Sign in to follow this  
Guest gasebah

Multimonitor setup with nForce2 based boards

Guest gasebah

Hi guys,I am thinking about getting another mobo. Due to the speed and as I will stay with AMD for while I was thinking about an nForce2 based board. I have a 3 monitor setup. 2 monitors are operated by a GF4Ti4600, another one by a Nvidia TNT2 PCI card.Now in another forum I read that the owners manual of at least one nForce2 based board states that due to a limitation of the Nvidia chipset the board will not work with PCI VGA cards. Now I simply won't believe this.Anyone one out there who has such a mobo and has tried to connect a PCI video card to it? Does it work or not?Thx fr any information,Alex

Alex,CAn't help with your problem but maybe you can help with mine! I have 2 monitors attached to a Creative Ti4600 with 128 Mb DDR. When I open a new window to display for instance, the forward view on one and an outside or tower view on the other my framerate goes from 35 fps to 1 or 2 fps!! What do you think I'm doing wrong?Anyone else got any answers or ideas to help ? Thanks,KD

Guest drobson

Not much you can do about that. I don't think that there has been a Personal/Home user computer built yet that is powerful to run two exterior views with knocking it to its' knees. Multi monitors work best with the panel view on one, and things like the gps, radio stack, throttle quad, etc., on the secondary.Darrell

Guest gasebah

Really not a lot to add to Drobson's reply. I only use my two additional monitors for displaying handmade panels and external programs like FSFlightmax and FSGarmin. If you would like to have more than one outside view your only chance is to link two or more PCs together with a proggie called WideView that is a available here in the library. I have never tried that however.Alex

You can run 2 (or more) views by using 2 or more computers networked together and WideFs. FS2002 must be installed on all computers.

Thanks for replying everyone. I guess I'll have to put up with it as it is. Shame though as I have just been given a new 15 inch TFT!!What does work though, as suggested is I use the Dreamfleet 737 and put the FMC on the other monitor. There is a frame rate penality but it is quite workable especially at altitude where there is less eye candy!!Thanks again for your replies,KD

I know WidevieW allows for multiple (networked) exterior views, but I didn't realize that WideFS did too.

I can't offer Nvidia specific advice, however I recently had a problem with a PCI video card. I use a Radeon 7500 for two displays and added an Xpert 128 PCI for a thrid (second 2D) display. I kept getting lockups and/or loosing keyboard/mouse control. The solution was to reinstall the PCI card into a non-shared PCI slot (on my P4B this happended to be slot 6).Back in the day, I used a Stealth 64 as a second PCI display. For that one to work I had to set the PCI as the "boot" display in BIOS and then allow the O/S to recognize the AGP card. This was because the Stealth 64 driver wouldn't initialize with Win2000 or WinXP with the AGP was primary. Now I have AGP set as primary in BIOS and the Xpert 128 is recognized upon O/S (XP) start. For $35, the Xpert 128 makes a great display for stretched (2D) panels.

DennisYou're right, it's WidevieW that's necessary. Thanks for correcting my mistake.

Guest gasebah

Bump.Nobody out there with new AMD hardware?Sorry,Alex