Sign in to follow this  
Guest LONEDOVE

WHAT JOYSTICK

Guest CWD

>I would also recommend the Saitek X52>>AND YOU CAN MAP THE MOUSE WHEEL ON THE THROTTLE TO>TRIM!!!!!!!!!!!>(makes trimming a breeze!)The trim wheel is the only part of the X52 that appeals to me. Well, that and having more than one hat switch. (What's so incredibly complicated about the idea of a trim wheel that there have been so precious few sticks ever made equipped with one is lost on me. Of course, we could also blame MS for inexplicably not allowing FS controls to be assigned to wheel on a normal, everyday mouse.) But other than that it's just a lot of buttons and switches I don't have any use for (I'm flying Cessnas cross-country in FS9 here, not F-16s on bombing missions in Falcon 4.0), double the desk space occupied, double the cords cluttering up my space, and double or more the money.

Let me put in another vote for the X52. I use the stick and love it, although I use the CH Throttle Quadrant instead of the X52 one. I also use CH rudder pedals (haven't seen the new Saitek ones yet). I don't even use the Saitek programming software. I just map the controls right in FS2004. I prefer it to the CH yoke, which never felt "right" to me. It just seemed a little flimsy when I used it. Your mileage may vary. Some people swear by it. I also use the X52 in my left hand, and the throttle in my right, to be a little more realistic. While the X52 isn't set up to be flown from the left, it isn't all that uncomfortable either. I do mostly GA flying and I would rather have a yoke than a stick, but until someone makes one that I like and is affordable, I'll stick with the Saitek stuff. Every product I have ever bought from them has been a great value.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

Guest dodger

Hello Hayden, Well i will give it a couple of weeks and if i'm still into these fighters then i think the X52 will have to be on my list from Ms Santa! lol. Thanks for the help , Cheers.

Confused:I, like Glenn, am running the Microsoft Sidewinder Pro under XP with no problems. It is recognized immediately upon plugging into a USB port.I have not tried running it through the game port, so can't tell if that is your problem. Since it comes with a USB adapter, you may want to try using it through a USB port.Wilson

For my laptop at work I use the X45 but I think I am developing a problem with the throttle jumping all over the place. At home I have the HOTAS Cougar and Cirrus Jet yoke and the CH throttle quad with go Flight pedals and they are very pricey but well worth it. I may have to upgrade to the X52 if the problems persist. Although I would love to just get a new X45.

Guest LAzerxxx

Andrew,To be honest, that was one of the reasons I went to the X52. I'm thinking it was something that I did within FS or maybe something, that I'm not sure of, but, the upgrade was well worth it. It does everything I wanted it to and more. Heck! I haven't even realized the full potential of this stick yet.

Hi Hayden,Thanks a lot for this tip! I do have a X52 but most of time I forget to load the correct profile to fly! Unfortunately there is no option to load a default profile every time we start Windows.Your tip is much welcome.By the way - I have been trying to assign the spoilers (gradually from 0 to 100% - not 0% or 100%) to the throttle

Edmundo Azevedo

Guest LAzerxxx

Edmundo, Gotta love Saitek for that reason. I don't know how many times I have forgot to load my profile. But thanks to that little "clutch" button I don't have to re-load MSFS.

I use a MS FFB2 as my main stick and a Saitek Cyborg Evo for a Throttle. Having a full sized stick for a throttle may seem odd, but the Saitek Evo is super comfortable and easy to program for all your throttle needs. It's also $40 when the dedicated throttles are at least twice that.Taking a long look at the X52 Pro mind you. If that puppy was FFB I'd buy it sight unseen.

Guest LAzerxxx

I know that's right. That is one nice looking stick, not to mention some of the extras its got too. It does suck that it is not FFB. That is positively the only draw back to the X series of Saitek.Edmundo,I have tried to do the same thing, but to no avail. I'm sure there is a way to do it. Most of the time I just want to get flying so bad that I just throw my hands up and say "screw it, I'll just use the slash button"....lolSorry I couldn't help you on that one, but if I do find a way to do it, I will surely let you know.

Thanks Hayden!Been struggling with that assignment...but no luck till now!BestEdmundo

Edmundo Azevedo

Guest sb55mv

Hi Gang,Miquel,Thanks for the heads up on the X52 Pro, I had seen some pics of it already, and spoke to Saitek UK, and guess what I was told, it's drivers are only made for FSX, apparently they have not had time to make drivers for FS9.1, and they currently have no plans to either.bummer, what a bad sales move that was, I was all set to order a set, along with the New rudder pedals, now they look amazing.Jan1,KIND,I have assigned ALL my buttons etc from within FS9 to the X52, all I have in a profile is the pinkie shift as a push to talk for Sqawkbox when flying on VATSIM, everything else is assigned from within the sim. it's so much easier that way.also, I noticed that someone mentioned being wanting to be able to assign the spoilers to something, so that they could have them come up,or down in increments,well I use the Slider on the Throttle for that, just click on AXIS assignments in FS9, and then move the slider on the throttle, and FS will pick it up, but, you must then go into the sensitivities assignments and make sure that the slider is activated in the sensitivity, otherwise it won't work, a lot of people go wrong that way.I hope this helps a few of you out.all the best,

Guest LAzerxxx

Steve,How can it only have drivers for a specific game?As far as I know drivers for a peripheral are only game specific on the likes of X-Box and PS2, for which I have one for each. A Saitek mock for Ace Combat 5 and the colossal controller for Steel Battalion on X-box.

Guest sb55mv

Hayden,I should have explained better I think,The Drivers will work for the usual flying axises etc, but the New radio and other items which can now be programmed in via the Throttly and MFD screen are FSX specific, and some of the other newer features will not work in FS9 either, trust me, I asked the head of tech support at Saitek.

Guest Dnsmo

>The Drivers will work for the usual flying axises etc, but the>New radio and other items which can now be programmed in via>the Throttly and MFD screen are FSX specific, and some of the>other newer features will not work in FS9 either, trust me, I>asked the head of tech support at Saitek.Thanks for this information because the product description for the X52 Pro on the Saitek site gives a different impression:"MFD displays data directly from games, including Radio Stack infofrom Microsoft Flight Simulator 9 and 10."Isn't this misleading based upon what you were told??-Dennis