Sign in to follow this  
Guest danowat

Water cooling coolant suggestions

Guest danowat

Hi All,My water cooling system will be with me today, and I have been searching the net to find good cooling soloutions.Most of the info seems like my old A level Chemistry class, and would like some SIMPLE suggestions on what to use.So far, I have been able to glean that steam-distilled water is the best choice for a "base" coolant, and adding "water-wetter" will aid against corrosion, and also increase the cooling properties, trouble is "water-wetter" is

how about car anti-freeze, that contains a rust inhibitor and aswell as lowering the freezing point (not a lot of use in a PC), raises the boiling point (could be usefull), you can even ge it pre-mixed with distilled water and it costs a lot less than 20 quid for a whole gallon (bigger UK gallon as opposed to smaller US), let alone a small bottle. as an alternatie to anti-freeze you can buy summer coolant pre-mixed for cars, but anti-freeze may be a better idea because it can drop below freezing in the night during winter and summer oolant is very hard to find as most people use anti-freeze all year round. Just mae sure you do not spill it on you PC :)

Guest danowat

I did think about using engine coolant/anti freeze, but have been advised not to due to the increased viscosity, thus making it harder to pump around the system, and also it reduces the thermal "uptake" thus reducing the cooling effect.If this is not correct then someone let me know.That said, I am still freaking nervous about having water pumping round the insides of my PC :-loledit: just had another thought, we have here at work some "cimcool" solouble coolant we use for our CNC machining centres, how about some of that?.Dan.

I have been using a watercooled system for about 4 years.There is no way I would ever go back to aircooled.As to the anti-corrosion fluid:it should not cost more then

Guest bobsk8

>I did think about using engine coolant/anti freeze, but have>been advised not to due to the increased viscosity, thus>making it harder to pump around the system, and also it>reduces the thermal "uptake" thus reducing the cooling>effect.>>If this is not correct then someone let me know.>>That said, I am still freaking nervous about having water>pumping round the insides of my PC :-lol>>edit: just had another thought, we have here at work some>"cimcool" solouble coolant we use for our CNC machining>centres, how about some of that?.>>Dan.My company uses a mixture of water and ethylene glycol to cool complex digital processor IC's and it works very well. You don't mix enough ethylene glycol in the solution to significantly affect the flow rate of the solution.