Sign in to follow this  
Guest rogue1

OT: Best Crockpot Recipes

What are your favorite crockopt recipes? :) Earl

Hmm, is this a hint it is time to start cracking down on off-topic discussions again. :-)

No, it's time for someone to start a poll on "What is the most off-topic post you've ever seen?" Then someone else can post a few dozen off-topic splash screens.... :)Sidney Schwartz [KPDX]MyTraffic/Radar Contact/FSMeteo/FSSE/FSassist/FDCHorizon Flights--flight plans and scenery for FS2002http://sidneyschwartz.homestead.com/index.html

What? Is this too off-topic? ;)EarlP.S. Sorry, I've been mostly away for a while. Feel free to lock if you wish.

I was going to ignore this thread but....What on the earth is a crockpot?

Guest KenG

Oh come on folks. I got a crockpot for X-mas (I'm not kidding) and would love some recipes. ;-)

Guest RiddlePilot

i got a fry-daddy and have no clue how to use it

Ok Ken, here ya go. Now, do all the below BEFORE you go out flying (real or sim) for the day. Take a 1-1/2-pound boneless beef chuck eye roast, eye of round roast, or round rump roast - the chuck is best. Trim fat from the meat. Spray an unheated large skillet with nonstick cooking spray and brown the meat on all sides - don't cook it Ken, just brown it. What you are doning is sealing in the juices by searing the outside of the meat. Set the meat on the ramp for the moment.Now we start loading food cargo into the crock pot.Add 4 medium potatoes, quartered (new potatoes with skin if ya like)Add 4-ounce can mushroom stems and pieces (drain it first)Add 2 cups packaged, peeled baby carrots - find these in the veggie section of the fresh food area.Add 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon, crushed - tarragon is a bit expensive but it adds a nice flavor. If you want, use basil instead.Now, add the meat - just set in on top of all the other stuff. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon saltPour a 10-3/4-ounce can of condensed mushroom soup on top of the meat.Cover and cook this for about 10-12 hours.Now that you are back from all your pattern work you have an nice meal ready.Serve with nice rolls and a Merlot.ALSO: You can put some of the leftovers in a ziplock, freeze them, then nuke them at the airport for a nice snack between flights or or "There I was" sessions.See ya,Kathy.Born to Fly.My Dad, Me, My Son.____________________http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3e1d9988744f0c3b.jpg

Sounds like KatiePilot has been doing some K. P.!!Hi Katie! Happy New Year!Haven't seen you posting in a long time!!Doing any Tanker flying?

Hi back to ya William and Happy New Year to you as well.I kept busy with some SE Cessna flights around and about the east coast and mid west. I don't do well with zero degree pre-flights (at least not when I am doing them for fun) so I fly the PC when Frosty the snowman shows up with his bag of turbulence. Since coming back to FS and the forum I discovered some new stuff so I purchased the Dream Flight Cardinal and the FSD Seneca V for kicks - both are a treat.I had a great flying experience this summer with a friend giving me some chopper stick time in a Hughes. I may have to change my mind about rotor heads if I decide to become one of them. :-rotor I'll admit, it is quite fun and intend to beat the air into submission some more this spring.Clear Skys to ya.Kathy.Born to Fly.My Dad, Me, My Son.____________________http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3e1d9988744f0c3b.jpg

Guest rogue1

I've got two: one for chili, the other for ribs. As for the chili recipe, I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you. As for the ribs, just cut up an onion and throw it in the bottom, put in a layer of short beef ribs, then your favorite sauce, continue until you're about 1 1/2 inches from the top. You'll probably need 1 1/2lbs to 2 lbs of ribs depending on the size of your unit :-). Cook on low heat for 4 hours. Enjoy. This goes really good with ranch beans and corn on the cob.Jim

