Sign in to follow this  
Djang0

1.5GB to 3GM RAM - is it worth it?

Q1a) I'm considering going from 1.5GB to 3GB of DDR400 (PC3200) RAM (please see my sys spec below). Currently I have 4 slots 2X256 and 2X512. I was going to get Crucial standard memory which I already have, rather than something like e.g. Ballistix. Is it worth getting rid of the 2X256 for 2X1GB?If I do upgrade:Q2a) With respect to fs9, where am I likely to see improvements with more memory? Might I see better FPS when using complex airliner addon's with FMC's etc?Q2b) With 1.5GB of RAM I currently set my paging file to min = 500MB and max = 800MB as I have never seen a paging file size indicated by Windows Task manager greater than 800MB when using a complex addon like PMDG737 + lots of AI traffic + flying low over large city + VC view active in daytime + FMC active. With 3GB RAM what paging file size would people recommend?Q2b) If I do upgrade: My banks of RAM slots are labelled something like A1 & A2 and B1 & B2. I understand that the memory is best added in matching pairs, but is there any theoretical advantage to adding the larger modules to, say bank A etc, or is the bank labeling arbitrary (i.e. labeling varies between boards or is not relevant)?

Regards, Django EGLL.

| BMS | DCS OB | A-10C II | AV-8B | F-16C | F/A-18C | FC3 | Persian Gulf | Supercarrier | Tacview | XP11 | FF A320 | FF 757 |

| I7-9700K + NH-D15 | RTX3080Ti 12GB | DDR4-3200 16GB | Aorus Z390 Ultra | 2X Evo 860 1TB | 850W | Torrent Case |

| Warthog HOTAS + CH Pedals | 32" TV 1080p 60Hz | TrackIR5 |

Guest gasebah

I have 2GB of ram which most would consider total overkill. As I am running a lot of addons I saw considerable improvement going form 1 GB to 2 GB. But 1.5 to 3? Frankly I cannot imagine a FS9 setup that would make use of so much ram. Even if you are running a myriad of add-ons and AI traffic and lordknowswhat. If you really want to improve memory bandwidth you should consider buying some top class ram (Corsair or Teamgroup e.g.) that allows you to cranck up the FSB and lower the timings.A

>If you really want to improve memory bandwidth>you should consider buying some top class ram (Corsair or>Teamgroup e.g.) that allows you to cranck up the FSB and lower>the timings.But would it make sense to get top quality RAM if my motherboard is entry level and only accepts up to PC3200?Is the performance benefit of high quality RAM lost if you mix it with normal RAM? What freeware programs could I use to tweek my motherboard?

Regards, Django EGLL.

| BMS | DCS OB | A-10C II | AV-8B | F-16C | F/A-18C | FC3 | Persian Gulf | Supercarrier | Tacview | XP11 | FF A320 | FF 757 |

| I7-9700K + NH-D15 | RTX3080Ti 12GB | DDR4-3200 16GB | Aorus Z390 Ultra | 2X Evo 860 1TB | 850W | Torrent Case |

Yes never buy expensive RAM unless you are serious with overclocking :).Ballistics I wouldn

Guest gasebah

>But would it make sense to get top quality RAM if my>motherboard is entry level and only accepts up to PC3200?Yes it can make sense. Basically there is no other RAM as PC3200 for most boards. The other specifications only mean that the RAM stick can take a higher FSB. So in order to take advantage you would have to overclock your FSB and your timings in the BIOS. I do not want to get into it, as there are a lot of websites which perfectly explain the coherences. >>Is the performance benefit of high quality RAM lost if you mix>it with normal RAM? As P

>I would just keep 1,5 gigabyte. It

Regards, Django EGLL.

But wait until FSX is out. Test it and if you feel like you would benefit from more RAM then get it. It won