Sign in to follow this  
philbrown

Widescreen TV's with PC input

Having just bought a new Xbox 360, I've decided that my standard tv/pc monitor combo does not do justice to it's graphics. So I'm looking at buying an HD widescreen TV with PC input.Problem is, it's for a small bedroom, so I don't want a big unit, but the resolution is only 1366 x 768. I run FS at 1280 x 1024, and switched back to 1024 x 768 and found the quality was awful. I couldn't read anything on the LVD 767 autopilot.The only TV's with a resolution high enough to run 1280 x 1024 are 42" units - way too big (and expensive) for my needs.Am I right in thinking that I will be unable to run FS (or any game on the PC) at more than 1366 x 768? Will the lower resolution make a difference considering it's an HD TV?Thanks for any help.

1280x1024 on 42 is not better then 1366x768 on 32"...Also this is really not an issue. You just compensate by not sitting as close :).I do play on a 32" and if you sit at a metre or less you will notice the pixel grid. Depends a bit on how detailed the game is of course. But sitting so close to a 32" widescreen is not the best for your eyes I guess.I have a Sony KDL 32V2000 (or XBR1) which I am really happy with. Drawback with it is it uses the S-PVA panel which has the highest input lagg of all panels... Differs a bit from screen to screen but this is something all lcd panels has to a much larger extent then CRT panels.However it only truly matters if you are competing in fps games or maybe racing games. For flight sims like FS9 I would say it

Guest flightjunkie

I run Flight Sim on a 26 inch Samsung LCD TV with PC input. Works just fine...

I currently use a 17" square type monitor. I'm only planning to go up to 23". I'm wondering whether the larger size of the screen will compensate for the lower resolution.Will 17" 1280x1024 be better/worse/the same as 23" 1024x768?Also, will I have problems with a widescreen monitor & FS? Will it stretch the panels horribly in 2D mode to fit the screen, or will I get black bars on each side to keep the proper aspect ratio?

I've got no problem running with black borders in order to keep the panel looking right. After all, most PC monitors aren't widescreen.What I am worried about is the resolution limit, and whether the graphics quality will be as bad as my current 17" monitor when I have it set to 1024x768.