Sign in to follow this  

Edimensinal Glasses - An Issue & An Interesting Flight

First the Issue:I received my 3-D glasses at Christmas. Yes, there is some effort involved to getting this glasses to sync in with the stereo drivers, but the ultimate result is totally worth the effort. So what is the real issue? I really don't think it is the glasses themselves that cause the frustration factor to elevate when trying to make them work. It really has to be a combination of the E-Dimensional software and the stereo drivers not being able to sync immediately together. I find that having the refresh rate at 100 Mhz and screen resolution at 1024 X 768 works the best for me. I do have to Alt-Enter a couple of times before the glasses stay in the 3-D mode. I believe I finally settled on the Nvidia 30.82 Stereo and Detonator Drivers. If you have the glasses and are experiencing difficulty, be patient and try various resolutions, refresh rates, and Alt-Enter a few times. Once it kicks in, you'll be glad you went through the effort. By the way, I am getting 3-D while using Anitalising and Anistrophic Filter. Absolutely stunning!Now for the flight:First, download two items: An ultralight model from AVSIM and the FS 2002 Las Vegas scenery from [http://www.fsfreeware.com/cgi-bin/dcd_a/dcd.cgi]. Flying the ultralight down the strip at night from the airport down the strip to the downtown area where you turn left and go through the "Freemont Street Experience" covered arched area. The level of detail is absolutely amazing in 3-D. Be sure you turn off crash mode so you can fly through the building at the end of Freemont St. Frame rate locked at 19 and very smooth. Enjoy!KeithAMD 1700+Windows 2000 Pro512 MB RAMGeForce 4 Ti-4600Nvidia 30.82 Detonator DriversViewsonic A90f 19" Monitor

Well, Got mine at Thanksgiving and they still don't work. Iv'e had to restore my computer after each try becouse it screws up my startup page and also locks up Fs2k2 most of the time after loading e-d. I have read most of the post here. The sad thing is why a company would put out a product as instresting as this and send such poor install instruction. I did get them to work one time but the tower and ils lights were doing crazy things at Meigs. Really bad on the eyes. Oh well, maybe after I leave them in the box a month or two I'll feel like trying it again. I recomand if anyone is instrested in buying eD that they read every they can find on this forum first.

Fox,Reading this forum is definitely a great idea. That is how I learned the Alt-Enter workaround. I totally concur that Edimensional should have made the installation and workability of the glasses as foolproof as possible. It is rather cluegy to get these glasses in "full operational" status. The unfortunate thing is that there are so many variables within the computer environment (eg. operating systems, graphic cards, drivers, motherboards, monitors, DirectX, CMOS settings, etc.). BTW: I did purchase the wireless version of the glasses, and I recommended turning off other lights in the room while using the glasses. It helps eliminate the "flashing" in the glasses. Some folks might interpret the flashing as a sign of weak batteries in the wireless model. It could very well be the other lights in the room causing the flashing problem.It would be interesting to find out if there is any resemblance of commonality among the users experiencing problems with the glasses. My specs are at the bottom of my first post. I am also running DirectX 8.1 and AGP is turned off. Antialiasing is 4XS and AF is set to 8. Anyway, hope all this info helps someone get up and runnning. Once you get it working, you will not want to fly without it. I guess I will be saving for the Edimensional chair next.Keith

Hey guys, anyone who is experiencing problems with ED glasses is probably trying to run the 30.xx stereo drivers on 40.xx display drivers. It wont work. Download the stereo 40.xx beta drivers and make sure your display drivers are also 40.xx, turn off AA and youre in business!Craig

Keit, Thanks for answering.My sys: AMD Athlon XP-2200, 1.79 GHz 512 RAM Nvidia GeForce Ti4200 Drive Version 2.8.3.2 ViewSonic A90, 19" (refresh rate 60hz-80hz) Direct x8.1Question: Why should I upgrade my drivers when everything is working great with fs2k2 with everything maxed out in the display. Frame rates 18-25, no studder? The first post today is talking about a guy having problems with 41.09.... Also, I went to www.gur3d.com and they had several driver updates for XP-2002....How would one know which to use? I have an HP computer and tried to laod a windows update/pack with bad results.. thanks goodness for the restore program in XP. If you can think of something that might work for my sys. for the E-D glasses, send me a e-mail if you don't want to post it here. Thanks again ED

About the "crazy things" with ILS, VASI, NDBs etc. Try turning off Transform&Lighting in FS2k2. That worked for me and others.

/Tord Hoppe, Sweden

Ed, if you go to guru3D and click on downloads, videocard drivers, stereo drivers and click on the 40.xx stereo control panel. these are the drivers you want, and dont download the newest file which says 41.07 or something like that because its mostly an advertisement containing the same software. I believe you can run any det drivers 40.00 and up, but I cant comment on any other than the 41.09's which it works fine. If you need any other help, let us know.Craig

Well, you could help me with my spelling. Don't think I have any studs in my computer..Oh maybe the ones holding it together.(stutter) You got the message anyway. I'm a little confused. Do I have a video card driver and a stereo driver or are they one in the same. My sys tell me that my video driver is 2.8.3.2 Could I be looking at the wrong numbers. This computer is about 4mo. old. When I loaded ED and did the setup, ED loaded some stereo drivers or something to do with stereo setup. I can't get that info now as I have restored and don't have it installed now. Oh well, thanks for the reply and maybe a light bulb will turn on soon..........ED