I make beans in my crock pot.- 1 lb bag of black or red beans, picked and soaked overnight in cold water- 2 - 4 smoked ham hocks depending on size- Several quarts of beef, veal or chicken stock (don't buy bullion cubes, they are pretty much just salt and a bit trace of real stock flavor). You can purchase shelf-stable tubs of demi glace at high-end grocery stores which you can dilute to stock consistency. Or, use the "Better than Bullion" jars in the soup aisle of your major supermarket - they are still salty, but better than cubes. Notes on making yourown (preferred) below. - One onion, quartered.Put the beans, hocks and onion in the pot, and cover with stock. Do not season at this point. Salt will affect the texture of the beans poorly and contribute to splitting. Turn it on and go away. It will take 4 - 6 hours to cook the beans. When done, remove the hocks from the beans, and, using a fork, strip them of their meat. Return the meat to the beans. Now, you can stop here, add salt, pepper and a bit of hot sauce and life is good. But, if you want to really kick things up, make a sofrito to thicken and flavor the beans:1. Dice an onion and a red pepper and put in a saute or fry pan with several tablespoons of vegetable oil, lard or bacon fat and cook until starting to brown.2. Add about two tablespoons of chile powder, a tablespoon of cumin, and a few cloves of finely mixed garlic. Saute for about 30 seconds, or until the spice aromas "bloom" out of the pan, then add one to two tablespoons of flour (more if you want really thick beans, less if you don't) and saute for several minutes to cook the raw flour. 3. You may also add a diced Jalapeno or two to the spices and garlic above if you like. I personally like adding one or two Chipolte peppers with about a tablespoon of the adobo sauce. It adds a zing and a very nice smokiness.4. After three to four minutes of sauteing with the flour, you will end up with a a bit of a sticky, clumpy mess. This is ok - it's supposed to be like this. Don't skimp here on the cooking time, or your beans will have a very distinctive raw flour flavor which is not all that tasty.5. Add one cup of beans and a cup of stock to the sofrito, combine and mash up with the back of a spoon. You can also put this into a food processor. You wnat to end up with a runny paste of beans,veggies and stock. 6. Add the paste into your beans and incorporate. On the stove, bring the beans with the sofrito to a high simmer to thicken. 7. If you like a slightly sweet pot of beans, add brown sugar or molasses to taste. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Knock down a few Beano tablets and you are good to go. This is really good on rice. Making your own stock (highly recommended - once you do this you will never buy another tin of stock or box of bullion cubes again):Get 4 - 5 pounds of soup bones from your butcher, beef or veal. Spray with vegetable oil and roast at 350 - 400 until browned, turning occasionally to make sure they don't burn. You want golden brown, not black. Deglaze the pan with a bit of water, scraping the fond (brown bits) off with the back of a wooden spoon. Add the deglazing liquid to the stock pot (see below).In a large pot, cover with water, add 1 whole garlic clove, 1 bay leaf, 4 - 6 sprigs of parsley and a teaspoon of whole black pepper and simmer for 4 - 6 hours, as low as you can go while still getting the occasional bubble. Tradition calls for putting the parsley, garlic, bay leaf and pepper into a "bouquet" (all the ingredients wrapped up in a cheese cloth package) but if you are going to strain it at the end you can also just throw it in. If you have a large tea infusing ball, you can put the ingredients inside that and dunk it in the bones and water. As the bones simmer, skim off any fat and foam that comes to the surface. While the bones simmer, roast in the same pan you roasted the bones in a 350 oven, 2 cups onions, 1 cup carrots and 1 cup celery, coarsly chopped, coated with oil spray first. When nicely browned, add one small tin of tomato paste, mix in with the veggies, and return to the oven for another 15 - 20 minutes until the paste has browned. Add the veggies and paste to the simmering stock. After 5- 6 hours, drain the stock through a colander. Then re-strain through a colander lined with cheese cloth. Hard core types will then recover the bones, and simmer them again, getting every last bit of goodness out of them. I'm not sure it's worth the effort though. Season with salt and pepper to taste.The best way to defat the sauce is to refrigerate it. The fat will rise to the top and congeal, making it easy to spoot off. Don't be alarmed if you stock turns into beef jello in the fridge - there is a lot of gelatin in the marrow and connective tissue on the bones. This is all good - it gives the stock a very nice mouth feel when heated. Freeze unused stock for up to three months. I put mine in ice cube trays, then transfer the stock cubes to a refrigerator dish in the freezer. The stock can be reduced (boiled down) or diluted at will for sauces, soups or beans. When reducing, be careful about seasoning. Don't season until you have reached the consistency that you are going to use for your dish. If you reduce a salty stock, the salt flavor will become overpowering in the finished product. Have fun. Colin

As a variation on the pot roast recipe above, replace the cream of mushroom soup with dry red wine and a bit of beef stock and you'll get a nice rich beefy red gravy with your meat.