Sign in to follow this  
Guest gooper

Should Microsoft licence MelJet, POSKY and others?

I don't know how the authors feel about this, but maybe Microsoft should seriously consider licencing some of the MelJet and POSKY (and maybe also IFDG, FFG, AFG etc) models for use in FS2004.Think about it... FS2004 would then have amazing default 777, 747, 767 models and lots of liveries. The authors would get a little money from Microsoft for their tremendous efforts and the prestige of having their models in FS2004.Microsoft could spend their time on the core FS2004 engine and leave the aircraft models to the experts!I dont think Microsoft can do any better than Mel and POSKY.I guess these authors need the FS2004 alpha and betas to adapt their models to the FS2004 features.What do you think?Matthew.

That'd be nice, but would never happen.Ever wonder why MS default planes never wear real world liveries? Probably because they would have to license every livery they plan on releasing, and that would cost a large amount of money, its simply not worth it to them. Why bother? freeware gorups can release their own models, liveries etc without a single cent being spent from MS.From my experiences, model compatability doesn't come until very late beta builds, so it's hard to adapt models early.

Cheers,

John Tavendale
Textures by Tavers - https://www.facebook.com/texturesbytavers

Guest Milio_B

I agreeIf MS decides to release let's say POSKY's 767, our YS-11 and Project Fokker's F70, then they would have to set agreements and spend more money with Boeing, NAMC and Fokker.....I don't think MS wants to spend that kind of money, and even if they did, it would only raise the price of the game itself, when you caould freely downlaod the a/cs on the web.

Also, have you noticed that default MS aircraft is not as detailed as the best of freeware/payware aircraft? It takes system resource to render those aircraft, which will increase the minimun system requirements of the simulator. Guess what, higher the minimum system requirement, less audience to sell. Less audience to sell, less money they make.

...Don't forget they already have an agreement with Boeing... and Cessna, Bombardier, Mooney, Beech, likely Piper tooDanny

And don't forget: less copies to spread the (higher) development cost around, higher price per copy!Ever wondered why people are always complaining that their AI is so slow?They use Posky and Meljet, PSS and Dreamfleet aircraft as AI. 1 of those is bad enough on a low end machine, now imagine having a dozen on your screen at once...

I still don't see a point to this sort of thread...

It's not such a far-flung idea at all. The publisher of Fly2 and PMDG came fairly close to including the PMDG 777 in the Fly2 release.

Guest imemyself

It depends on when it is. Right after a new version of FS is released the default planes are better and have more features than addon aircraft do. But like right now, a little over half way between FS versions there are better addon aircraft compared to the default aircraft.

Microsoft has a tendency to kill or severly mutilate anything that it absorbs from others. The posky's and meljets are best left as freeware. Right now, it is not the aircraft design that needs to be revamped. I believe it is the flight models that need to refined the most in FS. I still cannot get any of the posky's or meljets to fly horizontally. They are always pitched slightly upwards even during cruise on autopilot.

Guest gooper

Gopal that is how real aircraft fly for the most part- they are usually (depending on weight, temperature,and a number of other factors) ) piched up 1-3 degrees in level cruise.