Sign in to follow this  
Guest mtom

How much RAM

Guest mtom

Hi all.Was wondering whether someone might be able to clarify for me the issue of 'how much RAM'. I know the general rule is 'more is good', but why? Is this a specific FS thing? My understanding is the RAM aids multi-tasking - using multiple utilities at the same time - but that does not 'really' occur in normal FS use - not for me anyway. Playing with scenery design is a different thing, but that's not normal use. Also, I never really noticed any difference in FS performance by increasing my PC's RAM: 250, then to 500 and then to 1250.So, what gives guys? Is there a conclusive answer to this chestnut?Cheers,Matthew.

Well the advice I can give you is, if you are building/buying a computer today, get AT LEAST 2 gigs of ram on it.The 'more is good' rule is valid with any application. It's not just with FS. Now, there is such a thing as getting diminishing returns. With most of todays applications, you're not going to see as big a difference with 4 gigs ram as with 2 gigs. On the other hand, go from 512mb ram to 2 gigs...and you'll see a significant difference in performance.Rhett

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Well perhaps. While agreeing that if you were buying a new PC today you would go for 2 gigs my understanding is that you will not see much improvement in FS apart from faster texture loading and a capacity to better tolerate other processes running in the background ie multitasking. I also understand that you need to have two indentical 1 gig sticks otherwise performance could be worse. There have been a number of threads on this issue that canvass the pros and cons of more ram.Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Guest mtom

Thanks guys. Feel like in the same position as before though. There's just too contradictory views out there I'm afraid :-)Cheers,Matthew.

I recently did an upgrade on my system which means I built a new computer.The increase in ram to 2GB is not something you would notice in FS9 if you didn't look for it.However it is hard for me to actually discern the effect of more ram,because the cpu and gpu were also upgraded.So to sum up my wishy-washy statement:I don't think the extra ram is worth the money in an old system. James

The conclusive answer is what James said...if you have an older system with a gig, it's probably not worth it to upgrade it to 2 gigs ram--assuming you are doing it for FS...But if you're buying new, there is absolutely NO reason not to have at least 2 gigs in the system. There are NO cons to having 2 gigs, except that it costs (a little) more than having just 1 gig.Rhett

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB