Sign in to follow this  
Bert Pieke

Vid Card Recomendation??

Guest HeavyFan

I need help for a 32MB Ge Force2 MX 400! I know this has been asked many times before, but this is an older Ge Force2 card that came with my Dell 8200 P4 1.7GHZ machine last year! I have been having some problems with textures showing up in FS with POSKY and MELS 747's and Mels 777's when they are repainted in the 32BIT format! If i change the textures to DXT3 the textures show up Correctly, but the quality of the repaint's does not look as good, since it was made for the 32BIT format!?? Now i am using old 21.83 drivers, so i want to know what new drivers out there will work good with this card?? There are alot of choices but i don't know which new drivers will work good with my old card?? Some people i talked to said it was my old drivers causing the textures not to show up correctly in FS, since i don't see anyone else with my problem posting!? So I would really apprecite any reconmendation's on which drivers i should try to remedty this problem i am having, so i can enjoy those Wonderfull repaint's on these 2 Awesome planes for FS! Thank's MIKE-:(

Guest Squitters

Hi Mike :-waveI use a Creative Labs GeForce 256 pro 32 mb card with Creatives own30.82 drivers, I guess this card is also 'old' now, all looks well in sim tho with Posky a/c (not tried the MelJet yet) cheers,Steve

Guest HeavyFan

only 1 reply?? Sheesh, I know this is an old card, but alot of guy's had it before! Coomon i need some suggestions guy's unitll i get rid of this damn Card i need some drivers that work well in FS with this card!?? -:( -:(

From NVidia's site, the same 30.82 works well under W98 for me. GeForce2 MX200 but using MX400 driver.I also from www.guru3D.com downloaded RivaTuner and the 30.82 patch that allows negative LOD settings to limit the foggies on a slow system (about to be retired - upgrading from a PIII 550 to a P IV 2.53 533 FSB. It will be interesting to see the effect on frame rates hopefully improving on detailed airports with taxi signs by changing just the CPU only).

I used to have the same card as you.. I do not believe it is the drivers.. as a matter of fact, I kept going back to the 12.41 drivers which were the best for that "old" card. I believe you are running into the 32 Meg limitation.. with lots of large textures, you run out of memory (and horsepower to render them all).At some time you'll need to upgrade.. I'd suggest the GF4 4200 with 128 Meg of memory.. great price performer and way better looking FS scenery.

Bert

Other than changing the drivers, do bear in mind that with the modern large texture sets 32Mb of Graphics memory is on the low side, as it may not be sufficient to properly display everything. Things improved with the DXT3 textures because they're smaller in size and don't tax your system so much.As most new drivers are now updated to tweak the latest GeForce 4 cards, there's no point in updating beyond a certain point, as the benefits will be of no help, and may even be worse. I too have a GeForce 2 card, mine with 64Mb of onboard RAM.Alastair

Guest HeavyFan

hmm good Point there Guy's! Guess my Old 32MB card is being over used with these Big 32Bit repaint's everyone seems to be doing! Where is the best place and Best price to buy say like a Ge Force4 Ti 4200 card?? Apprecite the help on this guy's! Makes me think twice of my problem may be the damn old card itself! MIKE-:)

Mike, I bought mine in Canada for the equivalent of $150... shop around on the Internet.. several card manufacturers make them, incl. Leadtek, Asus, MSI, etc I ended up with an Abit card and am very happy.

Bert