Sign in to follow this  

**Important** I advise to STOP Using Ad-Aware

Hi All,Many of you have taken my advice to use Ad-Aware Software to remove spyware. I am now rescinding my advice for the time being. They have admitted that their engine no longer can be kept current of the latest mutations.(Last Ad-Aware Ref File Update 9/24/2002)I am recommending Spybot Search and Destroy. (FREEWARE)Available Here:http://security.kolla.de/Once Ad-Aware comes out with a newer version, I'll check it out and advise, so until then, I suggest you remove it for the time being and switch over to Spybot Search and Destroy.If you have it, do this.1) Run Ad-Aware2) Get Spybot S&D3) Tell me how many new instances Spybot picked up that LavaSoft did not.Story Link:http://www.spywareinfo.com/newsletter/arch...02/12252002.phpHope This Helps,JoePS- read LavaSoft's Response Here:http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?act=ST&f=1&t=1868Here is my new sig...You Like it? :-lol :-lol.http://home.attbi.com/~sonar5/sig1.jpg.Here are Picture Galleries of My Trip out west in 2002..Gallery #1 Pima Air & Space Museum + AMARC (Boneyard) at Davis Monthan AFB, Tucson, Arizona. (over 240 Pictures)http://www.pbase.com/sonar5/pimaamarc

CryptoSonar on Twitch & YouTube. 

Guest Jaaky

Hmmm on the Spybot page it says that it removes C-DILLA.That, I'm afraid, would disable the CD checking of the Flight deck Companion (!!!).

Guest sbdwag

I have adaware and NAV both with the latest definitions on my dialup computer that is my internet server to several other computers in my house and also is my second FS computer using widefs for Radar Contact 3, activesky, ect.I had a backdoor trojan virus on this Windows 2000 system that loaded adobea.exe at startup and was constantly sending a small amount of data from my system. Neither NAV or Adaware detected it. It created a directory in my Windows root directory call hf. I still dont know If I am rid of it. I deleted the hf directory and installed Norton Firewall and it hasnt come back but from what I have read it modifys your registry and will attempt to reinstall itself. The way I discovered is when I booted the computer I got a error saying Windows is attempting to connect to "bleck123nailed.org" and tried to dial my modem automatically.Im really dissapointed with both softwares and am looking for an alternative myself.Dennis

Guest WorkingStiff

I don't think that either Norton Anti-virus or Ad-Aware should be relied on for protection against trojans.Despite what the marketing blurbs may scream, just look at the name of the software; "Norton Anti-virus." It's principal purpose is to detect and remove viruses (virii). NAV occassionally detects some trojans but it also misidentifies them; making their removal that more difficult.Many times you'll get warnings that NAV has detected and removed a trojan; but then after rebooting you'll get the same warning again. If the trojan were actually removed you shouldn't be getting repeated warnings.Ad-aware also is not designed for trojans; but rather to detect spyware; there is a difference between trojans and spyware also trojans can also be used to spy.For trojans you need specialized anti-trojan software such as:Trojan Defense Suite from http://tds.diamondcs.com.au/BOClean available from http://www.nsclean.com/boclean.htmlThere are others packages such as Tauscan and The Cleaner; but TDS and BOClean are superior to all the others.

Guest JeanLuc_

Hi,actually this thread makes me wonder what is the benefit of anti-adware programs compared to a firewall? For example, Norton Personal Firewall has an option to block any unwanted communication and prompt the user each time for selecting the action to take (block/allow/create rule). This works with incoming and outgoing communications. As such, if you got infested with a Trojan, or an adware program, you get immediatly informed about the communication attempt, could block it, then eradicate it or at least, set a permanent rule to BLOCK. Any one with both experience to help me better understand?Thanks.

Joe:Thank you for informing us about SpyBot. I did what you asked, and Ad-Aware reported no spyware, then ran SpyBot and found 20 or 30 Spyware programs that had gone previously without detection! All were removed without incident or consequence.The software is safe in that it describes the offending programs in terms of what is spyware and what is being used to run your system, so as long as you do not skip studying the analyzed files a little, it's difficult to remove something you shouldn't. I find this software extremely helpful. And best of all, in the true spirit that is flight simming, its freeware! Thanks Joe, Alex ChristoffN562ZMinneapolis, MNThermobulb@aol.com

PowerSpec G426 PC running Windows 11 Pro 64-bit OS, Intel Core i7-6700K processor @3.5GHz, ASUS GeForce RTX 4070 12GB Dual Graphics Card, ASUS TUF Z590-Plus Gaming motherboard, Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD, Samsung 750 EVO 500GB SSD, Acer Predator X34 34" curved monitor (external view), RealSim Gear G-1000 avionics hardware, Slavix, Stay Level Custom Metal Panel, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Redbird Alloy THI, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.

I have been using Spybot for several months now...it has never tried to remove C-Dilla as far as I know. I use FDC and have no issues.Regards,Chris

Guest BrianC

I found that most of what SpyBot reports that AdAware does not are usage history items that could be exploited by spyware, rather than spyware itself.I got 20-30 reports, but only a couple were cookies that AdAware did not detect and one was an add server app for WeatherBug (which doesn't run for me anyway as I paid for the no-ads version). The rest were just things like IE URL histories and application recently-opened-file lists. I find such histories useful and time-saving, so I do not choose to delete them.

Guest gasebah

Thx a lot for the hint. I ran Spybot and found a lot of crazy stuff that I already had deleted manually but still resided in the registry and stuff. The only difference to ad-aware is that you really have to study a bit what you are deleting. But if you wanna be save you can still make a backup of the registry or even make a system restore point. Thx again for the hint.Very nice program.Alex

VERY interesting reading.I have a few security programs installed, virus, firewall, internet security, and a spyware removal program (by Ontrack).I've tried to d/l this new Spybot to see if it finds any new files, seeing as my security programs quite often prompt when there has been unauthorised access to my pc ie. backdoor trojans etc.Can someone please supply me with a DIRECT link to this file for d/l because i've been to their d/l pg. and there doesn't seem to be anything related to a file.CheersWill

Guest Edam

Will,For some reason, I am getting the same thing...no link to download it all of a sudden. I have it and will send it to you if possible.Oops! Sorry. I didn't see a way to attach a file.