Sign in to follow this  

Extreme Crosswind Video !!!

Hi,As far as I know that was the second attempt to land. After that missed approach they diverted back to Faro (LPFR)... their origin!Great job from the pilots!Reguards,Luis Florencio

Guest Pabra

A routine "kai tak style" landing attempt..brings back memories!

Should have? Shouldn't have? If you weren't there, you are UNQUALIFIED to make a judgement. Thanks for the video.

Quoting Josh:>Major airline pilots who decide to attempt a landing in >conditions as severe as this have certainly made a poor >decision. It obviously looks that you, like Misha, don't know sh*t about airline flying, or about flying at all, i believe.May i quote the Airbus Operations Manual:The maximum tailwind component for take-off and landing is 10 knotsThe maximum crosswind component for takeoff is 29 knotsThe maximum crosswind component for landing is 33 knotsThe maximum gust is 38 knotsAs i recall from a metar report i have here from that day the wind was 17 knots gusting 29 with a direction of around 240 (it may have been at that particular time a bit different, but on those values, as it was more or less the same conditions the whole day)... The runway hdg is 208, so can you tell me where is the poor decision here ?? Only if not guessing the gusts! Or maybe you'd probably want for him to pause the plane and remove the gusts! Come on... Like someone said, if you weren't there you are not able to judge !!>I'd feel like suing the airline for negligence and undue >care myself!! This is just to laugh, right ?? Why don't you sue your own a*s for existing ?? You'd probably win ! DOH !! :~PSorry for the language, but stuff like this makes me nervous! :-fumeRegardsFrancisco Leit

Whoa that would've been a ride! :( and OMG! it's sad, nobody can post anything it seems without being scrutinized about something... jeeze I think everone needs to CALM DOWN about things here... It's like poking at a bee's nest everytime you post something... there is always someone just waiting to start something and ##### someone off...:-roll Thanks for the video though :D Best Regards Derek Beal :-wavePROUD RUSSIAN/CANADIAN! :D

>The maximum tailwind component for take-off and landing is >10 knots >The maximum crosswind component for takeoff is 29 knots >The maximum crosswind component for landing is 33 knots >The maximum gust is 38 knots HiJust to add some more details... The above values are indicated values by AIRBUS for pilot's reference. It doesn't means that landing with a crosswind componet below 33 knots the landing could be successfuly achieved nor that a landing with a crosswind component above 33 knots is impossible to do!BTW the approach we can see on the video was done with regular wind but when at about 50ft above the runway the aircraft was hit by a gust of about 50 knots... It was impossible for the piloto to do better and what he did was just perfect!RegardsMiguel Branco da Silva

Guest B52Drivr

Hello All,Saw the vid, scarry stuff, to say the least . . . however, every pilot who is ATP certified has probably experienced this same type of landing. As some have stated, the approach was normal until hit by that huge gust, after that it was pilot skill and nerves of steel which diverted a diaster.It was obvious from the trained eye that immediately after the gust, the pilot was trying to abort and go around, and got hit again. Just for the record, way back when, returning from a mission in SEA, tired crew, bad weather in Guam and low fuel saw landings like this every day . . . that is why a B52 has landing gear which can be dialed in for 17-21 degree of crab . . . and yes, it is most strange to land, looking over your co-pilots shoulder, or out your left window. And yes, no matter how much your experience level, after a landing like that, you possibly may have to clean out your drillies.Best to all,Clayton T. DopkeMajor, USAF (retired)"Drac"B52Drivr@aol.com

Ditto Major Dopke,Amazing to recover from that ... phew .. I watched, then immediately thought "Wow I would have a need to change my trousers once I landed safely." Then I read your post ... hahaha ... truly amazing.BTW, fascinating little info about the B52 gear ... I will have to go looking for some info about that ... what a neat business ... aviation.

Gents,Amazing what a little wind can do a man's/woman's continence.A note to our new friend(s), if you have something to add to a discussion, you are best served to make your point in a civil and respectful manner.Everyone's opinion , no matter how off base, deserves to be heard. If you disagree with their stated opinion, challenge it with facts, but do not attack the person, as this makes you look foolish. It also weakens your argument, because as soon as I hear someone tell another to "sue themselves for existing", I immediately disregard the rest of their post.Play nice,Roger

Nice Video.Thanks for posting it.I'm willing to gamble that the pilots of that jet weren't Asian though....LOLLagaz.

Guest Jet

Roger-Well put!!!!Hear ye, hear ye!!!What's going on around here, we don't need to simulate real life worldwide hostilities.Let's just stick to aviation simulation.

Guest josh0571

Hey FleitaoYep, you're right on both accounts:1. I don't know much about flying, &2. I was having a laugh! ;)Anyway, happy landings!Josh