Sign in to follow this  
Nickdj

What processor to get for new computer AMD or Intel?

Hey guys,im getting a new computer and my friend (who works at computer place) is putting together a new computer...very fast ehehNow i need to know what is the best processor...AMD or Intel? And which is the fastest for FS (and also maybe then for FS10)This is what i have now:P4 3.0ghz 2MB 64bit (intel)80gig ram (7200rpm)GeForce 7800 GT 256MB DDR32GB DDR/400i can bascially get any processor so let me know what is the best!cheersNick

Guest SoarPics

For FS9 see this.Anyone recommending hardware upgrades for FSX at this early date is either a fool, looking to see someone else spend their hard earned money, or both.Greg

I would really pick a X2. No matter if FS X would have optimizations for dual core or not they still perform well and most say it does feel faster. You can run several apps and not getting nearly the same performance hit.Surely I can imagine that the old A64 line often is faster and you can certainly get them cheaper but with an X2 you don

What you have right now (P4 3.0) with 2 gig ram and a 7800GT is pretty good to begin with. If I had what you have, I am not so sure I would be quick to upgrade, particularly if you are wanting to build an FS rig.It might be a better idea to wait until we have a clearer understanding of what's involved with FSX and DX10 hardware-wise.Now, if you had a slower P4 I would not be advising you to wait.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

This is probably going to be the final package:Bitsol ATX MidiTower met 400Watt VoedingASRock S939 939DUAL-SATA2 AMD SATA RAIDAMD Athlon 64 4000+ Socket 939 1MB San Diego + CoolerMaxtor SATA DiamondMax10 120GB 7200rpm 8MBSamsung 3.5 inch Floppy Drive Linksys 54Mbps WMP54G Wireless PCI card2 x DIMM 1024 Mb DDR/400 PC-3200Lite-On DVD ROM 16x48xLite-On CD-RW 52x32x52xGeForce 7800GT 256MB DDR3Mtek Cordless Keyboard Optical Mouse DesktopVery good stuff :)cheersNick

What did you give for the 4000+? People getting Dual cores is starting to sell out their FX 55-57:s now so you may get a good deal on such a CPU nowadays :)

we looked into the FX55 but i would need to pay 500euros more for that...and thats a bit too much for me!cheersNick

That's pretty close to what I'm building, except I went with a 3700+ because I don't want to spend a whole lot on a PC right now. 4000+ is 40% higher than 3700+ in price!! All that for 200 mhz?? No way. I figure dual-core will either gimmick-out or take off in the next year or two, at which time I can really do it up right. Here's what I am building right now:Cooler Master Praetorian (aluminum) casePC Power&Cooling 510 SLI p/sAMD 3700+ San Diego cpuASUS A8N-E motherboardeVGA 7800GT CO 256 mb vid card (already have)2 gb (2x1gb) Corsair TWINX pack ram (its CAS3, but NOT ValueSelect)Western Digital Cav SATA2 250 gb (already have)NEC metallic bezel DVD/CD (had to go with metallic bezel (see case))etc. etc.But NO floppy! haha! I have one laying around I could stick in there, but I won't unless I have to.I figure with a solid power supply, etc., I can always go dual-core in 1.5-2 years and dual-core will be cheap by then. I still have 2 PC Power & Cooling power supplies and one of them (an ATX Silencer) is 8 years old, still going strong.The rig above will zip in FSX or I'll eat my shorts.

Rhett

>dual core will definiatly not gimmick out that

Rhett