Ed, I was assuming that you had WinXP, but you didnt say. Stereo drivers and video drivers are not one in the same, you definitely need both. If you have WinXP, you shouldnt have been able to install any drivers from the ED disc that came with the glasses, unless they are distributing a newer disc with them since I acquired the glasses. If you do have 28.32 drivers running your video card, then you are in serious need of an update. I would imagine that you are looking at the right number because Im sure its the only number in that box and that is how it is presented on my pc too, but mine says 4.1.0.9. If you dont have WinXP, then the drivers that came with the glasses will definitely work until you figure out what Im talking about (and dont feel left out if sometimes I am kind of hard to understand as I often make things harder and more complicated than they need to be).Craig

Keith, Did you know that the fireworks come on about 08:30 or is it 10.30 pm in Vagas. That should be something to see with E-D

CraigYes I have XP. The CD that came with ED has two files on it. The first file is a video card driver used to make video card display best graphics. Second file is E-D stereo drivers used to convert games into 3-D. It states that the current version on the CD is 30.82 and I'm assuming that this is a stereo driver. I have the wireless glasses and received them at Thanksgiven. Guess this is something new.. Still didn't work for me...But hay, I'm going to get these things working some day. I thinks you are probably right about up/dating my drivers. But everything is working so good with fs2k2 that I just didn't want to mess things up..You know..If it aint broke don't mess with it.... Thanks for all the input and I am taking notes for sure...It's sure great to be able to get this much help when you don't really understand the computer that well...Thanks again......ED

Howdy Fox,It sounds as if you are not using the Stero Drivers. If You have an nVidia card do not use the Wicked 3D drivers that come on the CD with the E-D glasses. You need to use the nVidia Stero drivers in conjunction with the regular video drivers. Or in other words if you are using the 3082 video drivers you should also download the 3082 Stero Drivers. If you are using the 3087 video drivers then use the 3087 Stero Drivers. The 3082 drivers and Stero Drivers may be downloaded from the E-D web page and the 3087 set may be downloaded from nVidia web page. Both of these pages are so well know that I will not waste space linking them here. The way to tell which version number you have, is to right click the desktop, click Properties, and,(for WinMe), click Settings then Advanced then the tab for your video card. At the bottom of the page for the video properties box is an area that lists all the drivers file names. It will list something on this order for the 3087 drivers I am currently using.nvdisp.drv Display driver 4.13.3087To find the version number look at the 4 least significant numbers or in this case the 3087, this tells you I am using the 30.87 drivers. There will be several entries here, about 13 Now scroll down near the bottom, and if you have the nVidia Stero Drivers installed you will see an entry similar to the below. This entry will probably be abut the 14th entry listed.nvstercp.dll Stero Display Properties Extens... 6.13.10.3087This is the first file for the Stero Drivers.Again the 4 least significant numbers or the 3087 tells me I am indeed using the 30.87 Stero Drivers. If you download the 40xx series of Stero Drivers, to use with the 40.. and up series of video drivers, they will still tell you they are the 3087 Stero Drivers. These are the 3087 Stero Drivers that have been placed in a 40.xx wrapper to force them to work with the 40 and up series of drivers. I have found on my system that the 40 series do not work as well as the 3082 and 3087 drivers and Stero Drivers, others have said they work with their system, your milage may vary.Turn of T&L in the flight sim hardware box, and things on the ground will stay put for you. Try different resolutions, I find that 1024x768x32 work the best on my 19" monitor. I can get higher resolutions to work, but stero gets crankier the higher I go in resolution. at the above stated resolution I get a refrsh rate of 120, which is ideal.There has been quite a few discussions, and some good information to help people get aquainted with 3D Stero, My particular thanks to Alex and Rex in this regard.Watch and search the forum for more info, and if and when you find something of intrest be sure and let the rest of us know. :)Hope this helpsGood Luck,

Thanks DonaldYour post is very good info for me. I'm beginning to understand this driver thing. I remember seeing the listings you talk about. My driver is listed as 6.13.10.2832 and I don't remember seeing a stereo driver listing. Will check that out soon. Wonder why my driver is so old and my sys. so new?? 4mos. I think I will try the 30.87 setup first and then maybe go to the 40xx if I get things to work. Thanks again for everyones help. And thanks Keith for starting this post. Its amazing how much I have learned just asking a few dumb question. Ed

Fox,I set my clock to 10:00 pm, and the fireworks were ablazing and booming. You can even see the white puffs of smoke after the explosion. I flew the ultralight right into the fireworks. Man, what a sight and sound. Awesome experience.Speaking of ultralights, I download the Challenger ultralight model from the [http://www.flightsimmodels.com]home page. They have pontoon versions of the model as well. I believe it was around $15. The models works great in FS2K2.I wouldn't give these glasses up for anything. I only download models now that have virtual cockpits. It just doesn't get any better than this in a low-cost simulator environment. My E-dimensional chair is the next thing on my shopping list.Keith

Kieth, Thought you might enjoy Vagas with the fireworks. I built and fly an ultralight. Its called an AirBike. The rudder paddles are on the outside of the fuseladge, ( like a motorcycle ) It looks a lot like a J-3 Cub. Lots of fun and you don't have to have a private lic. to fly it. I fly the helo some in fs2k2 but haven't tried the Vagas fireworks in it yet. Think I will do that soon.. Anyway thanks for you help, I will be working on the drivers and getting e-d up and running soon I hope. I think this post will help a lot of new e-d buyer get started.. E-D should putt all you guys on the payroll..... Ed FOX