Sign in to follow this  
Djang0

FS9 crashes going from window to full screen mode

Perhaps someone here can help me. I'll try to give as much detail as I can.Recently, all of a sudden, FS9 began crashing when either:I tried to go from window mode to full screen (via Alt+Return);Just resizing the FS window in window mode.It does not crash every time I try to switch and I can go from full screen to window (via Alt+Return) or going from full screen to desktop (via keyboard Windows Start Menu key) ok.A crash will occur soomething similar to this: I press Alt+Return or click to resize the FS window - the picture freezes, though sometimes the sounds continue normally - the mouse pointer changes to an hour glass and flashes repeatedly very quickly - If I press Alt+Return again the FS9 window may go black - only FS9 crashes, I can open other programs while FS9 is locked.A crash can occur when:Using older NVIDIA drivers;Disabling my PCIe card and using my mother boards on board graphics memory;Flying a default plane;Flying a simple addon plane;Flying a complex addon plane;In any view mode, including VC and 2D;In any phase of a flight or in a cold and dark cockpit;Whether or not AISmooth is running along side FS9;Whether or not Fs9 is patched to v9.1;Whether or not FS9 sound is enabled.I have checked:My system for viruses and spyware;Checked my hard disk for errors;Defragmented my hard drive;Completely reinstalled FS9 and every FS software (tried several times).That my RAM is working ok;My keyboard keys are not getting stuck - I tried another keyboard.The next step is a Windows reinstall :-eek but I want to avoid this. The only epoch that might be relevant is that I tried using multiple fs9.exe .cfg files. I made copies of the fs9.exe and .cfg files and renamed them to, say fs9addon.exe and fs9addon.cfg. The .exe file went to the FS9 root folder. This allowed me to have a customised .cfg file with lower visual setings for addon planes rather rather than adjusting settings between different planes. The crashes had not occured before I tried this, but did not start as soon as I tried it. However I am not using multiple files now and I have since re-installed FS9 (insuring all old config files were deleted) and FS9 still crashes.Can anyone ***HELP!!!***, has anyone had similar problems?:-violin

Regards, Django EGLL.

| BMS | DCS OB | A-10C II | AV-8B | F-16C | F/A-18C | FC3 | Persian Gulf | Supercarrier | Tacview | XP11 | FF A320 | FF 757 |

| I7-9700K + NH-D15 | RTX3080Ti 12GB | DDR4-3200 16GB | Aorus Z390 Ultra | 2X Evo 860 1TB | 850W | Torrent Case |

| Warthog HOTAS + CH Pedals | 32" TV 1080p 60Hz | TrackIR5 |

I think that the full screen can give crashes with some of the addons.I avoid it as ####. And I also work with undocked panels and several screens. Again full screen doesn't allow it.If I am wrong I hope somebody will tell me.

Roger

See my specs in my profile

Hello,Up to now I never had crashes despite the fact that I have 2 video cards and 3 monitors AND I use the full screen.

Emile EBBR Z590 Aorus Elite, i9-11900K 3.5Ghz Nvidia RTX 3060, 16 GB Mem, SSD 1Tera + other HDDs, Dual Boot . Win11 Pro X64

Thank you Emile.I know I already had some problems with full screen but I do not remember what and when (senior moment !).So I just stick with windowed screens stretched to their limits.If I remember correctly you live South of Brussels ?I am in Overijse (but French speaking)

Roger

>>I know I already had some problems with full screen... I just stick>with windowed screens stretched to their limits.>But if you never use full screen then you are wasting many, if not most, of the advanced 3D capabilities of your graphics card? What are your system specs?By the way everyone, since I started this thread I haven't had a crash (yet)! I tried re-starting my PC with Windows managing the page file, and then manually set my page file again. But I'm still interested in any suggestions people may have as to the cause of this behaviour.

Regards, Django EGLL.

| BMS | DCS OB | A-10C II | AV-8B | F-16C | F/A-18C | FC3 | Persian Gulf | Supercarrier | Tacview | XP11 | FF A320 | FF 757 |

| I7-9700K + NH-D15 | RTX3080Ti 12GB | DDR4-3200 16GB | Aorus Z390 Ultra | 2X Evo 860 1TB | 850W | Torrent Case |

Oh oh!Am I learning something new for me ? Which litterature and where can I learn more about this ?I tried a quick test with full screen and un/docking panels.If I undock before going to full screen and putting the panels in another screen I will find them (but somewhat modified) on the secondary screen after switching to full screen. When I return to non full screen I will find those panels back on the main screen without asking anything.I still need to check but somewhere in my brain (but where ?) I believe that full screen is incompatible with some addon(s). ASV ? RC4 ? Flight Keeper ? I really need to check this completely. I never had a good memory but with age increasing the memory is decreasing.

