Sign in to follow this  
Brentd2183

Temporary Vid card upgrade....fx5600 to what?

Hey i want to upgrade the video card i have now, a Geforce 5600 256 to something alittle better. I dont want anything near the top of the line but this card limits me in terms of what i can do for quality in FSX so i want something maybe up to $100 or so that is better than mine. Maybe i'll get whatever the lowest 512mb card is? Little help? I used to be good with building computers back when it was the Voodoo 3 and 4 and so on, highernumber better card and thats all there was too it. Specs if it matters.AMD Atholon XP3000+MSI K7N2 delta board.1GB ramMaxtor 80 gig hardriveAlso on a side note, how low end is this system, from the specs i see people throwing around now i'd say its on the bottom.

Guest allcott

Best match for the rest of the system would be a 6600GTAllcott

I concur.Re: what level your system would be considered nowadays, I'd say medium-low as most of your stuff is 2-3 years old.Gary

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

Guest wayupthere

Depends what resolution you are running fs. As to your budget, you can get a decent midrange 256MB card, if you are looking for 512MB the price would significantly rise and choices are (getting) vairly slim you being on AGP, if wanting a decent card, you have for example the ATI x1300 512MB.. but i dont think price vs perf. vs timespan would be worth it. Like alcot said a Nvidia 66/6800 would suffice and wont be overkill considering your system..Your are right on your side note though, medlow to bottom.

I have a 2 year old system and just bought a xfx 7600GS 512mb. The difference between it and the 9800pro I just replaced it with is great in fsx. Although frame rates are only low with low/medium settings ( no autogen, 14 on rwy , + 20 in air ) I can now keep flying without all the blurries and truly appreciate the work the aces team put into this new sim. This is a great card to hold you over till your next system rebuild.Gary

Perfect!Gary

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

Hi, Don't know much about AMD but I have an eVGA 6900GT that's up for sale ( see swap meet) cheapTony

the card could be perfect as long as your motherboard accepts a pci e graphics card...the 1 you link to on newegg is the pci e version....are you sure yours isnt the agp slotAndrew

Glad someone noticed that for me, yes i have an agp 8x port. So what....or where would i find on that site the AGP version of that card? Maybe a direct link if someone's really feeling good?

Update again, reading my motherboard book i see i have one AGP slot. Then five PCI slots followed by a ACR1 slot. So all you smart people out there can tell me what my next step is.