Sign in to follow this  
Guest BOPrey

Finally, FSX gets FS9 performance.

Guest SanH

this looks so exciting! cant wait to get home and try it out!

Guest Jon ARNZ

Hi Everyone,Well I've been bemused by most of the postings, I expected really bad performnce from FSX, and even though I still only have the demo here are some shots that have been taken showing the results of using the advice given throughout this post. As you can see FPS vary from a low of 20.6 to a high of 50 plus.This first pic shows that I was able to run 3 programs and still get 33 FPS with autogen maxed, mesh etc was set at 50%http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/159166.jpgClose up its performing even better on full screen..http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/159167.jpgThese were the lowest FPS I managed to get, that autogen is denser than anything I have seen in FS9, and as has already been pointed out, lower fps are smoother than the FS9 equivalentshttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/159168.jpgWater effects set to 2, amazing reflections on the surface when you are low enough, and autogen dense.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/159169.jpgI have noticed some blurring on the textures, but this comes and goes along with a few other bugs I have found on the demo, so I will wait for the release version before I pass judgement.My system specs are a Pentium D 920, 2 gig ddr2 ram, NVidia Geforce 7900 GTO with 512 ram (this makes a huge difference). I have to say I'm actually looking forward to getting the real thing and seeing how it performs. A big thanks to everyone for working so hard to offer the advice and tips they have, they work a treat.

Guest BOPrey

FS9 doesn't simulate icing conditions with the flight model. FSX does. At least for me, this alone is well worth the money.

Guest SanH

hipics look great. no one is really having problems generally in FS outside of the cities. most of us, like you are getting decent frame rates. the big problem are the cities. if you fly airliners into the big cities you will struggle around the 10fps mark.hopefully the above fix, which i will try when i get home, will help.

Guest david W.

This thread explains why my 3 year old computer with its old AGP 8X FX5600XT graphics card performs so well.I was wondering how the heck it was matching the performance of a much newer computer. And at some places like KSEA, the newer computer is only getting 5 to 7 fps, my older computer gets 8-11 fps.(This is the same computer that could see the seagulls in FSX Demo1 that nobody else could see. It

>After hours of testing and re-testing...... discovered the>following :>>The best tweak is to rename default.xml->default.bak and then>at fsx.cfg [TERRAIN] section add :>>TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=800>TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=3000>>Its important to try different values for the AutoGens, the>results will vary depending on your system, the maximum value>its said to be 6000>>Then to experience the fully power of FSX go to game options>and place sliders of Scenery and AutoGen both at MAX, if you>experience slow frame rates try with different Scenery>settings but leave AutoGen at MAX ( it wont hurt )>>And thats ALL, no texture replacements or other stuff needed,>already tried to compare fps between FSX with reduced textures>and FSX fresh install and both are almost the same.>AeroMX is correct. I tried this and it gives you the best of both worlds... better FPS and you retain the eye candy. At CYYZ with autotogen "off" and Scenery "low" I was getting about 8-12 FPS on the ground in the CRJ. I now get 12-20 (locked at 20)with Autogen and Scenery "maxed", and all other settings as before.

>Great tips in here, I think the default.xml->default.bak one>was one key thing... To sum it up I just got an FPS increase>of at least ten thousand per cent or so and have now plenty of>settings maxed (including scenery complexity, AutoGen>(@6k/6k), road traffic, global texture size), on a mid-ranged>system, and my frames dead locked at twenty and freezed. I>consider myself a happy camper. :-hah>>Thanks for all the most valuable help. Cheers! :-beerchug>Etienne :-wave>>EDIT>As I see this thread still (fortunately!!!) continues to grow>- any added hint will be greatly appreciated for an even>smoother experience. :-smoochThis is THE tip. I have been going back to flying the heli over downtown Frisco, using it as my benchmark. Untweaked FSX was a disaster at 10-11 FPS.I used the usual tweaks and got three or four increase.Then I used this tweak just now and FPS shot up.I went into display, put autogen UP to very dense, scenery up to very dense; water DOWN to 2 x low.Now i have mid thirties -yes 30s - over frisco and 40 over the water.System AMD 4000 San diego ; 7800GTX nVidia; 2 gigs Ram.Now this IS a sim.BOnus I found for you UK types. I did the same over London and i prefer the city in FSX than with Visual London and VFR scenery in FS9. Your mileage may differ.

Guest jcomm

In my "display.cfg" there is no entry for my ASUS N6600 graphics card, a Geeforce 6600 ...There is a section in fsx.cfg with it correctly identified. Could I place those lines after in in fsx.cfg instead?How can I add my graphics card to "display.cfg"?

>Hi Everyone,>>Well I've been bemused by most of the postings, I expected>really bad performnce from FSX, and even though I still only>have the demo here are some shots that have been taken showing>the results of using the advice given throughout this post. As>you can see FPS vary from a low of 20.6 to a high of 50 plus.>Could you please list the tweaks you applied from this thread? Did you get rid of the default.xml completely? Disabled the shadder? lowered autogen density in CFG?Thanks a lot!

Jason

FAA CPL SEL MEL IR CFI-I MEI AGI

Uh, well yes the fix to rename the default.xml and change the 800 and 3000 etc works, but it works because now we have like no autogen lol. Of course the FPS are higher....anyone else notice the extreme lack of autogen? I think I'll just keep mine off, once you get past 1000ft anyway the textures are so nice you don't need autogen....

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Guest FxF3

ALL I can say is WOW thanks for the great tip. Untill a cpu or gpu comes out to be able to handle FSX this and the autogen reduction makes FSX very enjoyable.

Guest JSPuonti

>Uh, well yes the fix to rename the default.xml and change the>800 and 3000 etc works, but it works because now we have like>no autogen lol.I'm actually getting plenty of autogen after renaming default.xml and with 3000 for trees and 1500 for buildings. The only big difference I noticed around KSEA, for example, was the lack of "randomly placed" trees in between houses. I still get the "city park trees" and forests in the wilderness are as full as they used to be.My framerates have increased greatly, too. I used to get between 8 and 14 FPS overflying KSEA, but now my 20 FPS lock stays pretty much there (except, of course, when new textures are being loaded and it dips).

Please list the nessesary steps in order to tweak FSX as is posted on this topic.Thanks,Bill

Asus Tuf Gaming Plus B550 - Asus Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Asus GeForce 4080 RTX OC Edition - 64GB DDR4 Ram 3600Mhz - EVGA 850W Power Supply - 2X 1 TB NVME PCIE gen 4 - Windows 10

Please list the nessesary steps in order to tweak FSX as is posted on this topic.Thanks,Bill

Asus Tuf Gaming Plus B550 - Asus Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Asus GeForce 4080 RTX OC Edition - 64GB DDR4 Ram 3600Mhz - EVGA 850W Power Supply - 2X 1 TB NVME PCIE gen 4 - Windows 10