Sign in to follow this  

Upgrade for FS2002

I know this question has probably been asked hundeds of times but I couldn't find an answer doing a search,so I'm asking it again.I am currently running an AMD Athlon 1.2 Gz processor with 512MB RAM and a GeForce 2 video card. If I was going to upgrade either the processor or the video card (1 but not both)which would give me the most "bang for my buck" as far as performance for FS2002?Regards,Mike W

FS2004 is close enough (if it follows pattern, it'd likely show up in 9-10 months) that you may want to hold off on upgrading this late in the game. Wait to see what FS2004 requires... I have a slower cpu, but same vid card. If it were me, I'd think of upgrading the vid card to one of the new 128 meg cards, like the GeF 4. Better though, I suggest people offer help by setting up a flight at ORD, runway 27L with all settings maxed, and clear weather/unlimited vis. Also max AI... Give cpu and card type, and report fps... That scenario touches on all the major components of 2k2.... It'd give you a great idea as to what helps more.

Guest RobA

Tried John's test and get 14-15 fps w/default Cessna.Same exact setup as you but a 1.4 cpu 2 yrs old Win98I've wondered about upgrading the video to 128 but with FS2004 coming sooner than you think, I'll wait a bit and see what it needs. Right now the sim is very fluid with max eye candy via Radar Contact, terrain mesh, sceneries, clouds, weather program, FltMax, etc. etc. ;-) Frames locked at 16 and getting them with both payware and freeware aircraft. This sim is a joy to use and only gets better with everyone's contributions.Best regards,RobA.

Guest Rob

Hi Mike,What I recommend doing here, that will give you the best value for money overall, is wait a few months for nVidia to release the GeForce FX. This will drastically lower the price of top-end GeForce 4 Titanium graphics cards, making them easily affordable for Flight Simming.

jerrycwo4 I have updated my CPU from: 333, 500, 933 and DUEL AMD 1800+ and the video card 3 times and the ONLY times I have seen an increase in FPS is when I updated to a faster CPU, not the video card. ( from Fs'98-Fs2002.jerry

Thanks for the advice from everyone.I'm not as concerned with FPS as much as smoothness of flight.I'm fairly cose but I feel like I need just a little something more to take away those slight stutters you get in a turn.Regards,Mike W