRegardsEugen

Tim wrote:>I'm 5'8" and no airplane passenger seat has been designed >for a human.:-lol :-lol :-lol :-lol :-lol :-lol :-lol :-lol Fair enough,Roger