Sign in to follow this  
Chris Willis

Best Sound Card? Audigy 2 Platnum?

Guest ScottPilot

Howdy!I am thinking about upgrading my sound card. I currently use the Creative Labs X-Gamer 5.1 Live card. This is a good card, except I get some stuttering in MSFS when using this sound card (even with the acceleration set to BASIC).I am really considering the new Audigy 2 Platinum due to many of it's features. Are any of you fine simmers using an Audigy card? If so, how's the performance as related to MSFS?Anyone using a different card, feel free to give your input on that one also!Thanks!Scott :-)My current system:PIII 1GHZ with 512MB SDRAM, 120GB Hard diskGeforce 4 MX440 64MB, Dual 17" MonitorsNvidia Driver Version 4109Windows XP ProCreative Labs Sound Blaster Live! X-Gamer 5.1MSFS 2K2 ProCH Products Yoke and Rudders (USB)

Have you looked at the Hercules line of cards? I'm in the process of building a new system and I will not be using a Creative Labs card unless they fix the WinXP drivers. I have to turn off hardware acceleration in some games or I get horible static. It does not do this under WinME. I've heard some people having the same problems with the Audigy drivers. Some don't, but I'm not taking the chance.Check out the Hercules DigiFire 7.1 Sound Card.I have exactly the same system except with a Geforce 2 GTS.

Guest ScottPilot

I will check out the Hercules also!Thanks!Scott :-)******* After doing a little research online***************OK, I just went online and did some research on the Hercules Digifire 7.1 card and it look pretty enticing. Some of the reviews that I read stated that there were NO game stutters in many of the games that were tested with these cards. I didn't see anything about the performance with MSFS 2K2 Pro however.Also, the 7.1 speaker setup possibilities along with the firewire ports looked pretty enticing!For $80, this card looks like it is worth trying. Scott :-)

Guest ScottPilot

OK, I picked up the Hercules Digifire 7.1 card today installed it, and wow - No more stutters! Smooth Smooth Smooth. My FPS haven't changed but the sim is smoothed out.I like Creative Labs, but the drivers just cause too much stuttering in MSFS.Definately worth the $80 for the Digifire 7.1 Card.Thanks!Scott :-)

I'm running the Audigy 2 card with no stuttering issues at all.It's a lot better than their standard cards.Rick

Hi, I did not get any sound stuttering issues, with the Sound blaster 5.1 dolby digital.Audigy 2 is an PRO card, full 24bit 96khz recording and playback, for music Film Studio, Music studio Pro Recording quality Standard. Unlimited sound fonts depend on your Pc RAM up to 1024 meg. Including many great advanced feature.ThanksChris Willis[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFs

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

I will put in another good word for the Hercules Digifire 7.1. I was looking at the sb audigy 2, but I have never been a big fan of creative and their drivers. Also, the Aud2 didn't have a gameport connection so that ruled it out completely for me. I only made one short flight, but everything was smooth and no static in the speakers. My old sb live was giving me major static in FS2002.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

Guest drobson

The Audigy does have the gameport connection, although it does occupy one additional slot location.It's been working great for me.Darrell

The audigy doesn't record at 24bit, only playback. Its suppose to be good for games and listening to music if you dont have the budget for more expensive cards.After having many problems with my sb live card on my dual machine, I opted to go with a hercules xp gamer. works great, and it supports SMP machines.I still use my sb live in my game rig without problems.

Hi, The Audigy I record at 16 bit, playback 24 bitsThe Audigy II record and playback at 24 bits, 96khz, 24-bit ADVANCED HD DVD-AudioGo here for the fact details:http://www.soundblaster.com/products/audigy2/compare.aspAudigy II is more for the Musicians recording. For the game, you can have the audigy I or sound blaster 5.1.ThanksChris Willis[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFs

Kind Regards
Chris Willis