Sign in to follow this  
Djang0

PCI card questions

Hi people (I posted this in another thread before but I don't think it was easy to find!). I currently have a CRT and TFT connected to my PCIe card. I want to add a 3rd and possibly a 4th display and I am considering a PCI card.Q1) I already have an NVIDIA PCIe card, does this mean that I have to add another NVIDIA PCI card?Q2) If my PCI card does not have to be NVIDIA are there any performance advantages to the PCI card also being NVIDIA?Q3) Is it a wiser choice to have both of your graphics cards from the same manufacturer?Q4) I was under the impression that the more graphics memory the better. Does this also apply when you add a PCI card or can you create a bottleneck in your system?Q5) Is it sensible to plan to use two displays with a PCI card, or would this create a bottleneck and slow my system?Q6 Whats a good PCI card? I saw this XFX card http://www.xfxforce.com/web/product/listCo...=110#PV-T64K-UABut I'm not sure if it's worth it (e.g. is there much point having 256MB memory if the memory interface is 128MB?).

Regards, Django EGLL.

| BMS | DCS OB | A-10C II | AV-8B | F-16C | F/A-18C | FC3 | Persian Gulf | Supercarrier | Tacview | XP11 | FF A320 | FF 757 |

| I7-9700K + NH-D15 | RTX3080Ti 12GB | DDR4-3200 16GB | Aorus Z390 Ultra | 2X Evo 860 1TB | 850W | Torrent Case |

| Warthog HOTAS + CH Pedals | 32" TV 1080p 60Hz | TrackIR5 |

Guest RonB49

Hi Django,If not a requirement, then I believe using the same manufacturer's cards in this situation is wise. Let me tell you why.I just bought a Compaq system with integrated ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics. After upping the memeory from 512 MB to 1 GB, I tried the system with the integrated graphics and it worked better than I expected. Then, I installed my ATI 9200 PCI card and disabled the integrated graphic (just like I'd done successfully on my HP with integrated Intel AGP graphics), I was very disappointed.Next, I enabled the integrated graphics with a monitor there for the outside view and a second monitor, attached to 9200, for the instrument panels. I used the Windows XP drivers and it seemed that there were different driver sets for the integrate graphics and the PCI card.Finally, I downloaded and installed the latest Omega drivers. Now one driver set is shown as controlling both the integrated graphics and the 9200 PCI card. Although I only have three connectors (two on the 9200 and one on the computer's mainboard), four monitors are pictured on the graphics properties screen, two are shown as active.I am happy with this arrangement until I can afford a PCIe card to replace the integrated graphics (yes the ASUS motherboard has a PCIe slot). As soon as I get a little time, I'm going to connect a third monitor on the 9200 secondary) and place the overhead panel on that. I'll let you know how it goes but I don't expect any problem. R-EDIT, to add: I first had the outside view on the 9200 monitor and the panels on the integrated graphics and got 8-9 FPS at KSEA (default flight except Autogen and AI turned up and resolution changed to 1024x768 on my CRT and 1280x1024 on the LCD screen). With the outside view on the X200 integrated graphics, I get 15-17 FPS at the same point. R-

Does anyone know how FS9 will respond to a PCI and PCIe cards being used at the same time - i.e. will the features of each be limited, particularly the PCIe card when running with the less powerful PCI card?

Regards, Django EGLL.

| BMS | DCS OB | A-10C II | AV-8B | F-16C | F/A-18C | FC3 | Persian Gulf | Supercarrier | Tacview | XP11 | FF A320 | FF 757 |

| I7-9700K + NH-D15 | RTX3080Ti 12GB | DDR4-3200 16GB | Aorus Z390 Ultra | 2X Evo 860 1TB | 850W | Torrent Case |

I'd appreciate any advice people have regarding these questions:Q1) I already have an NVIDIA PCIe card, does this mean that I have to add another NVIDIA PCI card?Q2) If my PCI card does not have to be NVIDIA are there any performance advantages to the PCI card also being NVIDIA?Q3) Is it a wiser choice to have both of your graphics cards from the same manufacturer?Q4) I was under the impression that the more graphics memory the better. Does this also apply when you add a PCI card or can you create a bottleneck in your system?Q5) Is it sensible to plan to use two displays with a PCI card, or would this create a bottleneck and slow my system?Q6) Whats a good PCI card? I saw this XFX card, but is it over-kill for just 2D views (would a 64MB card be sufficient)?http://www.xfxforce.com/web/product/listCo...=110#PV-T64K-UA(Is there much point having 256MB memory if the memory interface is 128MB?).Q7) My current PC has a 300W power supply and I have:1X PCIe card1X PCI TV / radio tuner1X PCI modem.1X free PCII have read that the NVIDIA cards use more power than ATI's. Might I have problems if I use an NVIDIA PCIe and a PCI card and my other PCI hardware?

Regards, Django EGLL.

Following from my previous questions, what experiences have people had with 300W power supplies and PCIe and PCI graphics cards installed? - I'm kind of desperate for info on this - any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Regards, Django EGLL.