Sign in to follow this  

WOW! B52's at local airport!

I had an interesting experience this afternoon. I live in the Shreveport/Bossier City, La area which is home to Barksdale AFB so seeing B52s flying around is really no big deal. However as I was runining some errands I saw a B52 that looked like it was on final to Shreveport Regional KSHV. Main runway 14/32 is only 8,351 feet long. Intrigued, I drove over to the airport. We still have an area at the end of Rwy 14 where you can park and plane watch. There were two B52s flying patterns and approaches to runway 32. They were not doing touch and gos but were flying to about 100 ft and then climbing out. When they went over us they were still no more than 150 to 200 feet up. I didn't know those things could turn so tight. Quite a sight. Wish I'd had my camera with me!A Cessna 182 landed inbetween two of them. I didn't have my scanner with me so I couldn't hear but can imagine something like this:Cessna: Cessna xyz 5 miles out for VFR to runway 32.Tower: Cessna xyz cleared to land. Follow the B52 on short final.What a kick!

Guest B52Drivr

Hello All,Yes, what a kick. It always amazes me when non military people who have never been up close to a 'Buff' say, my God, it was huge, or I couldn't believe how much those engines shrieked, or, wow, he laid it over on its side and I thought it was going to fall out of the sky!The 52 is huge, noisy, and can do things in the air that you would think were impossible for such a large aircraft. I guess that is why it is still flying after all these years.I can tell you this, Boeing did it right the first time -- its strong, fast and will take a terrible beating when necessary -- and the old girl will try to bring her aircrew back home, safely every time. As for pilots, I have found that most who have flown them either love them dearly or hate them with a passion, and even the ones who hate them, have a deep found afection for the aircraft and it's capabilities -- and yes, it does feel strange to see the old gal still flying after all these years -- for me the love affair never ends.Clayton T. DopkeMajor, USAF (retired)(former B52 Aircraft Commander)"Drac"B52Drivr@aol.com

hehe, One of those happened to be my Aircraft! Barksdale was a little busy today with all the training so they split it up a bit for the new students, and a few did their pattern work over at Shreveport regional. They are truely amazing aircraft, everyday I am more and more impressed with boeings flying feat of engineering. Clay is absolutly right, its really a love affair for those of us who have experienced this amazing aircraft. Glad you enjoyed the show!-Jason Peters B-52H Crew Chief USAF B52Dawg@sport.rr.com

Guest Coneman

They do have their limits though. We had one go in at Fairchild a few years ago after the pilot tried to do some low level hot dogging during an airshow practice. He had it cranked into a 90 degree bank, and the thing just fell out of the sky. But it wasn't the airplane's fault.Todd

Guest B52Drivr

Jason,I should have known . . .. Everyone should know that Jason is perhaps one of the finest crew chief's a pilot could wish for . . .and he just recently got a promotion . . .Go DAWG!!!And Todd, back in my time the only time we laid one of them on the side at 90 degrees is when we were trying to jink out of the way of a launched SAM . . . when all else failed, lay the old girl on her side and let her fall out of the air . . .and hope the SAM couldn't re configure fast enough. And trust me, they do fall quick . . .as a 52 has a glide ratio of a rock . . .a large one at that!Best to all,Clay

Jason, I sure did enjoy the show! Feel free to repeat it at any time! Even though I grew up here and have seen them up close and flying quite often I'm always impressed. My dad was a pilot in WWII and an air traffic controller who worked in the RAPCON at Barksdale so I had occasion to get closer to one than most folks do.I've never seen one do that tight a pattern though!

7 years Tower at Beale. SR-71, U-2. Never lost that feeling of awe. Two incredible aircraft.4 years RAPCON at Minot. BUFF's galore. Same feeling! :)bt

Haha, Thanks for the compliment Clay! Yeah someone lost their mind promoting me huh? I'm dangerous now hehe :-bat All I know is my arm is killing me from my new stripe being 'tacked' on.. :-zhelp -Jason Peters B-52H Crew Chief USAF B52Dawg@sport.rr.com

Guest tallpilot

The U-2, now there's a remarkable airplane. I was a crew chief on the U bird in SAC back in 1957 and 1958 at Laughlin AFB, Texas. 4028th Strategic Weather (yah) Reconnaissance Squadron. Spent some time out at area 51 (the ranch) with the bird also Alaska and Buenos Aires.Ed Weber a.k.a tallpilotRetired NWA Pilot

I began flying a Jet Commander in 1970, was very lucky to have a captain that was a retired Maj Buff AC. They must have a very good training program by my experience with Maj. Bill Giles.When he got typed in the JC back in Oke City he came home that evening and told his wife that he made captain. She said, "But Bill, you retired as a Major". Ha........Didn't know that a type rated civvy pilot is considered a captain...........Bill taught me real crew coordination and got me ready for my type ride. As far as I am concerned he was one of the best.Wish I knew where he was located now...If anyone knows how about putting on the forum here?Regarding the Fairchild disaster that pilot was a real doozy, don't know how he ever got by but from what I read his boss was flying with him that day because no one else thought he was safe enough to fly with. He sure proved it to them.I guess one is bound to fall thru the cracks once in awhile but really shouldn't in that kind of business.

The B-52 is living proof that if you put big enough engines on a house, you can make if fly!