Sign in to follow this  
Guest Muppet22

nvas and vatsim

I hope this works out well for the FS online community. But, since there is not much info up yet on their webpage, can anyone here explain the difference between nvas and vatsim?Sherm

If nvas is like all the other startup networks that appeared last year the differences are mainly:- longevity (vatsim has lasted for years now, none of these startups lasted more than a few weeks)- number of members (tens of thousands for vatsim, a few hundred at most for the others)- controller coverage (which is of course directly related to the above).

Guest Rob

Hi Sherm,Perhaps I can explain here ...Although NVAS will be using the same software as VATSIM (ProController & Squawkbox), the structure of the different organizations is very different. Although we are not willing to disclose too much information about the future at this stage, we can say that we will have Flight Plan Pre-Filing and Clearance system, and that our database and logging system updates INSTANTANEOUSLY.Our fully automated ASP scripted administration control panel allows for region/division transfer and status upgrades instantaneously. Our examination system is also one of a kind ... which we hope many of you will find very useful when it comes to theory examination time.We are very honored to have the staff we do in our Administration and across the Divisions. These include professional server administrators, IT professionals and real-world ATC personnel. To find out more, drop by on Friday evening. :)Robert Jubb,PRE, NVAS.netpre@nvas.net

thanks,Rob, for the info. I look forward to flying with nvas and vatsim and wish you well. I suspect that I and many other flyers are more concerned about finding where the controllers are and not which network is involved. Let the politics of organization concern others...Sherm

Guest Rob

Thank you Sherm ... your support means a lot.

You can add all the goodies you want, it still won't work. Why dilute an already slim market? You all should be working with VATSIM to enhance that one instead of trying to take members away. What good does having less pilots/ATC on one network so you can go start another one do? Pilots/ATC want alot of each other for a better experience and when people try to start another network, it just puts all of us further behind. Why have say 3 ARTCC's open on VATSIM and say two on your network when we could have had 5 open on VATSIM for instance? Would have made for a better experience. Sorry but having more than even one network is not good but thanks for taking more members and potential members away from the established VATSIM for your upstart network.

Eric 

actually, I think a little competition is always a good thing. If nothing else, it may raise the profile of online controlled flying for those who have never tried it. I happen to think vatsim is a great service, though I never had any problems with satco. But, I don't get involved in the politics. I just want a place to fly with a controller who will understand that I may not have any charts, or understand all of the professional procedures...as cheryl crowe puts it, "All I wanna do is have some fun!"...:-)Shermbtw, has anyone ever noticed that just as you are getting ready for an approach and landing, your wife, or signigifcant other, always calls from the kitchen that it's time for dinner? :-)

Guest Muppet22

Well, Some of the material on the NVAS website looks uncannily similar to the some of the material on the IVAO website. I seem to remember the last time round for NVAS they had similar problems with VATSIM.Tom Evans

tom, your politics and protest presentation is brilliant. I did not expect to moved in quite the way I was. I know we have to get on with our lives, but I hope America never loses The Rage against those who committed this evil deed, and against those who support, harbor, and praise them. Sherm

Guest Muppet22

Hi ShermJust to make it clear it's not my work! But I do agree it is very moving. Sad that someone had to create it in the first place mind you, but still does a good job of bringing home the harsh realities of that day and gives very valid justification for any future US involvment in the 'war against terrorism'.All that and I'm British (unfortunately).