Sign in to follow this  
Guest victorwest

FSX and Dual Core

Guest victorwest

I know that FSX doesn't take full advantage of dual core technology. However, I was wondering if the following were possible.All system services (except FSX) to one processor core and FSX only to the other core. Is such a thing possible and would it make any difference to the running of FSX?

Sure you can hand-set the processor affinity and you could even set it permanent via a tool but it would not make much of a difference. You would give up the flexabilty and beter responsetimes that that a dualcore has for maybe a few fps more.

simcheck_sig_banner_retro.jpg

Guest navav2002

I believe it's best to let windows manage things...While manually setting affinity may seem logical in theory...Windows may actually be slower to respond..as it now has to now figure out how to handle the data...You could always try it for your self...If you feel a performance gain..Kewl...I'm not so sure you will though...I've tried it with FS9 on my 4800x2 system...No Luck...YMMV...Have Fun!!

Guest victorwest

So it won't make any difference to the running of FSX. Thanks for the answers.

Well, if you have a lot of addons you could run these on the second core. FSX does make a little use of the second core and you will probably lose that by assigning FSX to one core. You'll have to experiment which is faster.Allard.

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

The first additional Core or HT helps. It could come in handy for Flight sim too .. if you have to run Active Sky or radar Contact etc. I have tried changing the affinity of FSX to a single processor but I am unable to discern any FPS jump. So I stopped doing that.But I try not to run any crappy background process to begin with.Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter