Sign in to follow this  
Guest Stamatis

Searching for a file (wrong instructions)

When conducting an extended search, the page prompts you as follows:Enter your search criteria below.You can use * and ? wildcards when searching for filenamesairbus a340 searches for the phrase "airbus a340"a3* searches for words beginning with "a3", e.g. "a340"I do not find the above instruction to be correct.If one enters airbus a340 the search will come up with all files whose descriptions contain either of the two words, and definitely not just the files where the phrase "airbus a340" is included.So, the question is how does someone search for a phrase, instead of unconnected words? Such a criterion narrows down the search significantly.Stamatis

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Stamatis, have you tried to do as the instructions say and enclose the phrase in quotes. As the example shows, search on "airbus a340" and use the quotation marks.Hope this helps.

Dear John,Stamatis, have you tried to do as the instructions say and enclose the phrase in quotes.a) I humbly suggest you re-read the instructions yourself. There are no quotes included where it gives an example of what you must enter.It states: when searching for filenames airbus a340there are no quotes to be seen. But please read on::( I tried it with quotes nonetheless and it did not workHope this helps.Unfortunately it does not.Why do you suggest this? Does it work for you? Can you capture a phrase in your search? If so, please give me an example and the results of that specific search.I intentionally copied a phrase from a file description at random, and used the copied text string in a search, both with quotes and without. The search came up with nothing.Thanks anyway,Stamatis

Stamatis, you are correct in that there are no quote marks in the suggested example AND that the DCForum search function does not recognize them when they are used. Sorry that I mislead you and thanks for pointing out my error.There are other search functions (not here) that do recognize quote marks to search for phrases (and only the phrase) and I made an incorrect assumption that this Forum program worked that way. It does not.Perhaps an AVSIM staff person can provide you with better information.

The search is slightly fuzzy -- performing a precise search is too processor intensive.However out of 180 results for airbus a340 less than 5 did not contain that exact phrase, and all contained both terms.--M

Matt,I cut and pasted a phrase from a file desription at random, then searched for it. The file I extracted the phrase from did not come up in the results, in fact no file came up as that phrase was kind of unique.I seriously believe the Search function of the Avsim Library is very limited compared to what is available at other major sites, and is an area where improvements would be most welcomed by your users.Please consider upgrading/improving this feature.Stamatis