Sign in to follow this  
Guest jbarruezo

FSMadrid Barajas 2002 scenery

I'll add a third note of thanks here. I just installed it last night, and it is very good. I can live with some of the issues until the new version comes out (I deal with worse at some airports). Frame rates aren't much of a bother on my system, either. They do go down to about 12 fpm while away from the terminal, and about 6 near it. So it's usable.I know how you feel about GMAX, too. I can't seem to get a grasp of it, either. Someday someone will come out with a more user-friendly system that will incorporate all of its best elements.Rob D.:-beerchug

Can't remember the link, but a few months ago we had a discussion and a lot of tests on the scenery design forum, and these showed that GMax scenery gives much framerates then the old tools.This is mainly caused by the new drawing commands, so FSDS2 should also give better performance for example, but I don't know if anybody has already compared it with GMax since it is out.Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[a href=http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen/banner.jpg[/a]

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

a little off topic now, but well...So, I did this test yesterday (fly with/without AI and compare frame rate). I started at LFPG with PSS A320, took off and just flew circles over the airport at 3000 feet. First test with AI at 100%: frame rate starts at 20, and quickly drops to 3-4 as AI aircraft appear (I can see that on the TCAS). At that moment, I went to prefs and set AI to 0%. Frame rate immediately went back to 20. Set AI to 100% again, and frame rate went quicly down to 3-4 again.Displaying airports on ND, I can see at least 15 airports in a 20 NM range. I think this generates far too much AI, which is the reason for the extreme slowdown.So, I'll change my advice. When testing frame rate, remove all AI, and don't bother with weather :-).Eric.

Reflective textures look great, but they don't seem to work (fine) on scenery objects. In GMax they only seem to work if you assign the texture as an aircraft texture (even if it is a scenery object). That for example also means that you set the texture quality of your object with the aircraft texture slider.Haven't really played with FSDS2 enough, but I am not sure if it can make reflective textures for scenery objects.Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[a href=http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen/banner.jpg[/a]

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

Congratulations for a fantastic piece of work! Regarding the flickering textures for the gate stands, I experimented by doing a small modification in the code of file "lel2.bgl" (which contains those scenery objects)Just changed the "rel" in the reference point of the relevant "objects", to "abs", and added the E= 609 (elevation). May not be the long-term solution but, meanwhile, it fixed the problem for me. No more flickering.:-)

I have uploaded a very detailed (no-overlay) afcad file, made from scratch, for this Barajas to Project AI. But I would be interested too in overlays, please do it.:-)

Usually this flickering is caused by the ground polygon not having a proper layer or not being flattened good enough.If for example the ground polygon is made with FSDS then the code is for a 3D object and not for a ground polygon, this is often the cause of flickering. So the solution is then to change to the right code.Arno

Arno

>Regarding the flickering textures for the gate stands, I >experimented by doing a small modification in the code of >file "lel2.bgl" (which contains those scenery objects) >>Just changed the "rel" in the reference point of the >relevant "objects", to "abs", and added the E= 609 >(elevation). That is very interesting and I would be more than happy to apply this modification as well, until the final scenery is out.But, I have absolutely no clue about how you can modify the code in this file. What tools do you use, and where do you get them?Thanks,Eric.

Let me see if I can explain easily what I did....I decoded the file "lel2.bgl" with BGL-Analyze, which gives you a .sca file, that you open with any text editor such as Notepad.You will see all the scenery code organized in "objects". The tricky part is to find out which "objects" contain the offending texture file, which is "dep.bmp". I remember I found them by the end of the list, repeated a number of times (one for each gate more or less). The code of the "object" read as follows:; ----------------------------------------; Object # 253, offset: 0x56E92 size: 204 bytes (0x00CC) ;; Lat: 000449D25h Lon: 0FD763293h; ----------------------------------------Area( 5 N40:27:46.84 W003:34:10.10 22 ) IfVarRange( : 0346 3 4 ) PerspectiveCall( :L056EB4 ) ShadowCall( :L056EB6 ) Jump( : ):L056EB4 Perspective:L056EB6 RefPoint(rel :L056EE2 1.00 N40:27:46.87 W003:34:10.10 V1= 1000 V2= 250 ) RotatedCall( :L056EE4 0 0 303 ) Return:L056EE2 Return:L056EE4 Points( 0 -10 0 -20 ; 0 -10 0 20 ; 1 10 0 20 ; 2 10 0 -20 ; 3 ) Specular( 0 ) ; in FS2000 reserved? LoadBitmap( 0 L6 EF 128 128 128 dep.bmp ) TexPoly( m 0 32767 0 0 0 1 69 ; 0 1 1 152 ; 1 2 49 152 ; 2 ) TexPoly( m 0 32767 0 0 0 1 69 ; 0 2 49 152 ; 1 3 49 69 ; 2 ) ReturnEndA*************************************************************Then, in this code I changed "rel" for "abs" in the reference pointand added E =609, as follows:RefPoint(abs :L056EE2 1.00 N40:27:46.87 W003:34:10.10 E= 609 V1= 1000 V2= 250 ) RotatedCall( :L056EE4 0 0 303 ) ReturnI saved the modified sca file, and recompiled with SCASM to obtain the new bgl.And the flickering disappeared, but don't ask me why...it was just experimentation.... I did not succeed with a flatten polygon previously, but this modification worked out fine.By the way, I also removed all the "objects" representing some static planes left in the Service area of Barajas. Look for the textures used by the planes (all end in .r8)Both BGL-Analyze and SCASM can be found in the usual places, in the "must have" files, or pages of scenery design, I don't remember where I got them from now.IMPORTANT NOTE: As you see, the procedure involves modifying a copyrighted software for personal use. According to my lawyer, I can tell you how to modify the software for your personal pleasure, but I cannot give you the final result. Please do not ask me for the modified files. If you do not dare to do it, wait for the official patch from the authors.Finally, I have done this in my PC for my personal use only. I have not noticed any ill effects from the modifications, but I cannot guarantee that they do not exist, I'm not a scenery guru by no means. If you see something strange in the scenery, you can always go back to the original file.Regards

Guest LSangiovanni LIML

Hi,following suggestions in this thread i renamed the two static files and edited "lel2.bgl" as you clearly explained.Now frame rate is around 13-15 and have no more gate areas flickering.Later, taxiing to Rwy 18L i noticed another texture flickering, it's the hold short yellow line. Can you please tell me how that texture is called and which entries i have to edit to get same result as the gate areas that now don't flick anymore?Thanks for any helpcheerLuigi ;-)

Guest fourthtime

I just reinstalled this scenery and everything looks good except one of the terminals doesn't show up. The only thing that shows up is the jetways. This scenery is pretty involved and I am afraid I messed up something. Does any one have and suggestions. The terminal in question is not the newest terminal but the "other" one. I hope someone has an idea but I can live with it if there isn't a solutionThanks everyone