Sign in to follow this  
Guest MelvinRafi

No Reflections with a GeForce 4??

Guest MelvinRafi

First off, I would sincerely like to thank you guys for making the MelJet 777 launch such a huge success. It's been less than 24 hours and already repaints are coming in. I never imagined that!Anyway, on to the message topic. This is highly absurd! I've just got a new laptop and everything works perfect in FS2002 - except the reflections are nowhere to be seen. My specs are...Toshiba Satellite 5200-801Pentium 4 Mobile 2.0Ghz1024 MB RAMnVidia GeForce 4 Go 460 (64MB)As you can see, my specs should be more than adequate to run FS2002. I have reflections on in the FS display menu. At the beginning of 2002, I had an older Toshiba Satellite with a GeForce 2 Go 32MB and it reproduced reflections like a walk in the park.Also, I tried installing the latest Detonators (41.something) but somehow the drivers weren't recognized - the old 36.38 drivers still remained.Can anyone offer any suggestions? Is it a driver problem?Best regardsMelvin Rafiwww.meljet.com

Guest PaulL01

Melvin,This is not a problem of Nvidia they followed the D3D code to the letter, the issue lies with MSFS.Send me your E-mail, I will send you back a file.pleatzaw@frontiernet.net

Download gf4mxdsp.zip from FLIGHTSIM library and it should fix your reflections problem.

Melvin -Glad I can probably help you here, your 777 is AMAZING!! I was just flying it a bit ago... Definitely the best freeware aircraft model I've ever seen (and it eclipses most of the payware ones too)I have the Toshiba 5105-901 with the same graphics chip and here's what I did as far as drivers etc go. The Detonator drivers on the Nvidia site technically don't support the GF4 Go. They driver production is supposeed to be up to the manufacturer but Toshiba never updates them. Here's what to do:The GF4 Go is essentially a GeForce 4 MX integrated into the laptop - soo....Download the latest Detonator, extract them to a temp folder, uninstall your current driver from add remove programs, restart the laptop and then goto the device mangager. Right click the device under Display Adapters and choose Update Driver, choose select the device from a list and point it to the temp folder. Pick the GF4 MX 440 from the list and install, ignore any warnings it gives you and continue with the install - when you restart everything should be cool and it will actually show up as a GF4 Go.As for the reflections, it was my understanding that the GF4 MX chip didn't support them at least until recently - I remeber people saying Direct X 9 enabled them, so you could try installing that.Hope that helps!Ryan

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest MelvinRafi

Thanks for the help guys. I've downloaded the file from FlightSim but I'm running a GF4 Go 460, and it doensn't have an entry for that.Paul, I've sent you an email.Just to clarify things, when I start FS2002, the aircraft preview window shows no reflections. However, if I click somewhere outside the whole FS2002 interface, like on the desktop, and then click back on FS2002, the reflections come back on. Then I click on Fly Now and things seem OK. But when I change the time to dusk or dawn the reflections go haywire. Some parts have them, and some don't.I've also noticed that FS simply won't run in full screen mode. This is getting really weird. Do you have any other suggestions?Thanks a bunch!:) Melvin Rafiwww.meljet.com

Guest MelvinRafi

Hi Ryan! I guess we posted at the same time - I didn't see your post when I replied. Thanks for the advice. I'll try that out also. Do I select MX460 instead of MX440 since I have the 460 Go?By the way, how does the 901 differ from the 801? Here in the UK, the Satellite section of the Toshiba site doesn't say anything about the 901.Thanks again folks!:) Melvinwww.meljet.com

Guest PaulL01

>As for the reflections, it was my understanding that the GF4 >MX chip didn't support them at least until recently - I >remeber people saying Direct X 9 enabled them, so you could >try installing that. >>Hope that helps! >Ryan Hi Ryan,The NV17 >GF4MX do infact support reflections just fine, always have. The problem lies with the way Fs2k handles or communicates (or lack thereof)to the driver, I worked rather closly with Nvidia Software Quality Assurance and DX group and that is what they found. I do know that all info was passed on to MSFS but thats as far as that went as only MS can offer the whole fix and an update is rather doubtful, but for now lets see if we can the GF460 go , to go. :)

Guest PaulL01

Melvin,Please try the the display.cfg file anyway. BTW, what does FS2k2 call your card in the settings/graphics/hardware menu?Paul

Melvin - sorry, yes select the GF4 MX 460 in the driver install... Even if your reflections start working with the fix Paul gave you, I'd still upgrade the driver because those 3x.xx series ones it comes with are horribly out of date the 4x.xx add huge speed increases for the 3 and 4 series of cards.Ryan

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest MelvinRafi

Thanks a lot. Yes, I've installed the 41.09s and 95% of my problems disappeared.And yes, the display.cfg did correct the reflection issues, unless I'm dreaming or it's a placebo effect.:) Melvinwww.meljet.com

I am just having this problem with the GeForce 460Go card. Can anyone help me out on how to get reflections to work with the game functioning properly?