Sign in to follow this  
michal

Using GPS in real jets

Guest adameke777

Is the way the GPS is used for navigation in FS2002 anywhere near the real thing ? I am especially interested in heavy jets (B777).Adam

In modern jet aircraft the waypoints for the flightplan are programmed into a flight management computer and via the LCD displays in the cockpit, the pilots can select a variety of screens to view. ILS, NAV, Route etc and the distance to view it from. For example, a pilot programs a flight from LAX to HNL and sets the LCD to flightplan mode and say 600 miles. The LCD will show the flight plan drawn out 600 miles ahead of current position and the aircraft position.The pilot can also select to view airports, navaids, waypoints etc on route (obviously making the screen more cluttered) PSS has done an excellent job at recreating this in their A32X and B777 and B747 panels. I would suggest going to their website www.phoenix-simulation.co.uk goto support and product manuals (you may have to sign up there to get access, can't remember off hand) and download the manuals and take a better look.Chris

In the "majors" I believe dispatchers create the flight plan(s) and the FO punches it into the FMS during the boarding/preflight process. Dunno if it is this way at the freight dogs or not (I would imagine so though).However the GPS is used the same way. I know for some corporate jobs (especially the race teams here in Charlotte), there flight ops uses similar GPS's to the ones we have in our new Cessna's. They just turn to the flight plan page, punch it in, and add the relevant SID/STAR/IAP's to the flight plan.

>Is the way the GPS is used for navigation in FS2002 anywhere >near the real thing ? I am especially interested in heavy >jets (B777). You should NOT use any GPS pop-up panels for navigation in FS in something like B777 if realism is your concern. Those jets do their own navigation through the FMC only. Pilots of these planes do not come aboard with additional hand-held GPS devices. GPS may be used internally by FMC but you pilot should not be concerned about it.Michael J.