Sign in to follow this  
paulnd

texture artifacts 7800GT

Hi,I have a 7800GT card and am experiencing strange yellow flashes in cloud and ground textures. This usually occurs in distant scenery.I've tried various Nvidia drivers (currently 81.84 beta) and settings (AA, AF & MM's) without success.I'm using ASV's 128x128 cloud textures.Has anyone else experienced this? Any one have a solution or ideas that I can try?regardsPaulspecs :AMD 3800+gigabyte K8N-SLI mobo1GB RAMCreative X-Fi Fatal1ty FPSXFX GF7800GT

Paul Dumke

Guest allcott

COuld be overheating. Check the fan is properly attached and that there's no dust clogging up the works, then run with the case opened and a household fan blowing across the card and mobo. If that cures the artifacts then you need to improve the cooling. It is possible the new drivers are causing the card to run hotter.Also, did you remove all traces of previous drivers with Driver Cleaner before switching from the 7x.xx to the 8x.xx series drivers- very important to do that.Allcott

Guest aihuntersandgatherer

Hi Paul, I suggest you check the GPU temperature and make sure it's at a reasonable level (somewhere under 70 degrees Celsius under load). You can get your cards temp reading from a tab in the driver setting dialogues, or by using the NVIDIA monitoring software (I'm not sure if that works if you have a non NVIDIA chipset though, but it looks like you might have one on your K8N).If the temps are higher then say around 70 degrees (load) Celsius you might want to check the heat sink and make sure the fan is spinning, the heat sink makes good contact with the card and the case airflow is sufficient. Also ensure that the extra power cable is plugged in. If all fails you might want to check that there is enough thermal grease on the GPU and the RAM. People often report in forums that their new card had an improperly installed heat sink.In any case: don't ignore the issue as you might damage the card if it overheats for an extended period. Last resort would be to claim the warranty and ask for a replacement from the manufacturer.Good luck and I hope this was of any help,Regards,Alex

Hi,Thanks for your suggestions. I've check temps and the GPU doesn't exceed 61 Celsius and CPU is under 39 Celsius (under load with the yellow flashes).Perhaps artifacts is the wrong description, the yellow flashes seem to be within the textures as they are limited to the shape of the cloud or ground texture.This is a new system and I've had this problem right from the beginning with the first driver that was installed.regardsPaul

Paul Dumke