Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dominik Mann

YS-11 question about prop feathering

This is a great plane and I suspect this is a procedural problem on my part. During T.O. and landing I find the left prop will feather at unexpected times. Hitting the lit up red feather button will unfeather it, but I haven't been able to discover what I must be doing wrong to cause the feathering. I've been through the engine failures caused by over-boosting the engine, and this does not seem to be the problem now.

Guest Milio_B

Unfortunately I can't answer that questin (I'm just a mere painter! :() but I can tell you to post all your questions about the YS-11 or other AFG a/cs in pour forum @ www.alliedfsgroup.com instead of here.You'll get a better (and faster) answer there :)It's always best to post this kind of questions in the developper's forums ;)

I'm not sure about landing, but I know this bird is very sensitive to the throttle being opened too quickly on t/o. I find that I just need to nurse it gently forward on takeoff. If you open the throttle too quickly, autofeathering will occur.

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my FS Blog or follow me on Twitter (username: bwomack).

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

Bill is right, and it IS covered in the readme. The props have an automatic speed governor (hence no gauges or dials) and this is correctly implemented in the AFG YS-11.This from the manual: "The plane now has prop autofeather system. The autofeather happens when if throttle-levers are above 12800 RPM position (the lower red line in the gauge), and torque pressure is below 50 PSI. Important note, if you move the joystick's throttle too fast, it may initiate autofeather! This is because it is possible to move the throttles faster than on the real plane. So, you'll have to advance the throttles so that you DO NOT exceed the 12800 RPM position BEFORE the torque pressure has reached the minimum of 50 PSI."Because of the way the left and right engines are programmed as separate gauges, when running up fo t/o the left engine will usually be the first to autofeather.Hope this is of some help, but you really need to read the documentation thoroughly for this plane as there's a lot going on `behind the scenes` with failure modes, Water/Methanol injection and whatnot.Chas

Thanks very much for the quick feedback. I did read the procedures but missed that aspect. Time to go back to Marathon Key and finish my Miami to Key West Flight! ;)

Is there an avionics master switch? I haven't found one nor been able to activate the radios or auto-pilot. Thanks.

The overhead is still being worked on. You can keep an eye on devellopments at the AFG website through the very informative forumshttp://alliedfsgroup.com/They are working on the autopilot too.Chas

Guest Dominik Mann

@ Chas:Thanks for that bit of information you posted. Been flying the YS yesterday and crashed badly on take-off when my left engine would feather first, and subsequently both engines would shut down when I was about 400 feet off the ground. *ouch*By the way, this is a most excellent plane! :D