Sign in to follow this  

Burning oilfields scenery - next are destroyed bldgs?

I assume the previous thread was locked due to the fact that there were (absolutely unnecessary and false) nationality-based accusations. But this should draw away from the fact that such a scenery is a shame and a clear sign of bad taste. What will be next then? Burning buildings in Baghdad? Weather modifications to show the dark clouds coming from buring oilfields? Baghdad International Aiprt "Special Edition" with destroyed runways?I strongly urge AVSIM to remove this and related files from the library and to issue a clear statement against such postings. Yesterday VATSIM issued a NOTAM which clearly stated that our network should be no place to show militarism, nationalism or any king of war glorifcation. I would be very happy to see AVSIM in joing this position at to take appropriate action to fullfil this statement.Yours,Martin Georg/EDDFVACC-SAG PR & Events Coordinator *** mailto:sag11@vacc-sag.orghttp://www.vacc-sag.org/images/Convention2.gif

Guest Matt Johnson

We fully concur with the position of VATSIM, and apologize for the lapse which occurred in posting this file with inappropriate content. The file has now been removed, and files of this ilk submitted in future will not be posted.AVSIM holds no position with regard to the current events in the Middle East, other than that we will strive to keep all our content, including our forums and Library, free of political content and commentary relating to these events, and free of what may be considered inciteful material.We recognize, and appreciate, the breadth in AVSIM's readership; furthermore, the AVSIM Staff believe that the Flight Simulation Hobby is no place for political discussion, and has been an "oasis" for many from the goings-on in the world. We will do our best to maintain the status quo.

Guest Brent Hebert

While we have your attention, you may want to remove737-200binladenwanted.zip in today's uploads, while you are at it.Brent Hebert

I just want to thank You and to correct one part in my previous posting which was -correctly- locked afterwards.Your statement really brought my believing in this community again. Maybe my feelings were also a bit too early. This statement makes clear we respect each other (also holds true for me) and try to keep such things away from here and leave them to the real live.In my previous posting it clearly made a too rude expression about us and their security. Also I never wanted to say that us citizens want that war. It was clearly too ironic and too polemic at once and for that I apologize here. I also respect you in the same way as I hope you do!Simply let us try to pull on the same end of the rope and try to keep this community clean of such things (files and emotions). Of course sometimes its not possible we all know that very well.All the best and see you in the simulated skies

Guest Matt Johnson

Appears to be already gone.

Guest Brent Hebert

Just got a note from one of the managers and it was taken care of.Brent Hebert

To Whom it may concern: True what is going on in Iraq is not what we Americans wanted (at least not all of us) it's a fact of life and war does happen. but don't don't start censoring someone or something because you don't like it, be it a file or whatever! if you start censoring everything then it's not a democracy. not everyone feels the way youdo,If you want to censor anything take off those stupid reality shows. 707_Astrojet oc

First, since this is a privately owned server, we do have the right to judge what we deem appropriate or not on the AVSIM website. That fact cannot be argued. Second, any reasonable person can most likely see why something like discussed in this thread would be uploaded. It is to get a reaction most likely. From the way I see it, it is about being respectful and sensitive to the fact that people from all over the world access our system and it would be nice if they could access it without worrying about the problems or war, politics, religion, etc being argued about.

Guest Matt Johnson

AVSIM is a private site. We have, and, in this case, are using, the right to choose what we redistribute. If you do not like that policy, you have every right to go elsewhere.

Guest Trevyuk2002

Hello there...Just read this thread and was curious as to what constitutes a file of bad taste or content.The burning oil fields scenery that was removed, although i didnt download it, sounds like it was representing an area of the world as to how it stands at the moment, and is offering the simming public, the chance to virtually fly over the current Iraqi landscape . When flying in the virtual skies, we all would like to being flying over the most accurate scenery as possible. After all, MS themselves removed the twin towers, as they were no longer there when they were due to release their FS2002 product(As Real as it Gets).What i'm curious about is there is a file in the library on AVSIM that is just as political, contains explosions and smoke effects and dipicts a similar time of unrest. This file has not suffered the same critisism and still remains in the library.I dont know who the developer of the scenery was, but i'm sure no offence was intended with the file.These are just my thoughts and i do not mean to offend anyone.http://www.simviation.com/yabbuploads/trev.jpg

Trev,It is always a good possibility that a subjective file slipped by us and was uploaded.Please let us know what the name of the zip file or the files number and we will have a look at it and delete it if necessary.We work very hard to filter out subjective material on a daily basis and you'd be surprised at the number of files that never see the light day in the library.Regards, Rick RossnerSr. Library ManagerAVSIM Onlinewww.avsim.comrick@avsim.com

Hi Trev,no one wants toprevent you from flying over iraq or anywhere else as most people are not offended by this. But this is because you can fly on your own and in privacy!Here it is an open community trying not to offend anyone. But a file which simulates burnig oil field in iraq would be as offensive to the people who are against that war (iraqi or not) as a file would be which (for example) would place you into the seat of an american airlines flight on collision course to the WTC.No one want to prevent airplanes colored in "stars and stripes" or in "black-red-gold" (german colors). But an aircraft painted with a "Dead or alive: Bin Laden" picture is IMHO simply too political to be shown here. And I think this has nothing to do with censorship or preventing other people from doing things they want to. Everyone is free to do anything he wants, but when doing things with other people they need to be respected as they respect you. And this can only be archieved (IMHO) by not allowing such things to be posted here.So I clearly support the actions of the avsim staff!