Sign in to follow this  
bursco

Reinstalling fs2002 to a new partition advice.

Hope someone can give me some advice on reinstalling flight sim on a new partition.I currently have fs2002 and alot of addons installed on c: and want to put it on a new partition just for fs2002 stuff.Can i just copy all of it across or will i have to do a complete reinstall of everything.

You can copy it all across as it is provided your partition is large enough. The entries in the registry are there for software to know where FS2002 is installed. If u install 3rd party software u will have to tell FS2002 where your folder is. Make a copy of your scenery.cfg and Fs2002.cfg before doing it. I would erase fs2002.cfg from the FS2002 folder when u have transfered it and let FS2002 make u anew one. If u do not like that cfg u can erase it and put the opriginal back. You may have to change the line eg:If u run FS2002 without altering below it will tell u where the errors are in your scenery cfg and this will help u in editing it.[Area.122]Texture_ID=Remote=Active=TRUELocal=C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFS2002Scenery767 Pilot in CommandLayer=122Title=767 Pilot in CommandRequired=FALSE[Area.123]Texture_ID=Remote=Active=TRUELocal=scenedbAlicanteLayer=123Title=AlicanteRequired=FALSE these are two entries from my scenery cfg and if it is installed with the drive letter as the one in area 122 is -u will have to change it to your partition. The scenery in 123 as not done this so Fs2002 will find it. This is the registry entry when FS2002 is loaded.[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator8.0]"CDPath"="D:""EXE Path"="C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFS2002""Installed Group"="34359681309""LangID"=dword:00000009"Launched"="1""PID"="55411-442-0895884-14050""Retail"="1""Version"="8.0""VersionType"="RetailVersion""Zone"="http://zone.msn.com/asp/fs02redir.asp"You can change the EXE Path to whatever your partititon lette is e.g:"EXE Path"="F:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFS2002"If you try to edit this make abackup of you registry .If you do not feel like doing this then do not bother. Software looks at this line to know where FS2002 is loaded, but is not neccesary for FS2002 to run.Any other questions I will try and answer. I am fortunate and have two large HDD so I have acopy of FS2002 folder on my D drive and if something goes wrong with FS2002 I delete it of C and put it back from D. I keep this up todate by copying it across weekly so it is more or less up to date. All the best Denis Brown

Thanks very much denis for your detailed reply i will give it a go and if i do get any problems i will certainly askfor your advice again.all the best simon

Simon - I may have made a mistake with this line below:The scenery in 123 as not done this so Fs2002 will find it.This may be for default C: - I have never moved my folder except back to C:. You may end up changing all the scenery lines to tell FS2002 where your scenery is. Anyway u will find out - as I say run it when u have transferred it and see what scenery errors you get. Denis Brown