Sign in to follow this  
Guest GeorgeDorkofikis

VIA Chipset Problem... ATTN ALL GURUS

Guest byoung

FlytheSpitfire is Right!!!!If you plug the pedals into the last port, it worked!!!!!!!I don't understand it, but check it out..I have the NEC four port USB PCI card cost around $20. I disabled my internal USB Ports on the motherboard.One thing though. Use FSUIPC Joystick utility to set the null zone. I set mine to about +4000 -4000. My Pedals will not zero completely, but they are a lot better and using the FSUIPC adjustments made the difference. If you don't have FSUIPC, you can download it at http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.htmlRead the FSUIPC docs regarding the Joystick utility.. I am going to call CH Products tomorrow and report FlytheSpitfire along with my findings..Take care!Barry

HiI have a VIA MSI MoBo with AMD1800 and WIN XP; CH yoke, throttle and pedals, all USB for a long time and everything works fine.C.M.G.

Guest byoung

CMG,This is not specific to a particular motherboard.. But that is good to know about the MSI Mobo. What VIA chipset does it have? I am going to call CH Products this morning to inform them of the news and would like to relay your board specs as working.But the solution I outlined will be fine. I haven't tested it over long flights etc.. But I sure it will work OK.Barry

Guest GeorgeDorkofikis

Barry,first of all, it is NOT a VIA problem...I do NOT have a VIA chipset and still have the problem!I have found a temporary solution for this (see my other thread), but CH MUST listen and release proper drivers.Via, Intel, Microsoft have NOTHING to do with this. This is 100% a driver issue and it's CH's responsibility.I will definately NOT buy anything else of CH until they fix this one out. This is the SECOND time they do this. Once with their gameport devices, which finally they DID fix, and now this one.George DorkofikisAthens, Greece

Guest byoung

Hey George,You are right, it is not just a VIA problem.It really applies to potentially every motherboard that does not have an Intel Chipset (VIA, SIS, etc). Not to assume that all VIA motherboards have the problem. Some VIA chipsets on specific motherboards seem to work. But there is no consistancy to isolate the specific problems on specific motherboards. It is hit or miss.CH indicated that they have exhausted all efforts regarding finding a fix. I do agree that it is their problem, but frankly, the bottom line is they don't know how to fix it. So using the Last USB Port in the chain, along with Pete Downson's FSUIPC Joystick Calibration to increase the dead zone is a solution and seems to be a temporary (maybe long term) fix.If you run across a better solution, please share it.. For now, I can go back to enjoying my hobby, WITHOUT having to purchase a new motherboard.Barry

I run win2k and have never had this problem so i can not comment on XP problems to much but as a computer tech a couple of things I would recommend are 1. Keep you motherboard bios current. This in itself can fix alot of hardware related issues.2. Keep you motherboard drivers current. The new VIA Hyperon drivers are 4.45. They seem fairly stable to me. 3. If all esle fails get a usb hub that is USB 2.0 . 1.0 USB did have it's small share of connections problems and since I have gone to USB 2.0 on my new motherboard I have seen plenty of improvmenets. However these improvements would proboly not be noticable unless you work on computers all the time like I do . 4. Keep ALL software up to date . Most of my clients have never even bothered to update windows. I always see a system running more stable even when just getting a system security update. 5 . Turn off your anti virus scanner from the windows xp task manager so it fully shuts off .6. Get the lastest CH product drivers :)Now see if that helps :) Good luck Capt.Richard Dillon (KATL)www.jetstarairlines.comhttp://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpghttp://jdtllc.com/images/RCsupporter.jpg"Lets Roll" 9/11 -----------------------Specs AMD 2400 XP MSI KTV4 512MB DDR 2100Asus GF4 ti 4200 128MBSB Audigy Gamer Ch Products Yoke and Pedals(usb)Windows 2000 Serivce Pack 3

Hi BarrySorry the delay but the weekend ...Now the question ... well is a very good question, humm what VIA chipset? well, let's say, Okay! the only thing I know is: it is the latest one!:-)CheersC.M.G.

>Jfri, >>I would call CH Products Tech Support (www.chproducts.com) >and ask them if your motherboard is compatible before >plopping down the $200+ to get the USB Yoke and Pedals. >Yes of course. But can you describe for me what the problem is?I only know that there is a problem but not what it is. >The only other USB Yoke and Pedals I know of is PFC, and I >think it runs $750-$900 for the Yoke and Pedals. But I bet >you they don't have this problem. >That sounds a little bit to expensive. Flightsimming is not my onlyor even most important interest

Guest byoung

Dumping the XP 2200 and Biostar M7VIP for an Intel based chipset and Pentium 4 2.5 GHZ...Problem solved...Barry

Guest byoung

See Steve,The problem is hit and miss.. Sometimes it works, other configurations it doesn't. It depends on the motherboard & chipset, etc. The VIA chipset is really flakey. I want a configuration that will be compatible, and according to CH Products, the Intel chipset is the only one that is rock solid. They use Intel motherboards w/ the Intel chipset for their show systems without ANY problems. So for me instead of tinkering with USB filters, etc, the Intel mobo w/ Intel chipset should be pretty much plug and play.Use the FSUIPC joystick utility after a five minutes of taxiing and see if your rudder numbers reset to 0 in central position. If they do, great... But if not the problem is un-resolved.Barry

BUMP !It is not only CH products controllers. At the TSW site (Thomas Super Wheel) they say all their USB wheels will likely have a spikey response with a VIA chipped system board without the VIA USB patch, but that the patch will cure all that up nicely. The via website (viarena) claims their USB patch cures a wide variety of problems safely and they advise: if you think USB isn't broke, go ahead and fix it anyway.== WHK ==

Guest byoung

Again, it is hit and miss.. The patch works on some systems and not on others..Intel all the way!Barry

Guest GeorgeDorkofikis

Barry, just to confirm because I'm confused...You solved the centering problem? WITHOUT the use of FSUIPC and extreme cuts in the pedal's range?I too have an Intel M/B and the problem is still there.However, I moved the pedals around the 6 USB ports I have available and found that one particular port give me better results!... Don't ask me why, I don't know!All I know is that now the problem is transfered to the brake axis...And also, I will say this again, there is NO problem in Win98.Problem appears ONLY in WinXP!George DorkofikisAthens, Greece

Just to share my experiences with this issue:I have a dual boot system, Win98SE and WinXP Pro. I have both the USB Yoke Lite and Pro Pedals installed. Both are connected via an external USB 4-ports hub. When in Win98SE all works fine, it does not matter in which USB-port I plugin the CHProducts devices. I can use any combination of hub-port and/or onboard-port. However, running WinXP Pro is quite another story. It does not matter which port I use for the yoke as long as the pedals are in any of the onboard ports. I can not use the pedals via my (externally powered) USB-hub. When I plug them in the hub, the yoke stops responding. When I disconnect/connect the yoke, the pedals stop working... Strange! Well, at least I do have a working combination.My motherboard is a Chaintech 7NJS, so based on the VIA nForce2 chipset. This one has it's own drivers, it does not use the 4-in-1 drivers.Hakkie