Roger

Roger, whats your system spec? I'm not a graphics card expert, but I understand that to utilise all of your graphics cards driver features you need to be in full screen mode (i.e. FS not running a desktop window). It makes no difference if you undock subpanels or use multiple monitors (this wpuld require more system resoyrces of course) as long as they are viewed in full screen mode.You should be able to run any FS addon aircraft in Full screen mode. What sort of problems have you had?

Regards, Django EGLL.

Django,I must check that. But at the moment I have a more serious problem with a CTD.I will try to come back to this thread next week.Anyhow I didn't mind flying in non full screen mode. But if the 3 D is better in full screen then I must check it out.

Roger

Hello,I live in Schaerbeek at the "border" of Evere.Je suis

Emile EBBR Z590 Aorus Elite, i9-11900K 3.5Ghz Nvidia RTX 3060, 16 GB Mem, SSD 1Tera + other HDDs, Dual Boot . Win11 Pro X64

Hello,I had troubles with FSNav and running in full screen with my previous configuration : 2 monitors attached to my TI4600. Now that I run 2 video cards and 3 monitors I have NO more problems with FSNav.But why? I do not know.

>I'm not a graphics card>expert, but I understand that to utilise all of your graphics>cards driver features you need to be in full screen mode (i.e.>FS not running a desktop window).Hi - I had this discussion a few weeks ago with a few MSVP people. I believed the same as you state above. However, they emphatically stated that other than the removal of the titlebar, the 3D acceleration is the same in Full screen or Windowed. Considering that at least one of them is VERY sharp in graphics, I must believe what they said. Just a FYI - not intending to start an argument.Between you and me, I *still* think full screen looks better :)VicVisit the Virtual Pilot's Centerwww.flightadventures.comhttp://sales.hifisim.com/pub-download/asv6-banner-proud.jpghttp://www.jdtllc.com/images/rcv4bannersupporter.jpg

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I've had this happen too on countless occassions. System specs:Biostar M7NCD nforce2 driver 2.7.5.0AMD 2400+1 gig RAMMSI ATI 9800 XT driver 6.14.10.6525Win XP Pro SP2Dx 9.0c

10700k / Gigabyte 3060

#### it's happening again! I thought that I had cured the problem by switching back to Windows controlled Page File size, restating Windows, then setting my manual page file again.This time I did have a web browser running at the same time. I went from full screen to window mode using the FS9 View menue. When I used the menu to go back the mouse started flickering but the sound is running normaly when I click on FS9 on the taskbar. When I pressed the alt key to try and use the keyboard command the screen looked as below:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/140953.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/140955.jpg

Regards, Django EGLL.

Hi Django,Your screen images remind me of what I and others had to put up with shortly after FS9 was released. It was a driver related problem and ultimately was fixed following a few driver updates and much protesting and pleas from the community.I suggest you try experimenting with different driver sets. Have you considered trying one of Omega's offerings. They are very good and generally very stable for both Nvidia and ATI GPUs.http://www.omegadrivers.net/Please don't rush to update without first doing your homework. In particular, it is essential you take time to read all the advice given by Omega himself.Cheers,MikeEdit: It might be worth trying the effect of reinstalling DirectX 9.0c before doing anything else.P4 2.4GHz (400FSB), 1Gig PC2100 DDR Crucial, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB (Omega 3.8.205 (6.01) / Catalyst 6.1), SB Audigy (5.12.0001.0443), Hyundai ImageQuest Q17 17" TFT LCD 20ms Monitor (1280x1024x32), Gigabyte GA-8IRXP MoBo, Hitachi Deskstar 7K250 (160GB) + IBM Deskstar 120GXP UDMA100 (40 GB), Ultra-Quiet PSU 400W, Logitech MX1000 Laser Mouse, WinXP Home (SP2), DirectX 9.0c, AGP Aperture = 128MB