Sign in to follow this  
Guest BAW083

"How to ask wife ???"

"Hi everybody",This is in response to you giving me excellent advice to upgrading from "GF4 Ti4600 to Ati 9700Pro".Don`t take this post too seriously, it`s only meant to get some witty responses (really !!!).Now that I`ve been persuaded to upgrade to 9700Pro, how do I persuade my wife to let my get one ???I am relying on your answers, don`t let me down..........Rob

Guest gasebah

Just don't tell her. I do it all the time. My wife has no idea what is inside my computer.Alex

Hmm,#1. LIE,LIE,LIE.....Lie like the stinking flightsim addicted dog that you are. Explain to her that the hardware companies, in their never ending quest of ultimate corruption, have conspired against you and your pc. Tell her that within the week, your current vid card will no longer be supported by your current hardware. Your machine will proceed to melt down & die unless a new card is purchased ( at a very fair price, mind you ) immediately.............. Or if she's to smart for that one .................#2. Beg & Grovel, Beg & Grovel, Beg & Grovel, Beg & Grovel like the stinking flightsim addicted dog that you are. Explain to her that even though she is all you need in this world, you must love yourself completely before you can properly express the depth of your love for her. In order to love yourself completely, you must be whole. To be whole, you need an Ati 9700Pro vid card. Without it, you fear that your marriage is in jeopardy, and your life is....... based on a lie ........... boo hoo....#2 has worked for me on a limited basis :-lolOh yeah, as a last resort I have also tried the "charge triumphantly through the door method". That's the one where you bust into the house looking like you just slayed the dragon and saved the Princess. You wife notices the (insert store of choice) bag you are holding and inquires about its contents. You dramatically yank the vid card out of the bag and proclaim victory at getting the BEST deal in town. You beam as you explain the heroics of your savvy shopping expedition. One must surely marvel at your cunning when it comes to a bargain ! You may need to incorporate a little of #1 for this to work though.If my wife ever sees this post, I will cease to have a wife :-lolCheers & Good Hunting,Roger

Guest danowat

Hi Rob,Just don't tell her!!, my wife would'nt know a graphics card from a hairbrush :).Dan.

1st scenario - Wife doesn't know nothing about computersSeparated bank accountsDon't tell nothing. If the money fails at the end of the month complaint about how much money you spent on groceries.Same bank accountExplain that the computer as a problem (don't lie just don't explain too much) and how miserable you are. That it's your hobby and yes that this hobby will allow you to grow as a person.2nd scenario - Wife is a tech but not too muchSeparated bank accounts or same bank accountBefore buying the card do something to your computer like revert to a know problematic driver, show her how bad the problem is. Discuss the reasons with her and conclude that the card is the problem. Discuss the fast evolution in computers. 2 or 3 days of the most miserable face (but always helping) will do the trick.3rd scenario - Wife really understand computersShe will buy the card, install it and run FSI'm so glad that my wife doesn't belong to the third group.Jos

The only way she will find out is if she is checking where the money is going or if you put it on your shared credit card. If she can find out, you are screwed. Sorry man!

Guest Philip Olson

No, no, no.....You guys have it all wrong, you must do it the way that most of the computer world does, blame it on Microsoft. Tell the wife that you had to install a patch from Microsoft that keeps your computer secure from the hackers of the world but the patch seems to be incompatible with your hardware, stupid Microsoft, and the only way to make your computer work correctly is to get a part that Microsoft supports. Rant and rave about what a terrible company Microsoft is and feign indignation at the fact that you have to replace a piece of your wonderful computer due to their negligence. Of course if she knows a little something about computers you better revert to a problematic driver file or mess with your settings to cause a problem that she can see. When you are done you will feel proud that you and your wife stood up to the greedy corporate giant Microsoft that conspired against your family.Take care!Philip

Here's the least problematic way...Try reverse Psychology...Ask her if she doesn't need a new pair of shoes to go with that snazzy red dress she's wearing... When she buys the shoes, then tell her she can't have them on with that dress without a matching handbag... Then ask her if she doesn't think that beige overcoat of hers isn't starting to look a tad dated, and to go buy a new one...Use your imagineation.........When she's bought all of that she wouldn't dare to say no if you ask her....Cheers//Tonni

Key is this - just do it.It is easier to beg forgiveness than to beg permission. ;)Joe

Joe Lorenc

Guest Lindy

You guys are all most inventive, and I'm glad I'm not married to any of ya! :-lol This problem works both ways, ya know. :-roll I had to sneak around to get upgrades for MY computer cause my hubby couldn't understand the need for another video card, or more RAM, or faster processor or what have you. Hmmm, no more hubby, but I really don't think it was "cause and effect." :-hah -Lindy :-rotor:-outta

Guest danowat

To be sung in the style of meatloaf"I would do anything for FS2002 but I won't do that".:)Dan.

My wife knows me oh to well. She also knows the UPS and FEDEX drivers through her employment. They've been instructed to deliver all packages to her at work. You see, I tried all the above suggestions and got busted. I've found the best way to handle the situation is to just go ahead and order what I want, tell the wife about it and match the cost with something she wants. So, when I get a video card or whatever, instead of it costing $300, it now costs me $600. I just consider her half shipping charges. Moral of the story is, if you can't afford the shipping charges, forget it.

Be up-front and honest. On your way out the door to go shopping just say, "Woman, I'm off to buy a new video card for my computer. Have my dinner ready when I return". Works every time.Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who went with the "what she doesn't know won't hurt me" approach! It is just easier than trying to explain why I need a video card that powerful. I used to be all about honesty in marriage when it came to buying things, but lately I find myself just neglecting to tell her about stuff that she will never know about. I bought it, installed it and destroyed the box while she was out. I'm not proud of it, but I'll get over it.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

I recently got the 9700Pro and it is everything I'd hoped. I ordered it with a nice new flat screen monitor for HER computer. Just explained that I had a new monitor coming for her that would give her much extra desk space and that I also had a small part for my computer coming in the same shipment. With the prices of flat-screens being what they are, the ATI wasn't even noticed.