Sign in to follow this  
barryward12345

New AGP card needed for FSx - please advise.

I have an older machine which I built myself a few years ago - AMDxp 2400 with 1 Gig RAM and a Geforce4 TI4200 vid card.I am not intending to get a completely new machine until the new Windows Vista OS is out and firmly established. I note this week that MS has announced another delay in it. To me,it is now not worth the expense of buying/building a machine which would span the gap from what I have now to a new Vista/DX10 machine (which I think will need another 2 years).My current machine has an AGP slot for the vid card - and these are getting harder to find. I am prepared to upgrade my vid card as the Geforce4 TI is only a DX8 card. I do have DX9 installed - and I note that FSx will need DX9 compliance whereas FS9 only need DX7 (I think) .So - what DX9 AGP card should I be looking for to help me through the time to go before I get a new Vista/DX10 machine?Any advice much appreciated.Thanks Barry

I would suggest a Geforce 6600GT. They are still available for AGP, are relatively cheap and provide a superior performance compared to your current card.Good luck!Pat

I went from a AGP 4 G4 Ti4600 to a AGP 8 GF 6600GT, and did not notice any increase in performance, in fact in a couple of cases there was a drop in performance as the new card did not work so well in OGL and i had to use the inferior D3D, but then in those applications the new card did run D3D better and it is a more up to date card.I probably won't be getting Vista as XP has proved for me to be all that 9X was not and i am still running a stable after a few years without the constant reinstalls of old. The only application this system struggles with is FS9 so i won't be getting FSX unless it comes out for the Xbox 360.

Guest lalo lolo1

6800 GT. They are not so expensive and they make a difference.Leo

6800 GS - readily available and cheaper than the GT. virtually same performance7800 GS - best agp card out there right now but a little expensive at ~ $300X850 XT is great value if you can find one......

Guest kilo_sierra17

If you can afford hte 7800GS get it, I have it and I would not want anything else, its awesome.

not sure if a 7800 will be worth the money, the limiting fasctor will be the cpu with FS at least although it may help with other games that do not rely on number crunching and use more graphics power.