Sign in to follow this  

From a 500 Celery to a 1.4 Celery....

Hello all!Happy New Year!Haven't been posting for a while, but have been here in lurk @ enjoy mode.Now reverted back to 'yack' mode, lolNow the question.... Can anyone PLEASE tell me what frame rates I might expect from FS2002 when going from a 500 mhz Celeron to a 1.4 Ghz Celeron?Right now...I crawl along at 3-15 FPS depending on at taxi or at FL's of 250 and higher. Any comments would be greatly appreciated!!!!Cheers!Mitch R.P.S. Am running on an ABIT BM6 mobo...and am getting the PowerLeap adapter. Also when using X-plane 5.66, I get rates that sustain around 16-50 FPS range.

Guest ront1

Have you tried overclocking that processor? I have a Celery II 550 that has been overclocked to 850 for at least a couple of years now.Ron

Hi Mitch,How's the bike?I remember you well from the days of the Capt'n et al. These were fun times and I think most of us secretely enjoyed the spirited humour that flashed back and forth. Sadly, in the end, their misbehaviour got them kicked off the Avsim forums.In answer to your query, all I can say is I used to run a PIII 800 with a GF2 GTS 32MB GPU and in most instances FS2002 ran pretty well, despite the arguments I had with the good Capt'n S. You just have to be prepared to be less ambitious with the sliders and steer clear of things like FSAA and Anisotropic filtering. I had my Target frame rate set at 18fps and this was maintained except in areas of dense 3rd Party Scenery while on the ground or while using highly detailed non-Gmax a/c.I think you will be quite pleased with the performance boost provided by the 1.4 Celeron and I think it likely you will rarely see frame rates drop much below 10-15fps using stock scenery and a/c. Most of the time frame rates will be significantly higher once you are up in the air.I have a P4 2.2 now with a 3D Blaster4 Ti4400 and, as you can imagine, am well happy :) However, despite this, I still prefer to run without FSAA and instead use a screen resolution of 1280x960x32 which, to my eyes, when coupled with Mipmap LOD of -0.1 and Anisotropy forced to level 4 (32tap) looks far nicer.Others may disagree, but on my system fixing target frame rate at a higher level seems to maintain a subjective feeling of smoothness in more situations than with the setting set at a lower level. I used to have it set at 25 and then tried upping it to 98 but, feeling that to be a somewhat ridiculous figure, eventually settled on 30fps. Also I have VSync set to ON and since my monitor refresh rate is set at 85Hz for most resolutions a target frame rate of 98 is somewhat pointless. Cheers!Mike :-wave

I upgraded from a Cel 500 to a Cel 1000 and am a happy camper.Framerates 20+ with 2xFSAA on a GF4 4200, works great!

Bert

Hi Ron!Good to hear from you!Well...I have tried to overclock the 500 beastie, but to no avail. Only lockups. I went over to the PowerLeap site and I saw that they are selling the PL-370/T adapter with a 1.4 Tulatin Celery already installed (in the adapter) as well as a high-quality cooling fan and heat sink for $159.95!!!You can't beat that with a stick.I was looking at a new MOBO and CPU and that combo would have generated a $600-800 bill for sure.I really like the ABIT BM6 (440 chip set) and wanted to stick with it. I figured, that if I tripled the Hz game on my present system, that I could last until the Pent 4 is behind the curve again.So...I'll post my before/after results as soon as I get the wee beastie in.Thanks for your reply,Cheers!Mitch'er

Hey there, Mike!Charlotte (the bike) is just fine, and in two years I have ridden her over 55,000 miles! So, between flight sims and Goldwings....my time is full.Thanks for the reply, bud How's things by you? Was Santa good to ya, other than leaving VISA bills behind? LOLYou know....my system is truly ancient by today's standards...but hey..it works! Other than flight sims, a 500 MHz system can doing everything, and everything well.But the curse of flight sims....FRAME RATES Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhh......So...I'll see what throwing 1.4 Mhz does for it. Mike..if I can sustain 12-15 FPS in 2002, then truly (it is smooth at that rate with satisfactory aircraft control) then I will be satisfied.As it is...I get great frame rates from X-Plane and am REALLY looking forward to the 1.4 running version 6.50.I came into KDTW yesterday (running 5.66) breaking out of the ceiling at 1200 AGL...bound for 03 and what a great approach. I love FS2002 with all the candy...but by gawd, does X-plane ROCK when you want realism...wind shear was present with subtle cross-wind, and I don't care what ANYBODY says....OPEN GL totally blows any version of DX(whatever) out of the ring.....for performance. Yep..those days were fun...with the Cap. But you know...the new crowd is as well. I'm glad to see that most of the 'ground crew' are still here and active.Thanks for the come-back Mike, and of course I don't have to remember you...for I truly never left....was just in retrospective mode...lol. I enjoy(ed) your posts.Happy New Year to you and yours!Cheers!Mitch

Hi! I have a Celeron 600MHz with 192mb ram and a 16mb nVidia Vanta LT video card and 19gb HD. Is there anything I can do to my comp to boast it's performance without upgrading? like over clocking it? I'm not even sure what that is to tell you the truth. I am getting crappy FPS in all games pretty much. Any help would be appriciated thanks :-)Best Regards Derek Beal :-wavePROUD RUSSIAN/CANADIAN! :D

Hello Bert!Happy New Year!That is great news to look forward to, bud!I'm drooling now....Hey UPS...what's keeping ya....?!?!?!?!? :)Cheers!Mitch'er

Hello ILYUSHIN,You can get better frame rates by going with a more up-to-date graphics board, and depending on if your MOBO is supported or not, you can throw in a PowerLeap adapter (if you need one...) and a 1.4 Tulatin based Celery for #159.95 US. That works out to around $255.00 (Can) at yesterday's posted 'we will rip ya' rates' at the Royal Bank site.So, if you can part with around $300.00 (CAN) you can go to a 1.4 Ghz Green Machine. That's around the cost of upgrading a Canadian MOBO alone!Just my thoughts....Cheers!Mitch R.

Ilyushin, the 600 Mhz Cele is a very overclockable chip, because it has a frontside bus speed of 66 MHz. If you can set your FSB to a higher number, you will get a real speed boost. You will also have to boost the voltage a little to make it stable, and probably get a new CPU fan, like a golden orb. I have a 667 mhz Celeron. I set my fsb to 95 MHz, and now it is running at 950 Mhz. Ive been running it that way for a year now, no probs. It's still not as fast as I would like, but 667 to 950 is a considerable speed boost!

Guest ront1

Hi Mitch, Please post your findings when you get this setup. I am very curious how it will work. I may be interested in trying it.Ron

I sure will, buddy!For the price, you can't lose.....Cheers~!Mitch

Guest ront1

Hi Again Mitch, I am really glad that you posted this. I looked at it and it seems like a pretty good system boost for the $$. Also, I saw this review today which some may like to take a look at.http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20030107/index.htmlI just put a new Radeon 9500 Pro in my system and this would really help things out.Ron

Guest Lindy

Hi there Mitch! Long time .... no see ya around. Glad to see you're posting again. So you'll be updating your 500. With a 1.4ghz, even a Celeron, you should see quite acceptable performance. I know that FS2K2 ran very smoothly on my old P3 700 with most of the options set quite high. Good luck with your upgrade.Also happy to hear that Charlotte is running well. *smile* Take care, kid. Happy flying.-Lindy :-wave