Sign in to follow this  
Guest Andy_YXU

Repainting Tutorial?

Guest Andy_YXU

Are there any good tutorials for AIrcraft repaining... basic repaining i understand but I tried for example repaint interior of MelJet777 so I converted it to 32bit (just my guess) saved it opened with PaintShopPro.. changed what I wanted saved opened it with Imagetool and converted to DXT3 what it was originally, saved it and... BLACK INTERIOR sucks.. comparing to original I lost ALPHA CHANEL (whatever that is and how to reapply it back) etc etc.. any one knows of a good site or well written tutorial on this?ThanksAndy

Guest eko

Any image that has an alpha channel (DXT3), you need to convert it to 32 bit with image tool and save it as a TARGA (.tga) file. Make changes to it with your editor and save it again as a 32 bit targa file. Then, open it again with image tool and convert it back to DXT3. Targa files preserve the alpha layer.I am assuming you saved it as a 32 bit BMP, and that will delete your alpha layer, as BMP's do not support alpha.Also, IIRC, only Photoshop preserves the alpha channel as a seperate layer mask when you open and save the targa file, so you don't have to do anything special when you open it up in photoshop. I think that with Paint Shop Pro, the process is much more complicated. i.e. you have to export the alpha to a file, then reimport it back into the targa file, etc. etc.I don't have paint shop pro, so i am only going on what I have seen in tutorials.

Guest Andy_YXU

Thanks guys I will look through them so far I found from one of the tutorials about DXTBMP program that can keep the ALPHA chanel while allows me to send the BMP over to PaintShopPro and I can do whatever I need to there and then DXTBMP will fix it up for me so it is all fine. Lots to learn last aircraft I painted was for FS98 :-), hm maybe one for FS2000, but still lot's have changed since.ThanksAndy