Sign in to follow this  

Help me choose a panel - NOT A FLAME THREAD :-)

Hi folks,Here's the situation. I'm a college student. I only have the money to purchase one addon right now, and I can't decide between the CS 727 and the Ready for Pushback 742.But here's the catch: I only care about the sheer realism of the panel right now. I don't really care about the visual model; as for the flight model, the customer service, documentation, intangibles, etc., I already have my own opinion.So if you were a hard-core panel realist like me, which would you choose? And like the title of the thread suggests, I really don't want this to turn into a flame war and get shut down. The problem isn't the quality of the 2 products--the problem is my inability to purchase both :-)Thanks in advance:-beerchug

Well, in my honest opinion, I would have to say go for the 742. I've got, and it's quite impressive. The CS727 is also a great product, and I finally have that one as well. I guess it comes down to this: both products are good, but the 742 will keep you reading, learning, and practicing a lot longer. Documentation(one of the things I look at) for the 742 I think could have been a little better, but then again, anything you don't understand or need clarification on can be and usually is answered within minutes at the RFP website. Excellent support, and a 742 Capt active in the forums. If you're really lookin into it more for the realism of system ops, etc...the 742 is for you.This is of course, only my opinion.Brian

Guest guyjr

Well, I took a look at Captain Sim's site today, and am quite impressed by the screenshots. However, I'd say go for the 747 instead, because if you look in the freeware library here for "rp727pn3.zip", you're going to be quite pleased. Probably in the top 5 best ever freeware panels made, and it's for the 727! All you'll need then is to grab Mike Stone's wonderful gmax model 727-200, and some sounds as well (I think I got mine from a file called "cf722aa.zip", maybe at another site if it's not here at avsim). Get those put together, and you've saved enough money to purchase the other product! :)Good luck with whichever you choose! I'm personally loving the new Meljet + PSS panel combo.

Try the PSS A3XX series. that panel will keep you reading and learning for quite some time!! The manuals etc for the plane and panel was over 400 pages when I printed it...big binder.Great plane, great looking panel. Highly functional FMC. If yr into that kind of modern stuff. If you want the steam gauges then the CS727 is a great bird too. Main thing I would look at to choose between these is what kind of flying you do. If you want shorter regional flights or domestic type routes, the 727 is great. If you want longer international or overwater flights, the 742 would do that. I almost always choose based on how I fly and how much time I have.Eric

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

Well, if the picture of the main 2-D panel is any indicator, I wouldn't buy the 747. Instead of having your primary flight instruments in the center of your field of vision, you have the back-up artificial horizon. The pilot must have a sore bum from sitting on the number one and number two engine throttles for the whole flight...I can't tell whether the plane is pointed at the control tower or the runway. Kind of hard to line up on landing if you can't figure that out...

Whilst I personally don't like a number of things in the CS 727 package (not to mention that they have finally released it :-) ), I must say that to infer that Mikes GMAX 727 could be a suitable alternative is really one great big smack in the face to CS!Nothing against Mikes model, just a realistic statement about the detail in the CS model.Naturally, I'd point out that there'll soon enough be another choice for ultra-realistic add-ons :-)http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/Previews/727...IF/727_WING.gifJust one of the 4 passenger wing views included with the DF727 that of course includes a VC.More pic's of panels and models here.http://www.simforums.com/forums/display_fo....asp?ForumID=11As for the VMAX 742, I don't have it and although I understand the systems are modelled well, I'm not personally in favour of that kind of pilots perspective.All the best,http://www.blandreynolds.btinternet.co.uk/DF_PG_sm.gif

Guest Staalplaat

First of all I have to admit that I own neither of the two addons you're willing to choose from. From what I've read about them (yep, wanting them but I'm a student too!!) the RfP 742 has the most realism in terms of systems e.d., a feature that I want to see in a addon too!But if you want realism, real working AND interacting systems, emergency procedures and just shear realism, my advise is to look for a copy of PIC 767. This addon is in my opinion the most realistic for MS FS ever and flies like a dream. See the PIC forum here on Avsim if you have any questions.Oh, and a freeware tip, that is if you like Realism: look for the freeware Dash 8 version 1.003 here at Avsim!!! Shear panel realism!!!Good luck with your choice.

For the Dash 8, system realism yes, visual realism no. Again, the primary flight displays are so far left because the designer chose to cram every single gauge on the main panel instead of using sub panels, that it is almost impossible for me to land this plane manually because I can't tell where it is really going....

Paul, Nevermind, I just found them!Can you please post some panel pics of the upcoming three-holer? The exterior model is nice, but I am much more interested in the view from the left hand seat and to see how you will handle getting the appropriate perspective. Colin