Sign in to follow this  

Extreme Crosswind Video !!!

Guest SlimDady

Wow thats a mad crosswind.. He almost cliped the wing off.Heh looks like fun:)

Man, I'm glad he aborted in the end. What a maniac! Remind me not to fly TAP. Misha

Guest BAW463

WOW what flying! :-eek :-eek :-eek :-eek :-eek :-eek !

Well I am amazed!I don't know your background in aviation but I can't understand what's the point regarding this video!Ok, it's spectacular to see but all you can see there is perfecly normal so what's the point? Things like this happens every days around the world... Pilot did exactly what he should have done and the situation was perfectly safe!I also cannot understand the comment "...Man, I'm glad he aborted in the end. What a maniac! Remind me not to fly TAP..."! Why that can you please explain? Or do you know any airline that can control weather and gusting winds? Or did the pilot, in your opinion, made some mistake I'm failling to see or understand?Best regardsMiguel Branco da Silva

Chill out! It's not about controlling gusts or winds, it's about recognizing that the situation is dangerous and aborting and diverting before you get so close to the ground that a little more wind would cause you to clip your wings. MK

"What a maniac! Remind me not to fly TAP"----What an immature comment that is. What is your knowledge of real world aviation may i ask? JP-------The Sky is my Home

Hi MishaI'm quite cool...If you "see" the video, you'll see that although under a moderate crosswind (and quite steady) the captian managed to do a good approach to the runway when, at about 50 ft above the runway, a severe gust hit the aircraft! To me the approach was made correctly and only the gust (unpredictable) avoid the landing!... I don't see any reason for the captain not to try the approach and, as I said before, a I cannot understand the comments made here since all was made perfectly safe...RegradsMiguel Branco da Silva

Guest josh0571

Good call, Misha.Major airline pilots who decide to attempt a landing in conditions as severe as this have certainly made a poor decision.And fun??!! You've got to be joking!! That would've been absolutely terrifying!! Passengers could die in situations like that: heart attacks, flying objects in the cabin, etc.I'd feel like suing the airline for negligence and undue care myself!! Josh

Don't get me wrong. I'm impressed by the pilot's skill in handling the situation. I just don't think he should have even done an approach in such conditions. Even at the beginning of the video his bank angle is pretty bad. He can do this all he likes in his own plane, but please not with passengers. I've seen aborted landings in far kinder weather conditions. I just think some pilots see it as a sign of weakness to request a go around. Misha

Nice video, nothing unusual though, ask a passenger and a pilot how they experienced a goaround and you will get two very different stories.OHN

Guest Jet

Do you think those conditions exceed the maximum crosswind component for the approach?Looked like it but also recently read the gear is usually designed for a 45 degree offset landing and still not be damaged.Hard to believe that everything there was very normal, routine and safe??

Yes i agree with Kispo that the gust hit the aircraft at about 50ft, up to this point the app was made using normal and usual procedures.Maybe some of you think that pilots control the weather! We are all trained for this conditions every 6 months, not only on practical terms but in theory as well. It was a good decision making as it says on the CRM.Congrats to the pilots excelent job.JP

Guest gasebah

Looks like a crappy AI aircraft.cfg to me. :-)Alex